2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 78 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #771
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
In many ways, you know that to be the better choice.

I'm hoping the ST has a different(ie. beefier) top hat/bearing assembly that will fit right in to ours. It should, but you never know what these guys change just for the sake of doing it.
Yes I do. It's not like they cost much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #772
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My best attempt to somewhat capture something of the clunk/pop/rattle, but I was only using video on my phone. Not the greatest, but all I have.

Going slowish over the curb on my driveway, this was the best noise out of the whole video, so, make of it what you may...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #773
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If the ST parts are different, I wonder how long it'll be before we see them available to the public.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #774
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
It's staying in the family. I'm giving it to my parents and using their 2010 Chevy Malibu as a trade in. So yes I'll still stop in here from time to time.
Looks like Ford will be a prominent name in the hand-filer family (sorry, don't know your last name). Hope they enjoy the Focus and you enjoy the new Escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
...I too have noticed the clunking sound and will be letting my dealer know next trip in...
Your dealer will have more info on how to repair this. If you'd prefer, please send me a message with your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll forward it to your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
Taking my first road trip tomorrow. This will tell me a lot. I'm beginning to think I'll be trading this in...
How did your ride fare on the road trip? Please fill me in on any details. I hope your last sentence doesn't become reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bames_Jond View Post
...Well, Sir Clunksalot goes into a different service dept. tomorrow for repair attempt #5 (wish me luck)... I am a little nervous that the "note" the CSM left in the system after our somewhat less than pleasant conversation last Thursday may make shop #2 feel coerced into corroborating shop #1's official statement...
It's a contact update expressing interest in obtaining a second opinion. This will not affect the other dealer's diagnosis in any way. Please let me know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rui View Post
...mine has been clunking at low speeds/braking for about a month now. Currently has 8000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
...i'm getting ready to take mine in for the clunking/clattering too...
Have you visited the dealer to have it looked at, kc5rui? I'd like to loop in your Customer Service Managers; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info. Shantheman2012, which day are you taking it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
...I literally duct taped my phone to the strut/suspension towers inside the engine bay area..(obviously there was an excess of engine noise, who knew, jk). Then, I duct taped my phone into the wheel well right next to the strut/spring assembly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
My best attempt to somewhat capture something of the clunk/pop/rattle, but I was only using video on my phone. Not the greatest, but all I have.

Going slowish over the curb on my driveway, this was the best noise out of the whole video, so, make of it what you may...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Duct tape? Hope your cell phone had good reception under there! When was the last time you visited your dealer for an inspection? If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer; I'll notify your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Was back at the dealer the other day. They know it's making noises, but Ford has told them that whatever TSBs apply to it don't apply to when/where my car was built. So, right now, they're stuck.

Looks like I'm going have to escalate this through my Regional CSM...
I see your CSM contacted you last week. Did you take it in since talking to her last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
If the ST parts are different, I wonder how long it'll be before we see them available to the public.
When the ST begins to arrive at dealers, our parts site may be updated at that time. Please keep a close eye on it: http://www.fordparts.com/.

I'll check this thread again soon,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #775
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
what is your build date? The tsb covers cars built up to 4-2-12.
12-2-2011.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #776
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
I see your CSM contacted you last week. Did you take it in since talking to her last?
I did and they said they haven't been able to get Ford (corporate) to determine a way to cover the repairs, as all TSBs related to the problem apply to cars with different build dates.

I still have to take it in for a rearview mirror replacement (dealer is waiting on approval and parts for that) and I have to contact my CSM prior to that visit. I planned on mentioning the issues re: strut noises and warranty coverage to her when I make that phone call.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #777
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
YouTube Video
Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #778
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
I did and they said they haven't been able to get Ford (corporate) to determine a way to cover the repairs, as all TSBs related to the problem apply to cars with different build dates.

I still have to take it in for a rearview mirror replacement (dealer is waiting on approval and parts for that) and I have to contact my CSM prior to that visit. I planned on mentioning the issues re: strut noises and warranty coverage to her when I make that phone call.
Good idea. Please phone the CSM at your earliest convenience; she'll be able to look over all of the details.

Later,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #779
Brian_429
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86572
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Brian_429 Good Standing Member
I got mine back from the dealership today, so far so good. They replaced both the strut bearings and springs on mine. Below are the parts they put on mine.

CV6Z-18198-A FRONT BEARINGS (2)
-W700212-S442 NUT-HEX (4)
-W715490-S442 BOLT (4)
BV6Z-5310-B SPRING,FRONT (2)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #780
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_429 View Post
I got mine back from the dealership today, so far so good. They replaced both the strut bearings and springs on mine. Below are the parts they put on mine.

CV6Z-18198-A FRONT BEARINGS (2)
-W700212-S442 NUT-HEX (4)
-W715490-S442 BOLT (4)
BV6Z-5310-B SPRING,FRONT (2)
Brian..what is your build date? Was it done according to the TSB or did they simply trouble shoot parts?

Bookmarks & Social Networks