Rear brake conversion. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
CorvZ061
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96464
What I Drive: 2013 Kodiak Brown Escape SEL

FF Reputation: 1 CorvZ061 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear brake conversion.

Now that me DCT issue is straightened out, I want to see about converting my SE hatch to disc rear brakes. Can the parts be purchased from Ford yet? I don't think it should be too bad, I converted my Chevelle from drum to 4 wheel discs, a Nova too, but never a FWD car. Would it even be cost effective? I got too good of a deal on my '12 to be choosy about having the sport pack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Cost-effective? Depends on your perspective, but Ford may have warranty issues with that.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Say goodbye to your warranty for starters.

It's a fwd car...rear discs are a pointless luxury since the front really is doing all the work.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
I've looked in to this. The parts are availabe, but there is no "kit" you have to buy the parts individually, they are a little pricey, but not bad considering they are OEM parts from ford. From the looks of it, all that needs to be done is swap out the rear drum hardware for the rear disc hardware. And it all needs changed.. none of the drum components can be reused on the disc setup as far as I can tell, even the rear hubs/bearing assy is different. As far as the hydraulics part, just need to change out the rubber hoses from the main rear steel lines to the calipers. Master cylinders are the same, and the proportioning is done electronically with the ABS/ETC/ESC system. I priced the cost of buying the parts from ford a while back and its about a 700 dollar conversion estimate for the hardware.

I plan on doing this either next year or the year after as my budget permits.. I wanted to do it this year.. but, I ran outta funds for playing this year... (too many ideas, not enough cash or time)... but as a benefit, the aftermarket replacement guys will have a chance to offer lower cost parts hopefully by the time i get around to doing the conversion on mine.

As far as warranty? If someone is willing to actually tear the thing apart themselves and install the parts to start with, warranty shouldn't be an issue, because the new parts will carry their own warranty (often a lifetime one if you spend the extra for the premium version of the part) if something should happen to be made wrong.. and if something "brakes", we'll just jack it up, tear it apart and fix it..
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Say goodbye to your warranty for starters.

It's a fwd car...rear discs are a pointless luxury since the front really is doing all the work.
Not entirely true. Sure on a FWD car, the front brakes do most of the work, but then again they do on a RWD car also, but not as big a percentage. However, since disc brakes are more efficient than drum brakes, the benefits of having rear disc brakes on a FWD car is that it reduces "front end dive" under fast breaking conditions. The 2011 Fiesta had good stopping power, but tended to dive a bit when braking hard. My Focus has virtually none of that in comparison.

Perhaps if a Ford dealer did the conversion, it would still be under warranty? If you can't do the conversion, then I would at least get some alloy (spoked) wheels. Would help to shed a little weight and perhaps provide better brake cooling.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Why would the warranty be affected? If you use Ford OEM parts the worst that could happen is they wouldn't warranty the disc brakes themselves but the brakes would have their own warranty from buying them as genuine Ford parts.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Not sure exactly what the point of changing to discs would be. Electronic brake force distribution does a good job of balancing the brakes individually as it is. I have discs on mine, but that just means higher operating costs and brake dust on the rear rims. The point about nose dive doesn't really make any sense because braking with the rear wheels exclusively still causes this effect... not that the discs are going to grab any harder than the drums.

If you are going to do it, I certainly can't imagine it being cost effective (probably would have been better just to order one with them if they mean that much to you). Best be careful all the sensors for ABS and EBFD are sorted out, and there could even be insurance or inspection issues that would arise, so it might be worth an investigation on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Why would the warranty be affected? If you use Ford OEM parts the worst that could happen is they wouldn't warranty the disc brakes themselves but the brakes would have their own warranty from buying them as genuine Ford parts.
The difference is that those genuine parts weren't for your car... they don't tend to warranty modifications like that.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Disc Brakes do have advantages but not enough advantages to void your warranty. From day to day driving, you don't "need" disc brakes but they are very nice to have especially in emergency braking situations. I came very close to slamming into a Prius that decided to make a very last minute turn in the rain, I can tell you if I had drum brakes that accident probably would've happened. But those disc brakes are extremely impressive and make the Focus stop on a dime.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Sounds like a lot of hassle for a little gain.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post

The difference is that those genuine parts weren't for your car... they don't tend to warranty modifications like that.
The original factory bumper to bumper warranty on the car itself as relating to brakes is void yes... BUT...

The replaced parts themselves are going to have a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship as long as they are installed correctly on the car they are designed to be installed on and the system is complete and the model in question has the brakes available as an option.. (a Ford Focus in this case, whether the car originally had drums or not).. they are warranted to work correctly. And all ford service work is warrantied to be free from defects in workmanship of the installers... so if the parts fail due to a flaw in the parts themselves, or due to an incorrect installation by the dealer.. that would be covered.. for x number of months/year(s) or so many thousand miles.. from the date they were installed...

Now if the focus didnt have rear discs available on any model for a given year, and parts from another similar vehicle were used.. they probably wont warranty that.. and tell you it might or might not work and its at your own risk.

Now if you happen to take your wheels off and bust a chunk of the rotor off with a 3 lb sledge hammer... they're probably not gonna cover it..

Bookmarks & Social Networks