How To: HVAC (Climate Controls) Broken Cable - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
nomind
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95234
What I Drive: 2000 Primer ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 nomind Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How To: HVAC (Climate Controls) Broken Cable

I've seen several posts regarding broken vent selector cables, and I decided that when I did mine, I would document them, so that others would be able to try and do this on their own. On a scale 1-10, I would rate this about a 4.5, and installation took me about 1.5 hours, documenting, (and the one minor screw up).

First thing you need to do, is remove the radio, and the four bolts behind it (7MM I think).

Pull the face plate forward, and start unhooking the electrical connections. You will need to disconnect the hazard switch first in order to really be able to get to the rest of the connections.

At this point, you can either unhook the selector knobs,so you just have them to deal with, or leave them connected to the trim panel. If you are replacing the whole thing with one from a junk yard like I did, I'd just leave them hooked up.

Remove the lower dash panel underneath the steering column (8MM I think), and let it hang. The other end of the cables are close to where your right knee would probably be. They look like this:

There are three mounting tabs that need to be released in order to remove the cables.

Here:

And here:

Once the tabs are released, the cables will just slide up and through the back of the dash area:

First one

Then the other

I pulled these apart, so if you just got the cable from Ford, this is how they work. There is a release tab at the top of the selector, and then the cable assembly will just pull away like a hinge.

Release tab

Pulling away

What the good cable looks like

The new ones just clip straight back onto the selector lever

Lined up

Back together

Reattach the cables to the trim panel. This is where I had a small issue. The cables will only attach back to their correct location under the dash, and the selector knobs will only go onto one spot on the control panel. However, if you take the cables off, they will go onto the back of either selector knob. This resulted in my temp knob controlling the vent output, and vice versa. So I would recommend swapping one cable at a time if you need to. If getting them from a junk yard, just don't undo them from the back of the selector knob.

New cables into the trim panel

New cables under the dash

At this point, all that is left is to make you electrical connections back, put the trim back in, and reattach the lower dash panel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
good work, I like this how-to. I'll see if we can put it somewhere.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115674
What I Drive: 2006,Black,LS

FF Reputation: 1 roberted5 Good Standing Member
How do the knobs come off.I have the whole cable assembly but the knob just won't pull off.

The temp knob cane right off but the knob that changes direction of the air either is stuck or isn't supposed to come off?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115674
What I Drive: 2006,Black,LS

FF Reputation: 1 roberted5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberted5 View Post
How do the knobs come off.I have the whole cable assembly but the knob just won't pull off.

The temp knob cane right off but the knob that changes direction of the air either is stuck or isn't supposed to come off?
Even though you get the whole assembly,knob is stuck like glue.It's much easier to leave knob in and detach by releasing two catches one on bottom side one on top.Do bottom 1st but be careful not to pry it too much,it's looks like it would break easy in cold weather.

Now for blowing out vents,if there is no debris then replacing cables doesn't fix anything for the new cables are hanging up.Contacts was lubed but something else is causing the door to bind up.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
kkblparker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116204
What I Drive: 2005 black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 kkblparker Good Standing Member
i have replaced this many times mine broke because the gears im my junction box are messed up if it is hard to turn may be the problem and will keep breaking the cables
Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
clshores
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119901
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 clshores Good Standing Member
Can someone provide the cable assembly part numbers for both the temperature control and function control cables?

Will make life easier to order when needed.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
chikn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108621
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 chikn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberted5 View Post
Even though you get the whole assembly,knob is stuck like glue.It's much easier to leave knob in and detach by releasing two catches one on bottom side one on top.Do bottom 1st but be careful not to pry it too much,it's looks like it would break easy in cold weather.

Now for blowing out vents,if there is no debris then replacing cables doesn't fix anything for the new cables are hanging up.Contacts was lubed but something else is causing the door to bind up.
Just finished this job and the knob does come off. Bought the cable unit at a Ford dealership for $60. (yep Canadian prices!) You just gotta put a little force on it with a screwdriver. I also put a little bit of light grease on the slide for the diverter. Hopefully that smooths things out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks