Post your Oxford White/Platinum Tri-coat Pics! - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #81
spazzboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99648
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 spazzboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Does your BMW have a tri-coat finish? Most metallic finishes aren't a multi-layer application like Platinum Tri-coat. My Sterling Grey Metallic is metallic on all surfaces too, but it's not applied like Platinum is.
The Bimmer has a green coloured base applied everywhere. It has a satin finish.
From there, a metallic coat is applied (very fine specks of red/green/blue "metal" are observed) followed by a solid clear coat finish adding depth. The last two steps are applied in the door jambs, rocker panels, etc., basically everywhere that the sun will shine on when all four doors are opened.

The Focus is not as well covered in that department. In the end, I won't make a big fuss over it, as no one will probably notice the missing "glitter".

Again, I understand I can't compare a car that cost 4x the price of the other, but I was holding onto my naiveté.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #82
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Guys, is your car color kind of pearly in person? So far, one of the coolest white colors I've seen is Subaru's Snow White Pearl (and formerly Aspen White). White pearl cars just look awesome at night...
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #83
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
Guys, is your car color kind of pearly in person? So far, one of the coolest white colors I've seen is Subaru's Snow White Pearl (and formerly Aspen White). White pearl cars just look awesome at night...
Yes, it is a tri-coat pearl.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #84
biking4life
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102734
What I Drive: 2012 Honda Civic EX 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 biking4life Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAutoDetail View Post
It's the wife's, but she isn't a forum person. Just picked it up this week.

Pretty sure your photos sealed my decision on a 2013 Oxford White SE 5 Door with Appearance Package, Black Pack, Winter, and Moonroof ($1k less than a Ti with Moonroof)!! I'm dying to see someones 2013 OW with the Black Pack which adds black mirrors, black foglight bezels, and a black spoiler.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #85
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzboy View Post
Quick question.
I've recently noticed the Platinum White Tri-Coat application is far from even across the body.
Anybody know why the B-pillars (behind the opened doors), door jambs, and interior sills are simply ordinary Oxford White? I am not expecting the metallic application in every area (like the engine bay), but I was expecting a bit more "glitter" application.

I know I shouldn't compare, but my 2001 BMW 740i has an Oxford Green Metallic finish everywhere except the engine bay and the spare wheel well. I guess my expectations were a bit high.
My Yellow Blaze is the same. The door jambs are the basic base colour and the exterior is of course the full tri-coat. I don't mind though, of course I notice but at shows the doors are closed and no one else probably cares.

Better than the old Escapes though, where the underside of the hood and the engine bay were different colors entirely.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #86
biking4life
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

What are everyones' thoughts on the 2013 with Black Pack in Oxford? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27891536&Log=0
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #87
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by biking4life View Post
What are everyones' thoughts on the 2013 with Black Pack in Oxford?
Love the headlights, and fog light bezels. Love the wing, but not in black. I don't really like the black side view mirrors, and I have always been torn about the wheels; as I love the black look and the shape/style, but the machined edges make it look like a fat five spoke wheel from a distance. I think theyd look better all black but that's just My .02.
So basically once I buy my white 3dcarbon wing, and black out my headlights and bezels I will be thrilled with my version of the "black pack".

I do think it is rad that Ford offers this package now. It shows how great Ford is at seeing what direction trends are heading towards, and jumping on them.

And how about that price $27,300!! Lol. Maybe they thought it was an ST!!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #88
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So the headlights ARE included.

Looks like a Ti 'clone' from the front though, unsure how I feel about that. The lights and bezels made the Ti easily recognizable and now more SEs will be running around with them.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #89
biking4life
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarson View Post
Love the headlights, and fog light bezels. Love the wing, but not in black. I don't really like the black side view mirrors, and I have always been torn about the wheels; as I love the black look and the shape/style, but the machined edges make it look like a fat five spoke wheel from a distance. I think theyd look better all black but that's just My .02.
So basically once I buy my white 3dcarbon wing, and black out my headlights and bezels I will be thrilled with my version of the "black pack".

I do think it is rad that Ford offers this package now. It shows how great Ford is at seeing what direction trends are heading towards, and jumping on them.

And how about that price $27,300!! Lol. Maybe they thought it was an ST!!
I agree with you on the black mirrors- to me, black mirrors means you bought the cheap version of a car that didn't get upgraded to body color mirrors- at least they're painted black and not black plastic. I think the black spoiler is cool but there's something about those mirrors that bugs me... and $27k is SO MUCH for an SE! If I were to do it my way it'd be $24700. Which still is a lot for a Focus. Thing is, I don't think I'd get white with the standard wheels/no Black Pack... it'd have to be Tuxedo Black. There's something about that contrast between a white car and black wheels that I love! Thanks for the input, I'll be hanging around here for a bit to get more impressions on the FF!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #90
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by biking4life View Post
I agree with you on the black mirrors- to me, black mirrors means you bought the cheap version of a car that didn't get upgraded to body color mirrors- at least they're painted black and not black plastic. I think the black spoiler is cool but there's something about those mirrors that bugs me... and $27k is SO MUCH for an SE! If I were to do it my way it'd be $24700. Which still is a lot for a Focus. Thing is, I don't think I'd get white with the standard wheels/no Black Pack... it'd have to be Tuxedo Black. There's something about that contrast between a white car and black wheels that I love! Thanks for the input, I'll be hanging around here for a bit to get more impressions on the FF!
Yeah. Even $24700 would be a lot for me! Last month I paid 19700 (total out the door) for my brand new SE with the tech pack and the sports pack (5 speed). My friend just bought a 12' titanium with the handling pack, nav and moonroof for 23500 out the door.

With that being said, if I were to pick up the 13', I'd go for the black pack, even though I'm not in love with it. The TI headlights are a $5-600 upgrade, the wing is a $300 upgrade, and then you have the 17"s!

Bookmarks & Social Networks