Yanner's 2012 stereo install - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #31
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93640
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatWobble View Post
I'm starting to look at the LC6i to solve this, as it seems others have been happy with it.

Quick question for you--

I'm looking at a the Polk components speakers for the front as well. They are rated at a max RMS of 100W. That Alpine 5-channel amp in your install is only rated at 60W per channel; has that been an issue for you, or does it still sound great?

Thanks for the help. I'm a newbie at all of this stuff.
It looks like you have an SE, so you don't have the Sony system, correct? In that case, I'd splurge for the LCQ-1 which can be had for about $220 online. If you had the Sony system, you might be able to away with the signal summing of the LC6i, but the bass roll off of the non sony stereo is quite dramatic and the LCQ-1 has a feature precisely to remedy that problem.

You are right to be weary of using an amp that is rated less than what the speakers are rated at, because if you ask too from it, you can get clipping which can damage your speaker's voice coils.

As for the amp, it's loud enough and I have not encountered any over heating issues yet (though I'm not bumping bass heavy music at max volume for hours on end). Alpine amps are typically under rated, and they usually come with a quality control certification card that gives you the actual wattage your amp is capable of at the factory. I've had it as loud as what felt like rock concert level, with no clipping or distortion and I'm not planning to venture beyond that. I'm giving the components up front slightly more power via the amp's gain such that from the driver's seat I'm getting good image up front but with solid rear fill.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #32
marbleheadjimmy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98866
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 marbleheadjimmy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
power wire location

Yanner:

Would it be possible for you to snap a quick picture of the power wire location you used? I used 4awg power also, and the only place I could find was through the grommet for the hood release cable. its a little cramped, and I would rather find a better location to run it.

I may also look into that LOC you are using. I just used two PAC basic converters, previous to knowing the bass rolloff issue. my Infinity's sound pretty hollow. Now I know why!

Great install, btw.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleheadjimmy View Post
Yanner:

Would it be possible for you to snap a quick picture of the power wire location you used? I used 4awg power also, and the only place I could find was through the grommet for the hood release cable. its a little cramped, and I would rather find a better location to run it.

I may also look into that LOC you are using. I just used two PAC basic converters, previous to knowing the bass rolloff issue. my Infinity's sound pretty hollow. Now I know why!

Great install, btw.
I dont't have a pic handy, but the description contained in this thread should be enough.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283046
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #34
icetab
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101461
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE HtchBck 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 icetab Good Standing Member
amp gain settings

Yanner, I pretty much did the same exact install/equipment you did but I'm having trouble getting clear and balanced sound (between lows and highs).

I have the radio bass, mid and high set at zero (center) and I have the LCQ-1output levels at about 2/3.

I have the input gains on the amp at midpoint (nominal) for front, rear and sub channel.

All equalizer settings are in the middle currently on the LCQ-1. Treble is definitely too low.

What are the gains on your amp set at for front, rear, sub?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

I've been asked for exact setting before but always hesitated to post them as it's irrelevant with different equipment. You say you have basically the same hardware so here are some thoughts:

1. Are the tweeters working? Putting your ears right up to them is the quick and easy way to make sure. Also, the polks have a gain setting on the crossovers just for the tweeters.

2. Are all your speaker polarities correct? Two or more speakers out of phase with each other will result in destructive sound wave interference even though a speaker will sound fine on it's own no matter the polarity.

3. Did you follow the procedure set out by Audiocontrol for setting the line level otuputs?

4. Are the cross over points of the speakers similar to that of the subwoofer (not leaving any gaps?)

5. Do you have an low pass or high pass filters on your amp?

6. The bass roll off correction has two settings, again check the Audiocontrol instructions to set those

As for my settings, I don't have the car today (my wife has the car all day), I might be able to post them by tomorrow night. From memory:

LCQ-1 outpout: A bit less than 2/3rds
Amp speaker output: Maybe about 2/3rds on the front speakers and 1/2 on the rear (rear speakers are more efficient and require less power for the same amount of volume)
LCQ-1 EQ - added a bit of low end (but I'm using a shallow mount 10 inch sub in a small downfiring box so YMMV)
also added a bit of treble, but I did have the tweeter gain on the component's cross over set to the
lowest level.

From the settings you've posted, one of the main differences in your settings appears that your using the same gain for the front and rear speakers. This could cause the rears to provide most of the volume. Check out the level matching video from audiocontrol

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/c298/1029/Support.html
Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #36
WaytoFocused
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99991
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 1 WaytoFocused Good Standing Member
Nice work with the build Yanner. I wanted to know if you ran your own wire though the factory door boots? I'm going to be installing mine soon and looking at those rubber boots makes me think twice about trying to snake some wire through them.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaytoFocused View Post
Nice work with the build Yanner. I wanted to know if you ran your own wire though the factory door boots? I'm going to be installing mine soon and looking at those rubber boots makes me think twice about trying to snake some wire through them.
I did not. I don't think the run lengths and power levels warrant it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
icetab
Focus Rookie

I looked again and I have exactly the same equipment as you (speakers, converter, amp and sub). I did another install in a Traverse a while back and used infinity components, alpine sub and 2 kenwood amps and got it sounding great but wanted to minimize space I went the 5 channel amp like you in the focus). I did set the output levels on the converter like they showed on their website (I have frt, rear, and sub all in the same position as I'm not sure how to set them independently using the 'maximize' light on converter...I have them all between 2/3 and 3/4 and I believe you do). I have the crossovers in the front components set to the middle (0) position.

I'll mess around with the amp gains and set the rear to be less than fronts to see if that helps. I did some adjustments and got it sounding pretty good but one thing is for sure...the sound quality definitely depends on the source (ipod and CD sound best by far, Sirius depends on the channel as does the local radio...wish they would all broadcast the same quality and equilized signal).

I've been messing around with the bass adjustments on the converter and found a good balance with the level set just under the midpoint and the Accubass at about 1/4 (and output level at ~2/3 as mentioned above).

Please do let me know what your amp gains are set at for front/rear/sub if you don't mind.

Couple other questions please:
1) I have the remote-in on the converter tied into the antenna wire but I notice the power light lights (and on the amp naturally since linked to converter) when I open the doors (before I turn the car on and/or radio on). I thought it woudn't engage until the radio is powered on). What did you end up doing on this.
2) I also get the on/off thumb in the sub before I turn on the radio as well (probably for same reason noted in #1)...have you solved this issue?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #39
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Since it hasn't been mentioned, how is your signal summing jumper set on the LCQ-1.

I mentioned the turn on thump issue earlier in the thread and I was hoping to use the yellow/purple wire that is labeled as "amp turn on". I'll be getting around to trying that when the remote bass knob for the lcq-1 i ordered comes in so that i can do both things at the same time.

It should be noted that because I wanted the option to fade to front speakers only with the subwoofer, I have the front signal going to rear/ch2 of the lcq-1, but then back to channel 1-2 of the amp, since the lcq-1 takes its sub signal from rear/ch2 and not front/ch1

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #40
icetab
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the pics Yanner. My settings are pretty close to yours and I have it sounding pretty darn good now....still depends on the source or station though. My converter settings under the cover are still at factory defaults so the summing function is defeated. I did mess with the HP filter setting on the amp a bit and took out some lower range on the front and rear (now closer to your settings).

I have the Alpine sub remote and it's really handy since I have to adjust sub level on the fly depending on the source (or even the song some times).

I'll try moving the remote in feed from the antenna wire to the amp turn on as you suggest and see if that helps eliminate the on/off thump.

Regarding the converter, I have been wondering why there are no input level adjustments dials like audiocontrols has on their other converters, there are only output level dials of course. Perhaps the computer in it sets the input levels automatically. I also wonder why there in only one 'maximize' sensor/light instead of one for each output (frt, rr, sub). I adjusted all three at the same time keeping them in the same position as I made adjustments when I set the overall output level...hope that is right.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.