Who's considering the Focus Electric? - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Who's considering the Focus Electric?
Yes 12 12.37%
Maybe 10 10.31%
No 64 65.98%
Need More Information 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #81
rufus728
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101205
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus Coupe S

FF Reputation: 1 rufus728 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I drive 18 mile per day, this would be perfect for me. I also love that it is a move towards a flexible, renewable fuel source and being done by the most successful OEM out of Detroit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #82
jmbarbera
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101372
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Electric

FF Reputation: 1 jmbarbera Good Standing Member
Just test drive one...

The Focus Electric is the real deal. I've had mine for three weeks now and couldn't be happier.

Plenty of power and torque. Very composed in the twistys. I just took a 25 mile mountain road drive (2000 foot climb in 8 miles). Pushed it hard and it never broke a sweat. Coming down I get it all back with regenerative braking.

I've driven over ten different electric cars, including the Tesla Roadster, and this is a serious contender.

The behavior mimics that of an automatic. It creeps when you let off the brake and there's almost no regen until you touch the brake pedal. I prefer "manual" like behavior. No creep and lots of regen when you lift off the accelerator pedal. That's about the only thing I'd change. They limit the torque off the line just before the point of wheel spin. If you drive with the windows open you can hear the tires are just on the verge of breaking loose.

Test drive one and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Your "fuel" costs will be equal to that of a 100 MPG car.
There are over 7000 public charging stations in the US so you're not stuck charging only at home. The car charges from flat to full in about 3 1/2 hours.

Plus...
No oil changes.
No smog checks.
No timing belts.
No mufflers.
No noise.
Just clean, quiet, smooth, power.

Yes, the range is only about 75 miles so you have to decide if you can live with that, but for those in a multi-car household where the other car is gas, it could be a no brainer.

I'm just glad we finally have a choice. I chose electron power and am never going back.

Last edited by jmbarbera; 07-17-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Adding a photo.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #83
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98139
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Electric

Points 225, Level 4
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Spare Good Standing Member
Jmbarbera - I love the post and completely agree..... I have a White Platinum FFE. So many start out thinking you have to baby this girl. Not the case. Have fun, drive hard and stay cool. Gone electric and staying there!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #84
jmbarbera
Focus Rookie

A word of advice is you're considering buying one:
Don't let the dealer drill the center lower hole when they install the front plate bracket. They drill the grill and bumper and if you ever remove it, you'll have three holes that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I made a white decal to cover the bumper hole. The grill holes aren't too noticeable.

If you are in a front plate state, use VHB tape where the bracket touches the bumper.
The front plate destroys the clean look of the front end. That's why you never see glam shots of the car with a front plate. The Ford recommended location seems a bit high to me. I'm going to try lowering it so it's centered on the bumper. I'm still waiting for my plates though.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #85
jmbarbera
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy627 View Post
There are a LOT of reasons why gas-electric hybrids are stupid. First, they are a lot more complicated. The dual propulsion system costs about $8k per vehicle extra. Consumer reports estimated gas would have to equal $8.50 a gallon to break even. Second, you have much less cargo space, because you have to haul all those batteries. Third, the performance of the batteries degrades over time, so the range gets shorter and shorter.

The new Focus gets 37mpg - 40 if you get one with the air shutters. That is a phenomenal engineering feat for such a big car. (better gas mileage than the toy-like Fiat, with 160HP vs. the Fiat's 110HP).
I used to think plug-in hybrids were stupid too. They are if you think about them as merely high mileage gas cars. Better to just buy a pure gas car.

I know three Volt owners and none of them buy any gas at all. Their fuel costs are equal to that of a 100 MPG car and they're running on pure electricity but still have the range for trips to Wally World. I bought a Focus Electric because we still have the wife's van for long trips. But for a single car household that wants to electrify all local routine miles, the Volt is a very nice and fun to drive package. I'm looking forward to the C-Max Energi plug in. If they're going to go to the trouble of putting a battery in a gas car, put a plug on it and allow it to be powered from the grid.

Driving electric comes at a high up front cost, but that's where we are right now in the overall development of electric transportation. Early adopters will pay the premium price so that down the road electric cars will make economic sense for more people. They won't be for everyone, but it's great we finally have a choice.

When I drove my gas car, I felt like Fred Flintstone. Now I feel like George Jetson. Electricity is the fuel of the future.

BTW: If you're going to buy a gas Focus, opt for the manual transmission.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #86
forddorf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31248
What I Drive: 2001 malibu blue zx3 / turbo-2004

Points 898, Level 15
Points: 898, Level: 15 Points: 898, Level: 15 Points: 898, Level: 15
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 forddorf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I love the idea of electric cars, but I am concerned that when they become very popular, electricity prices will go sky high. We don't want to become to dependent on one type of energy.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #87
tzuanich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100492
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL 301A

FF Reputation: 1 tzuanich Good Standing Member
Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddorf View Post
I love the idea of electric cars, but I am concerned that when they become very popular, electricity prices will go sky high. We don't want to become to dependent on one type of energy.
Electric Energy does exists naturally, it usually is converted from another source, usually natural gas or fossil fuel. Electric Car gives you the most independence because you use multiple fuels to power it. You can plug it into a gas generator if you want use gas, you connect to a solar array or you get it straight from Edison if you like. A Gasoline Car is solely dependent on GAS, that is why the cartels can charge what the market will bear.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #88
jmbarbera
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent JG View Post
The range is good enough for my daily commute and for the foreseeable future electricity is included in our rent. However seeing that battery pack take up what looks to be most of the cargo area is a major buzz kill.
Not really a big deal. You lose about 3 cubic feet. Bike fits fine. Maybe two.

Carried an 8' x 10' area rug.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #89
Focusneek
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95824
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Focusneek Good Standing Member
how long will the battery last and whats the replacement cost on them?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #90
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98139
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Electric

Points 225, Level 4
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Spare Good Standing Member
How long will the battery last and what does it cost?

Go to the following link and you will be able to see the replacement cost of all Electric parts and the warranty. The warranty states 8 years and/or 100,000 miles.

http://owner.ford.com

There are lots of usable links to directly deal with your auto. You become a member by using your SYNC login and your car is identified by the VIN number. If I wanted a new battery. (Not really, but what if I did?) the BEV is listed part # 10B759 and the cost is $10,508.38

Bookmarks & Social Networks