My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 26 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #251
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Cheaper over the year, better overall.
Again you seem to be equating "cheaper" and "better deal". Like I said, it's more than twice as expensive so, in the above example (1 change with Amsoil vs. 2 with Mobil 1 & Motorcraft filter), it is in no way cheaper over the year.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #252
TiStick
Boob Whisperer
 
TiStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96514
Location: Los Banos, CA
What I Drive: LesVagon

Posts: 6,104
Points 3,692, Level 38
Points: 3,692, Level: 38 Points: 3,692, Level: 38 Points: 3,692, Level: 38
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Again you seem to be equating "cheaper" and "better deal". Like I said, it's more than twice as expensive so, in the above example (1 change with Amsoil vs. 2 with Mobil 1 & Motorcraft filter), it is in no way cheaper over the year.
If I can go for much longer w/o crawling under the car, that makes sense to me. My time is actually quite valuable to me. So, 1 Amsoil change in the same interval as 2 M1 changes equates to less time on my back. There is value to be had there alone.
__________________
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
TiStick is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #253
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast
 
UnleashedBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100738
Location: Pensacola, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 292
FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Everyone has their preference.

I choose to change my oil no more than once a year while sparing the environment with waste oil. Yes, I understand they recycle most of it, but that requires additional energy. As a side benefit, I also have less wear.

The UOA's of proof are on the way, just give it time.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT custom ordered to replace the GT500: Sterling Gray, NAV, Recaros, Brembos, Glass Roof, back up camera, 6 speed auto, loaded
2012 Focus Titanium - 18" wheels with handling package
2009 GT500 Shelby (700 rwhp) - sold
UnleashedBeast is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #254
Napalm
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83922
Location: Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatch

Posts: 53
FF Reputation: 1 Napalm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
y'all are gonna hate me.

First off - per other SAE studies. With a good filter and some time, i like a 5K change. with a good filter and some synthetic I trust, I will go until the monitor goes off.

However - what do I trust is a very short list. M1, Amsoil, and Castrol.

but as said if you just can't stand it - change it more often - hurts nothing but your wallet.

But my biggest thing - run a filter magnet. I don't care if you use cheap oil that you change often. I don't care if you use some magic brand filter etc (I prefer wix). I don't care what you drive.

USE A FILTER MAGNET!!!


Now I'm not also selling those 59 dollar filter mags from Jegs or Summit etc. Use what you can find easily.

I use the magnets off the heads of sonicare toothbrushes, or magnets out of a harddrive. Yes really. Why - they were free. And guess what they are strong enought to stay on the filter of a 500 HP v8 car in Memphis City traffic over a 6 month period.

Then they are also strong enough to pull iron metals to the sides of the filter. And again - cheap.

Meanwhile in my family car I use 9 quarts of Amsoil 5-30 and a wix gold filter.

for my new focus - I intend to use Amsoil in it too and some filter. That is up for debate currently.
__________________
If guns kill people, spoons cause diabetes.

My other car is a 4 door family car.
Napalm is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #255
DudleyF
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101203
Location: Brunswick, OH
What I Drive: 2002 Civic, 2007 Outback LLBean

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 DudleyF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
With modern engines, modern oil and the detergent additives used, the intervals you are talking about are just plain silly. You can make the argument that it's cheap, ink carts cost more, etc. but that does not change that fact that you are advocating plain, unnecessary waste. Milk is cheap too, but I do not buy gallons of it then go dump it in the street just because I can readily afford to.

I have put in excess of 230,000 miles on 13 different cars (that's 230k, minimum, on each, not all combined). Each was maintained to the letter of the manufacturer's maintenance intervals. In some cases the oil change was 5,000 miles (some turbo engines from the `80s), in most cases it is 7,500, and in others 10,000 or more.

In every single case; not some, not most, but every case I have had zero engine, bearing or any issues of any kind that could be traced to or blamed on insufficient oil changes. My Civic just passed 250k and still does not burn a drop between it's 10,000-mile interval. I have done partial tear downs of some engines I put over 300k on for fun (the engine was still running great but the body so corroded and structurally unsound from the salty winters we get here that the car was worth little more than scrap metal), and found no significant buildup in the oil galleys, valves, etc. Many independent labs have done studies on this and found that oil actually reaches it's best lubricating properties between 2k and 7k miles also.

You can of course piss your money away however you wish if it makes you feel better, but what you suggest is in no way better for your car, improves its performance or will make it last longer. The placebo effect is strong, however, and this is all you'll get from 3k oil changes.
DudleyF is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #256
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast
 
Pretherius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97062
Location: Columbus, OH
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

Posts: 512
FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyF View Post
With modern engines, modern oil and the detergent additives used, the intervals you are talking about are just plain silly. You can make the argument that it's cheap, ink carts cost more, etc. but that does not change that fact that you are advocating plain, unnecessary waste. Milk is cheap too, but I do not buy gallons of it then go dump it in the street just because I can readily afford to.

I have put in excess of 230,000 miles on 13 different cars (that's 230k, minimum, on each, not all combined). Each was maintained to the letter of the manufacturer's maintenance intervals. In some cases the oil change was 5,000 miles (some turbo engines from the `80s), in most cases it is 7,500, and in others 10,000 or more.

In every single case; not some, not most, but every case I have had zero engine, bearing or any issues of any kind that could be traced to or blamed on insufficient oil changes. My Civic just passed 250k and still does not burn a drop between it's 10,000-mile interval. I have done partial tear downs of some engines I put over 300k on for fun (the engine was still running great but the body so corroded and structurally unsound from the salty winters we get here that the car was worth little more than scrap metal), and found no significant buildup in the oil galleys, valves, etc. Many independent labs have done studies on this and found that oil actually reaches it's best lubricating properties between 2k and 7k miles also.

You can of course piss your money away however you wish if it makes you feel better, but what you suggest is in no way better for your car, improves its performance or will make it last longer. The placebo effect is strong, however, and this is all you'll get from 3k oil changes.
So you've had bearing issues that you could definitively say were -not- due to maintenance habits?

I ask because, personally, I've purchased used cars that developed bearing issues. I'd be hard pressed to say for certain it wasn't because of maintenance habits.

I don't think your milk-dumping analogy is great because what you're talking about is purely wasteful. I'd liken it more to people who live an inactive lifestyle--there's a decent chance that they'll live to be elderly, but if they'd make the investment and exercise they would increase their odds. Similar to diligent vehicle maintenance--it's not a guarantee but it improves your odds, so it isn't a complete waste of money.
Pretherius is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #257
Napalm
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83922
Location: Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatch

Posts: 53
FF Reputation: 1 Napalm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyF View Post
With modern engines, modern oil and the detergent additives used, the intervals you are talking about are just plain silly. You can make the argument that it's cheap, ink carts cost more, etc. but that does not change that fact that you are advocating plain, unnecessary waste. Milk is cheap too, but I do not buy gallons of it then go dump it in the street just because I can readily afford to.

I have put in excess of 230,000 miles on 13 different cars (that's 230k, minimum, on each, not all combined). Each was maintained to the letter of the manufacturer's maintenance intervals. In some cases the oil change was 5,000 miles (some turbo engines from the `80s), in most cases it is 7,500, and in others 10,000 or more.

In every single case; not some, not most, but every case I have had zero engine, bearing or any issues of any kind that could be traced to or blamed on insufficient oil changes. My Civic just passed 250k and still does not burn a drop between it's 10,000-mile interval. I have done partial tear downs of some engines I put over 300k on for fun (the engine was still running great but the body so corroded and structurally unsound from the salty winters we get here that the car was worth little more than scrap metal), and found no significant buildup in the oil galleys, valves, etc. Many independent labs have done studies on this and found that oil actually reaches it's best lubricating properties between 2k and 7k miles also.

You can of course piss your money away however you wish if it makes you feel better, but what you suggest is in no way better for your car, improves its performance or will make it last longer. The placebo effect is strong, however, and this is all you'll get from 3k oil changes.
I do. Every Saturday morning around 8 I stand in my front yard and pour 2 gallons of milk over my nekkid body while yelling out OOOH Milk bath biatches pour that on your cheerios!!!

They go back inside and do the crossword. I mean its one of the joys of home ownership everyone should try.

Meanwhile I partially agree with your premise.

If a person is going to run 3K changes - great have fun - I drive too much but whatever. If you are - save a buck or 2 and use something like Mobil 5000 clean - its great dino oil. Or Valvoline.
__________________
If guns kill people, spoons cause diabetes.

My other car is a 4 door family car.
Napalm is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #258
DudleyF
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101203
Location: Brunswick, OH
What I Drive: 2002 Civic, 2007 Outback LLBean

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 DudleyF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
So you've had bearing issues that you could definitively say were -not- due to maintenance habits?

I ask because, personally, I've purchased used cars that developed bearing issues. I'd be hard pressed to say for certain it wasn't because of maintenance habits.

I don't think your milk-dumping analogy is great because what you're talking about is purely wasteful. I'd liken it more to people who live an inactive lifestyle--there's a decent chance that they'll live to be elderly, but if they'd make the investment and exercise they would increase their odds. Similar to diligent vehicle maintenance--it's not a guarantee but it improves your odds, so it isn't a complete waste of money.

Fair enough question since I was not very clear in my comment, so let me simply clarify it by saying I've never had any *engine* bearing issues, nor valve issues, nor any internal engine problems of any kind for that matter (I emphasize "engine" because wheel bearing issues are another issue).

You could be totally right that your purchased cars had engine bearing issues from maintenance problems. Note that I said I maintain to the letter of the manufacturer's intervals for all maintenance, whatever that may be. Many people do not even do that and I personally know many folks who've not changed the oil in their cars in 25k or more miles. THAT I do not advocate.

Again, I disagree about your last sentence because I do not think it improves your odds at all, and only buys that "good feeling" that you are going above and beyond. Contrary to belief, auto manufacturers do NOT want your engine to fail prematurely - it would kill their reputation in the market as well as their sales (not to mention open themselves to all kinds of litigation), so millions of miles of testing go into determining the optimal change intervals, which are then usually derated an additional 20% to 30% to give some overhead (or "padding," if you will) since most people are not so "to the letter" on the maintenance guide.

In other words, you could probably go even longer and still be fine, but again, I am not advocating anyone do that, only that you do what the company that engineered your engine - and know it far better than you - suggest you do.
DudleyF is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #259
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast
 
Pretherius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97062
Location: Columbus, OH
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

Posts: 512
FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyF View Post
You could be totally right that your purchased cars had engine bearing issues from maintenance problems. Note that I said I maintain to the letter of the manufacturer's intervals for all maintenance, whatever that may be. Many people do not even do that and I personally know many folks who've not changed the oil in their cars in 25k or more miles. THAT I do not advocate.
Well... sure. I had an '02 Taurus with bearing trouble. I bought it with 35K on the clock. Maybe it never had an oil change. I just find that unlikely.

Quote:
Again, I disagree about your last sentence because I do not think it improves your odds at all, and only buys that "good feeling" that you are going above and beyond.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Oil--like coolant, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid--doesn't stop working all of a sudden like flipping a switch. It's a long, slow progression from "perfect" to "might as well run mud in the crankcase." If your carmaker suggests changing the oil at 10K but I insist on changing mine at 7,500, you're putting 1/4 of your miles on with more worn down oil than I am. Maybe your engine lives long enough to see you sell the car regardless, and maybe it doesn't. But your odds are certainly better changing fluids more often. (Whether that's worth your extra time and money is a separate philosophical discussion.)

Peace of mind isn't worthless either.
Pretherius is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #260
DudleyF
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101203
Location: Brunswick, OH
What I Drive: 2002 Civic, 2007 Outback LLBean

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 DudleyF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
Well... sure. I had an '02 Taurus with bearing trouble. I bought it with 35K on the clock. Maybe it never had an oil change. I just find that unlikely.


I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Oil--like coolant, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid--doesn't stop working all of a sudden like flipping a switch. It's a long, slow progression from "perfect" to "might as well run mud in the crankcase." If your carmaker suggests changing the oil at 10K but I insist on changing mine at 7,500, you're putting 1/4 of your miles on with more worn down oil than I am. Maybe your engine lives long enough to see you sell the car regardless, and maybe it doesn't. But your odds are certainly better changing fluids more often. (Whether that's worth your extra time and money is a separate philosophical discussion.)

Peace of mind isn't worthless either.

Or maybe that engine had defective bearings, or a bad design. In either case changing the oil every 100 miles would have made NO difference.

You are right, it is a long slow progression, and as I noted many, many, many tests have been done by oil companies, car manufacturers, independent labs, etc. over the years that have proven that the threshold where oil starts to become ineffective is way beyond what the suggested maintenance intervals call for in all cars.

I was an expat living and working in Europe for quite a number of years, and they have been recommending extended changes intervals (typically 1.5 to 2 times longer than ours) for 20+ years. The oil life monitor in the BMW I had usually came on for a change around 16,000 miles on average, and that's with regular autobahn blasts (foot to the floor). There has been 0% increase in engine failures as a result.

Again, do as you please, but you are not benefiting your car, only the oil companies (who indeed will appreciate you for it).
DudleyF is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.