Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 122 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #1211
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,017, Level 27
Points: 2,017, Level: 27 Points: 2,017, Level: 27 Points: 2,017, Level: 27
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have no way to know if this is accurate, but that God awful sound makes me think that the clutch that's "next up" in the gear change process is engaging before the gears are ready, causing them to grind against one- another instead of allowing them to mesh. That just doesn't make sense because by the time you're ready for a gear change, the next set of gears should already be set to go. This is just the only scenario I can come up with that involves a software mistake during shifting....bad clutch timing, or a failure to completely disengage it. Clearly the people who have had their transmissions replaced and are still experiencing this issue have a software issue. Finding and exorcising that demon may be Ford's the biggest challenge yet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1212
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I have no way to know if this is accurate, but that God awful sound makes me think that the clutch that's "next up" in the gear change process is engaging before the gears are ready, causing them to grind against one- another instead of allowing them to mesh. That just doesn't make sense because by the time you're ready for a gear change, the next set of gears should already be set to go. This is just the only scenario I can come up with that involves a software mistake during shifting....bad clutch timing, or a failure to completely disengage it. Clearly the people who have had their transmissions replaced and are still experiencing this issue have a software issue. Finding and exorcising that demon may be Ford's the biggest challenge yet..
I agree. I've worked on cars and machinery all my life and that's exactly how this noise sounds to me. These clutches , I believe, are controlled by 4 solenoids and it sounds like they are fighting each other or not operating correctly. I've heard the same type of chatter when solenoids or relays experience a voltage drop, contacts are dirty or corroded.

I don't agree with anyone who says this noise is normal. If it was normal, I would have heard it in first 1500 miles, (I didn't) and all Ford cars with the DCT would be experiencing the same noises (I know this isn't true). Also, if normal, the noise would be there from start up, mine takes at least 20 to 25 minutes of driving before the noise appears. Sounds heat related to me.

Thanks for your input, cbdallas. From some of the other repies here I was beginning to think I have been imagining noises and sloppy shifting.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #1213
whitehatch
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101493
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 whitehatch Good Standing Member
Yeah this is a reported problem by many and you clearly aren't the only one. Give it some time for the computer to recognize your driving habits and hopefully it will be reasonable. I have a SEL with dual- clutch automatic so I understand exactly what you mean.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #1214
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Well I solved my transmission problem. I hate bulls**t, and that's all I was getting from Ford. I bought a Chevy Cruze. I couldn't be happier!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #1215
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
Well I solved my transmission problem. I hate bulls**t, and that's all I was getting from Ford. I bought a Chevy Cruze. I couldn't be happier!
Good for you! Now you can start posting here! :)

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/
Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #1216
mysticowner96
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101931
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Explorer limited

FF Reputation: 1 mysticowner96 Good Standing Member
I can't beleive they did that

I went to the local Ford dealership as I've done about 19 times before. I went to buy a new Focus or Fusion the plan was to drive them both and pick one. I drove the SE models. I was after a car that gave decent gas milage this time. I have a Cobra, Exporer and a Ford F250 none of which make me smile at the gas pump!
Long story short I drove 3 Focus and 2 Fusions and told the salesman I wasn't going to buy either of them! Yes, transmission issue in each one.
They also sold KIA's at the dealership. The salesman suggested I look at the Optima. Smoother ride, more power, better handling, quieter ride, more equipment, lower price and much better warrenty.
I left with the KIA. I can't believe for the first time in 40 years I bought a new vehicle other than a Ford. They better get their act together or the next vehicle I buy may not be a Ford either. I'm not stupid enough to buy a Ford just because its a Ford. They have to earn my money just like I do.
The Ford was a sorry sorry second that day.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #1217
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

Points 9,175, Level 64
Points: 9,175, Level: 64 Points: 9,175, Level: 64 Points: 9,175, Level: 64
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticowner96 View Post
I went to the local Ford dealership as I've done about 19 times before. I went to buy a new Focus or Fusion the plan was to drive them both and pick one. I drove the SE models. I was after a car that gave decent gas milage this time. I have a Cobra, Exporer and an Ford F250 none of which make me smile at the gas pump!
Long story short I drove 3 Focus and 2 Fusions and told the salesman I wasn't going to buy either of them! Yes, transmission issue in each one.
They also sold KIA's at the dealership. The slaesman suggested I look at the Optima. Smoother ride, more power, better handling, quieter ride, more equipment, lower price and much better warrenty.
I left with the KIA. I can't believe for the first time in 40 years I bought a new vehicle other than a Ford. They better get their act together or the next vehicle I buy may not be a Ford either. I'm not stupid enough to buy a Ford just because its a Ford. They have to earn my money just like I do.

what was the transmission problem with the Fusion?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #1218
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticowner96 View Post
I went to the local Ford dealership as I've done about 19 times before. I went to buy a new Focus or Fusion the plan was to drive them both and pick one. I drove the SE models. I was after a car that gave decent gas milage this time. I have a Cobra, Exporer and a Ford F250 none of which make me smile at the gas pump!
They also sold KIA's at the dealership. The salesman suggested I look at the Optima. Smoother ride, more power, better handling, quieter ride, more equipment, lower price and much better warrenty.
The question should be---Why are you posting here?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #1219
mysticowner96
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101931
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Explorer limited

FF Reputation: 1 mysticowner96 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
The question should be---Why are you posting here?
I guess just that I feel your frustration. Being Ford Blue I felt that I let them down. In reality they let me down. I wish you all the luck in the world in resolving the issues.
Sorry I didn't mean to bother anyone I was just frustrated along with the rest of you
as I too was Ford Blue through and through.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #1220
theoldguard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus & 2012 Fiesta

FF Reputation: 1 theoldguard Good Standing Member
Took a few minutes to sightsee the problem page on Chevy Cruze. No one thing keeps coming up, unlike the Focus page. Cruze transmission complaints are that it shifts too hard. Might not be a bad idea to send some of those Chevy guys to Ford. Focus has very slow upshifts. Thought DCM was supposed to be right now, like VW. One guy did have total transmission failure. Cruze transmission is conventional. Might also be interesting to see whats going on with new Mazda 3 Skyactiv transmission.

Bookmarks & Social Networks