My thoughts on mods - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTalon View Post
I don't see why paying someone is such a bad thing. Hell, if I could afford it Id pay someone to finish the Talon. I don't have the time or the tools to finish it the way I want.
I'm not saying that paying someone is a bad thing. There are many people that should be paying someone and not trying to do the work themselves. Not everyone has a mechanical background. That shouldn't limit what they get out of their car. I even pay others to do certain things.

I just get tired of the constant 'you should have just saved and bought an ST' mentality. By the time you've worked through all the Focus step-ups, then you have to go Mustang, then a whole other brand, then you buy a Space Shuttle.

For people who want a FI car, my opinion is that they should have waited for the ST. But the majority of people who own the current model just want a fun, economical car. Others like the challenge of altering the initial design (myself included). Still others are not going to want to pay the insurance premiums and fuel cost of the pseudo-sports car.

There is always something better, quicker, faster, prettier...but there is nothing wrong with someone who wants to put down a little wrench time on their car.

Maybe that makes sense, maybe not. Just a small rant, no big. Nothing against anyone choosing a particular route.
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think it all comes down to goals. Taking a stock SE and turning it into a track terror and fun car for some is the greatest success. Taking an already potent car (ST) and making it a more dedicated weapon is fun, but doesn't take the dedication or forethought to think outside the box like making an SE fast. But, it's what you want to do, what you have the skills to do and what your goal is. Some don't appreciate what I'm doing with my car, but when they see it in person and see me drive it, it turns a few heads. Do what you want and surprise the naysayers it what I say.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 07-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I spent alot of time at the track watching people with their NA Mitsu Eclipses spending money on turbo kits,carbon fiber hoods,lighter flywheels,etc and couldn't even touch a mildy modded turbo model and with an AWD version they wouldn't even be close and for all thnat money that could've had the better model and be quicker and better all around.

I'm just saying buy the higher horsepower model within your same car model and save a bunch of money and compete outside you class. Me personally I couldn't just pour money into my Focus just to sniff a stock ST's butt but I guess if the individual isn't trying to overachieve then have a ball but from a money standpoint it's not the smartest route.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I spent alot of time at the track watching people with their NA Mitsu Eclipses spending money on turbo kits,carbon fiber hoods,lighter flywheels,etc and couldn't even touch a mildy modded turbo model and with an AWD version they wouldn't even be close and for all thnat money that could've had the better model and be quicker and better all around.

I'm just saying buy the higher horsepower model within your same car model and save a bunch of money and compete outside you class. Me personally I couldn't just pour money into my Focus just to sniff a stock ST's butt but I guess if the individual isn't trying to overachieve then have a ball but from a money standpoint it's not the smartest route.
I agree with this, for those looking to race...but this thread started with mild mods and looking for advice/recommendations. A flywheel is a relatively simple procedure (albeit a bit time consuming).

Basically, most anyone looking to try and boost our 12.1 compression ratio should wait for the ST. But without good income/credit, those people shouldn't have bought a '12.

Those who try will probably be picking up pieces of their block over 7 psi.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
A flywheel a simple mod? How much would a mechanic charge for that install? I'm a wrencher and they do take some work but it isn't an easy mod for the average car guy/gal.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
Dink7898
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100979
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5-door MT

FF Reputation: 1 Dink7898 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I agree with this, for those looking to race...but this thread started with mild mods and looking for advice/recommendations. A flywheel is a relatively simple procedure (albeit a bit time consuming).

Basically, most anyone looking to try and boost our 12.1 compression ratio should wait for the ST. But without good income/credit, those people shouldn't have bought a '12.

I also agree with this to point. But unless my math is wrong this is how I figure it.
The sticker for my 01 was 14 or 15k. I ended up paying like 13k i think. I put $2000 worth of mods over the life of the car.
When the SVT came out in 02 - 03(I can't remember) wasn't the sticker somewhere around 18 or 19k but there was no wheeling and dealing at least in my area on SVT products. My 01 was close to the price of an SVT but I still could have put another $2000 or so and been close if not over the same performance level.

That pretty much how I think of my 12. I know it will never be anywhere close to an ST but I will still get the car to the "fun" stage. So how much performance do you think you could get from the $5000 difference in price between what I paid and what you could walk out of the dealer with an ST for if it will be anything like the 1st gen SVT.

I would think you could get pretty deep into the N/A engine for that. As long as you save it for the high HP gain mods.

2012 SE Sport 5dr Ingot Silver MT:
Purchased 6/25/12 with 30 miles.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink7898 View Post
I also agree with this to point. But unless my math is wrong this is how I figure it.
The sticker for my 01 was 14 or 15k. I ended up paying like 13k i think. I put $2000 worth of mods over the life of the car.
When the SVT came out in 02 - 03(I can't remember) wasn't the sticker somewhere around 18 or 19k but there was no wheeling and dealing at least in my area on SVT products. My 01 was close to the price of an SVT but I still could have put another $2000 or so and been close if not over the same performance level.

That pretty much how I think of my 12. I know it will never be anywhere close to an ST but I will still get the car to the "fun" stage. So how much performance do you think you could get from the $5000 difference in price between what I paid and what you could walk out of the dealer with an ST for if it will be anything like the 1st gen SVT.

I would think you could get pretty deep into the N/A engine for that. As long as you save it for the high HP gain mods.
For 5k you can get hella NA motor. Unfortunately the comparison doesn't exactly work because the ST has boost.

That being said, the car will most definitely be fun and will run circles around a stock SVT. In all honesty, I can see a 5-7 psi charger setup in the future with reliability. Then, you actually are over a stock ST due to the compression ratio.

But then everything else will fail if you don't have a manual (le sigh).
2014 FiST-
Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
Dink7898
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100979
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5-door MT

FF Reputation: 1 Dink7898 Good Standing Member
Quote:
For 5k you can get hella NA motor. Unfortunately the comparison doesn't exactly work because the ST has boost.

That being said, the car will most definitely be fun and will run circles around a stock SVT. In all honesty, I can see a 5-7 psi charger setup in the future with reliability. Then, you actually are over a stock ST due to the compression ratio.

But then everything else will fail if you don't have a manual (le sigh).
Got that covered.

I would love to see 200whp N/A or about 230 with an S/C. But my goal for my 01 when I first got it was 240 and I never even got the opportunity because real life happens. But, Oh well.

2012 SE Sport 5dr Ingot Silver MT:
Purchased 6/25/12 with 30 miles.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Mods for all

Quote:
I'm not saying that paying someone is a bad thing. There are many people that should be paying someone and not trying to do the work themselves. Not everyone has a mechanical background. That shouldn't limit what they get out of their car. I even pay others to do certain things.

I just get tired of the constant 'you should have just saved and bought an ST' mentality. By the time you've worked through all the Focus step-ups, then you have to go Mustang, then a whole other brand, then you buy a Space Shuttle.

For people who want a FI car, my opinion is that they should have waited for the ST. But the majority of people who own the current model just want a fun, economical car. Others like the challenge of altering the initial design (myself included). Still others are not going to want to pay the insurance premiums and fuel cost of the pseudo-sports car.

There is always something better, quicker, faster, prettier...but there is nothing wrong with someone who wants to put down a little wrench time on their car.

Maybe that makes sense, maybe not. Just a small rant, no big. Nothing against anyone choosing a particular route.
I agree w/ you ^^^^^. Mods & creativity= #1 People on this forum don't want say stock long. Long live mods! Even a new ST needs mods
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Quote:

I dissagree there, direct injection makes boost on higher compression engines easier. The downfall is, no one that i have seen have gotten into the di injectors yet. Right now, the best bet is rs injectors if... they are bigger. Behind that, will be the clutches. Which is a phone call away with people around here.

Even with the talon not being di, I'm still running 10.5:1 with out issue on muchbhigher than stock boost on a 60mm Turbo.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->