Need advice about the cheapest way to haul more arse - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #41
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
I have the nice man intake paired with the FocusSport iTG filter. The filter has died and bought it with the car but is a life time filter warranty (to the original owner).

The SVT suspension kit you can get from Tousley Ford talk to Steve... he is on another Focus forum but they have an online store also.

Go with Tom for the transmission.

I don't know I would do anything on the header if you can't/won't do the SVT header. I don't think any of the Shorty ones actually give you any gain

Do a CAT back exhaust TruBendz makes good kits for the focus. Get 2.5 or larger. Go on YouTube and search for zetec focus exhaust clips... I think Borla sounds the best but also is a little more....

Check out C-F-M for other bolt on's that you may want.
I'd love to do the SVT headers, but I'll have to call the hippie-land DMV to check on the legality first. I'd have to use an SVT exhaust kit if I do purchase the SVT header and CAT right?

Tousley ford sells the SVT kit for like $200 still right? I seem to remember them being the cheapest I found.

Tom is the MTX75 legend right? Or is that another guy? I've seen a LOT of threads talking about some guy who could make an MTX75 take an SVT Getrag 6-speed to school in real world driving. 90MPH+ I don't care about --I like driving fast, but that kind of on public roads gets people killed/arrested.

Is the Iceman better than the K&N Gen 2? I'm not buying a scoop hood --I don't like to advertise that my car is worth stealing.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 8,123, Level 60
Points: 8,123, Level: 60 Points: 8,123, Level: 60 Points: 8,123, Level: 60
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Not sure of the work Tom has done on the MTX-75... I know he is the Tuning guy around here. The MTX-75 is from what I have seen a better transmission as there is more aftermarket support for flywheels, clutches, differentials, and gears.

The CAT back is the same regardless of SVT or ZX3 or standard Zetec equipped Focus... so if you get a cat back and then eventually get a SVT header you don't have to change it. you will only need a SVT header, CAT, and Flex Pipe. The thing is I think you will get more performance gain from spending the $$ on a CAT back then on a shorty header that leaves your stock CAT.

I am not sure on the prices, I have not done anything with the SVT suspension for years.

Not sure where you got the hood scoop from or are you just making that as a statement... I have only had the Iceman so can't compare it to the K&N gen 2. I can say that I think the Amsoil Dry filter is better than the K&N oiled filter. but yet again I have not had the Amsoil either to directly compare. the nice thing about the FocusSport (now FSWerks) air intake is that it has a good heat shield on it. Leave the air ducting that routes from the front bumper to the stock air box as it will bring cooler air still by the bumper.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #43
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Not sure where you got the hood scoop from or are you just making that as a statement... I have only had the Iceman so can't compare it to the K&N gen 2. I can say that I think the Amsoil Dry filter is better than the K&N oiled filter. but yet again I have not had the Amsoil either to directly compare. the nice thing about the FocusSport (now FSWerks) air intake is that it has a good heat shield on it. Leave the air ducting that routes from the front bumper to the stock air box as it will bring cooler air still by the bumper.
I have heard that some of the aftermarket intakes (specifically the Volant) are designed to mate with a hood scoop.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #44
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,123, Level 60
Level Up 87% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
I think that is the only one...
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #45
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 7,898, Level 59
Points: 7,898, Level: 59 Points: 7,898, Level: 59 Points: 7,898, Level: 59
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Tinkering with a car will make it less and less a comfortable daily driver...
I'd urge you to save the $2k budget for rainy days with the current rebuilt-zetec. If you're in school already, you want a nice and fun car to tool around in, but you already know you need a dependable D.D. to get you through the education! If you can abstain from getting crazy about performance parts (which will tax the hell out of your income you can put yourself in a fantastic spot to pimp-out or buy whatever you want as a full time law professional! In the meantime, you won't need much to maintain a stock Focus... OR you could save for a good down payment on an ST! Sure you'll end up with a payment, but you'll also have a warranty and a turbo in the meantime for fun; AND a smog legal car for California! Once you get through school and start a career you'll either go crazy adding and tuning the thing or move up to something better.

I wanted to do the same thing in '03 with my ZX3, and before you knew it, I'd dumped ten large into it and the car got finnicky: it ran perfect, or little shit sidelined it.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #46
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,898, Level 59
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Didn't mean to poo-poo the idea in a rant; but it happened to me tha same was!

Do you think you could just drop it and put a better stereo in it and deal with a slow/dependable ride for a few years, though?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #47
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile30 View Post
Didn't mean to poo-poo the idea in a rant; but it happened to me tha same was!

Do you think you could just drop it and put a better stereo in it and deal with a slow/dependable ride for a few years, though?
I have no intention of dropping massive cash on this thing, but I would like to sped less time in traffic. On many days, just a little bit quicker 20-65 acelleration boost would be the difference between getting around a new traffic source and sitting on my arse behind the idiot brigade for an extra 90 minutes. More time with my wife is what this is all about --I'm not looking to race or even to speed. I just want this already nimble car to have enough torque that I can hit that tiny window in traffic without cutting anyone off. I didn't check where you live, but I live in the largest city in North America without mass transit --there are literally millions of idiots on the roads every day in DFW. Add to that every highway within 20 miles of my home is under construction TX style (where you never know when there will be one guy working and they close the entire thing) --and you can see why I want to get that little bit extra pep in my step.

I already have one Hell of a stereo. I'm one of those guys who can make my own speakers, cables et cetera --the head unit is a POS, but all I care about is that the 3.5mm jack works. I plug my phone in, turn on the tunes and get traffic alerts. I'm utilitarian about my tools because I'm in debt. I'd love to take out a bigger loan next semester and buy a brand new 3 door Feista ST (if Ford ever lets us have it) but as cool as that would be --I ain't payin' that off for the next 30 years.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #48
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I think that is the only one...
I have the money to get two of the following now and do all the other work in a month or two:

Intake
Catback
SCT chip
SVT suspension kit for Zx3

Which two should I get first?

I've seen the FSWerks dyno reports that intake+catback+SCT chip on a 2000 Zx3 reporting a 20-30% gain from stock in WHP and WTQ. That would suffice until I can take the car out of commission for a few weeks to get the tranny done --and until the hippie-DMV can give me a straight answer.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #49
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Points 8,123, Level 60
Level Up 87% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
I would get an Xcal 3 NA Tune from Tom and the Cat back...

there are small things you can do that are cheap on the intake like replace the stock filter with a fight flow (K&N) and remove the resonator...

I think the Tune and Exhaust will give the best bang for the buck... just be prepared to use premium if you go with the tune...
Hatch Nation #42

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #50
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,898, Level 59
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00btard View Post
I have no intention of dropping massive cash on this thing, but I would like to sped less time in traffic... I want to get that little bit extra pep in my step.
Used JRSC, tune, better brake pads, and lower it, perhaps... Dunno if that's too rich for $2k...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.