Flex Fuel...Why? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Flex Fuel...Why?

I've always understood what flex fuel cars were, but this is my first time owning one so now I pay more attention to it.

I am very curious as to WHY have a car that can run off E85?

It gets worse fuel mileage. It seems to be cheaper, but the lower MPG negates that. It's much more corrosive. And it's not like there's an ethanol station at every corner. I doubt too many people will be in the scenario of desperately needing gas and there not being a gas station nearby, but hey, "there's an ethanol station over there".

What is the point of Flex Fuel?

2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I've always understood what flex fuel cars were, but this is my first time owning one so now I pay more attention to it.

I am very curious as to WHY have a car that can run off E85?

It gets worse fuel mileage. It seems to be cheaper, but the lower MPG negates that. It's much more corrosive. And it's not like there's an ethanol station at every corner. I doubt too many people will be in the scenario of desperately needing gas and there not being a gas station nearby, but hey, "there's an ethanol station over there".

What is the point of Flex Fuel?
Besides the fact that the manufacturers got CAFE credits towards their fuel economy, as they got to count only the 15% of the fuel that was gasoline in their cafe mpg figures?

Well there is the fact that if the EPA and the government try to force more ethanol in regular gas its better to have the car calibrated to run on it than getting screwed out of being able to drive on account of not being able to get fuel.

The point was that the manufacturers got to make a cheap change that increased their cafe scores and gained them credits to use towards delaying progress in improving the actual fuel economy of the cars.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Also, ethanol is a renewable source of energy, so the efficiency isn't as important as far as gas mileage is concerned. People want better mileage now because we have this whole energy crisis with oil, but you give me a bigger gas tank and cheaper ethanol, and the fact that they end up negating the differences in cost vs efficiency means that it doesn't matter.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Also, ethanol is a renewable source of energy, so the efficiency isn't as important as far as gas mileage is concerned. People want better mileage now because we have this whole energy crisis with oil, but you give me a bigger gas tank and cheaper ethanol, and the fact that they end up negating the differences in cost vs efficiency means that it doesn't matter.
we cannot grow enough corn to fully replace oil, if every car used E85 we would run out really fast.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Ethanol is the DEVIL!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
02svtf300
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83769
What I Drive: 2002 sonic blue SVT(moded)

FF Reputation: 2 02svtf300 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCornell View Post
Ethanol is the DEVIL!
I agree... its a sales gimmick tords the ignorant
Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
we cannot grow enough corn to fully replace oil, if every car used E85 we would run out really fast.
Especially with a summer like we've had across the country. How do you make fuel when corn doesn't grow period?
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
I would've preferred to have gotten a E85 Focus just for the peace of mind because of the Ethanol in regular fuel and there has been some talk to increase the Ethanol content in regular fuel. The Liberals are ruining everyones cars just because they wanna save the environment. But the oil companies will play along just because they are saving millions by using less regular gas and using cheaper Ethanol, they made even more money when Obama gave oil companies money to use Ethanol in regular fuel.

I believe the Tax Payers should have a choice in fuel. Since its my car and I don't want to ruin it just to please the bleeding heart Liberals.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Nick Markham
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100866
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Nick Markham Good Standing Member
Until E85 gets around $2.25 a gallon, stay away from that CRAP!!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
Who said we were fully replacing oil? I just said it's renewable. And just like many other plants I'm sure you can use artificial means of growing corn indoors with artificial sunlight and so on and so forth, especially if the only use it's going to have is to provide fuel.

Either way, the dependence on oil needs to stop, but of course the oil industry is too greedy for that to happen, considering GM tried in the 90s with a perfectly viable electric car, of which hundreds or thousands now sit derelict in a lot somewhere because of the greed of the oil industry. Sad that over 10 years later we're finally seeing electric cars and other means of alternative fuels really taking off.
Sonic Crew #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks