My thoughts on mods - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #51
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusOnMeNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97757
Location: Whittier, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

Posts: 206
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did Ford underrate this engine? 30 hp off bolt ons is alot. What's it like to gave 30 nore horses? Less mpg? Better torque? I've never modified a car before.
FocusOnMeNow is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #52
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,489
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
Did Ford underrate this engine? 30 hp off bolt ons is alot. What's it like to gave 30 nore horses? Less mpg? Better torque? I've never modified a car before.
Go over and look at/read the dyno thread. WITH a tune 30hp with intake, exhaust.

Since we can't tune there's no telling for sure what we'll get out of all this. Your hp and torque will both go up. Gas mileage will most likely go down. There are a ton of factors to consider. Do some reading around the forum. Check out the 2nd Gen's performance thread to see what a similar engine was making with similar mods.
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #53
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 12,003
FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Red or Focusboy would be the ones to confirm/deny mpg, and they probably don't drive in a manner to try and eek it all out. I wouldn't expect a substantial decrease if you continued to drive normal, but that's a bit difficult when your car is suddenly more fun to drive.

30 hp/lb ft is roughly a 20+% increase over stock, so it would be quite noticeable. Driveability isn't how much tq you have as much as where it is in your powerband. More tq earlier is better for a dd, later is better for RACECAR.

Go through the dyno chart thread, they all have links to the discussions about the mods and are quite informative.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #54
Dink7898
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100979
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5-door MT

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 Dink7898 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So what is everyone's guess as to what this engine is really capable of when the options start flowing? I'm talking the basics exhaust, intake, ingnition, ecu, throttle bodies. And then to start throwing porting and cams in the mix, MAN I CANT WAIT. I'm really excited to see where this thing winds up. I'm not talking ST power but would 210 or 220 whp n/a be fesable.
__________________
2001 ZX3 CD Silver MT: Fastest time 0-60ft 2.1, 15.5 q/mile, 87.1 mph.
Purchased 6/14/01 with 7 miles - Traded in 6/25/12 with 122,355.

2012 SE Sport 5dr Ingot Silver MT:
Purchased 6/25/12 with 30 miles.
Dink7898 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #55
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04
 
darkangelism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85425
Location: oklahoma city, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 7,275
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink7898 View Post
So what is everyone's guess as to what this engine is really capable of when the options start flowing? I'm talking the basics exhaust, intake, ingnition, ecu, throttle bodies. And then to start throwing porting and cams in the mix, MAN I CANT WAIT. I'm really excited to see where this thing winds up. I'm not talking ST power but would 210 or 220 whp n/a be fesable.
I don't expect all of that stuff to get made a lot of companies will just work on ST parts, but assuming they are on the MT that is probably possible
darkangelism is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #56
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,489
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
With decent tuning and nothing too crazy on the mod side, I'd love to see 200hp at the wheels
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #57
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusOnMeNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97757
Location: Whittier, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

Posts: 206
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Red or Focusboy would be the ones to confirm/deny mpg, and they probably don't drive in a manner to try and eek it all out. I wouldn't expect a substantial decrease if you continued to drive normal, but that's a bit difficult when your car is suddenly more fun to drive.

30 hp/lb ft is roughly a 20+% increase over stock, so it would be quite noticeable. Driveability isn't how much tq you have as much as where it is in your powerband. More tq earlier is better for a dd, later is better for RACECAR.

Go through the dyno chart thread, they all have links to the discussions about the mods and are quite informative.
I will definitely check out the second generation Focus thread. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile
FocusOnMeNow is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #58
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,489
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
I will definitely check out the second generation Focus thread. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile
All that he is referring to would be in the Third Gen thread. If you want to see what a 2.0L Duratec can put out with bolt ons and a tune, check out the second gen performance section. Remember there are numerous important differences between the 2.0L Duratec and the 2.0L GDI Duratec that are in the Mk3's.
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #59
meattooth
Focus Fanatic
 
meattooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97031
Location: Catoosa, OK
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

Posts: 1,752
FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have a custom mandrel 2.5 exhaust with a dynomax muffer, and a K&N typhoon intake. I can see the MPG increase if you gently drive your car and shift when it tells you too (which is way early for my normal style). the best I ever got on highway before mods was 35 with mods I have seen 38+ (lots of factors can affect this I know) Now with mods and a heavy foot that number drops fast!! after I ran a couple tanks through to see how good it could be I started driving like I would normally and its settled at 30 mpg mixed driving (before mods it was 28mpg). My wifes stock DCT SEL sedan's avg is 32.
meattooth is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,489
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meattooth View Post
I have a custom mandrel 2.5 exhaust with a dynomax muffer, and a K&N typhoon intake. I can see the MPG increase if you gently drive your car and shift when it tells you too (which is way early for my normal style). the best I ever got on highway before mods was 35 with mods I have seen 38+ (lots of factors can affect this I know) Now with mods and a heavy foot that number drops fast!! after I ran a couple tanks through to see how good it could be I started driving like I would normally and its settled at 30 mpg mixed driving (before mods it was 28mpg). My wifes stock DCT SEL sedan's avg is 32.
Let's see some pics Meattooth ;)
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.