Need advice about the cheapest way to haul more arse - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I took you to be a kid, but by your speech I should have known otherwise. Least now I know you have good analytical skills, being an adult.

I don't get why you'd keep working in any environment detrimental to your health though. But then again I'm used to clean clean air, live in rural Minnesota, otherwise known as BFE.

And just as Tom stated, there's no need to go my route unless you're looking for power above and beyond the norm. A FR head, cams, tune, exhaust will make 160whp pretty easily on good fuel. Any more than that and it's going to take headwork and bigger cams, and probably a better fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #32
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I took you to be a kid, but by your speech I should have known otherwise. Least now I know you have good analytical skills, being an adult.

I don't get why you'd keep working in any environment detrimental to your health though. But then again I'm used to clean clean air, live in rural Minnesota, otherwise known as BFE.

And just as Tom stated, there's no need to go my route unless you're looking for power above and beyond the norm. A FR head, cams, tune, exhaust will make 160whp pretty easily on good fuel. Any more than that and it's going to take headwork and bigger cams, and probably a better fuel.
I'm sure most people who don't have a clue and want fast cars are young. I can't blame you for thing that --and it's really refreshing to see people who are about those they've never met. It's a rare trait today, and I commend you for it.

I grew up in North Texas when there were less than 8k people in my home town --now that town has been absorbed into Dallas, and the air pollution is out of control. Hell, I used to see deer in my back yard --now the air is yellow.

I'm leaving DFW for law school, and I likely won't be coming back. I'll move to the Shenandoah or out on the plains, but lawyers have to live near courthouses LOL.

What about the K&N intake gen2, pacesetter headers, a flowmaster 2.5 and a tune? Total parts cost is just ovger a G. I can get SVT springs too, and then do a head and cams all for about 2.5k
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

If I can get a full JRSC for $1700, and then buy a tune from someone like Tom --good idea or no? I hear mixed things about the JRSC, but it's cheap and available from a FF member.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #34
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I think in your situation a Jackson Racing may be a good bet unless you want to hold off and try to find the procharger. as had been mentioned the jackson is just two small. i would get the big boost kit also (perhaps as an upgrade down the road).

Question, do you like the twists and turns when driving or more of a straight line guy?

I was about to suggest transmission work. get a differential and 4.10 gears this will give you more TQ (will drop your top speed and small impact on highway fuel economy). go with an SVT suspension system, 2.5 or 3" exhaust cat back, intake, and a tune and you will be surprised how it wakens the car up in the bends.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
I think in your situation a Jackson Racing may be a good bet unless you want to hold off and try to find the procharger. as had been mentioned the jackson is just two small. i would get the big boost kit also (perhaps as an upgrade down the road).

Question, do you like the twists and turns when driving or more of a straight line guy?

I was about to suggest transmission work. get a differential and 4.10 gears this will give you more TQ (will drop your top speed and small impact on highway fuel economy). go with an SVT suspension system, 2.5 or 3" exhaust cat back, intake, and a tune and you will be surprised how it wakens the car up in the bends.
Straight and narrow paths are for church --bring on the turns!

--N00btard c.2012A.D.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #36
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:

what would be good gears to purchase? I don't know which ones to buy.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #37
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

I stand corrected its 4.06 gear for the final drive ratio... I am not sure if they make it new any more or what vendors sell them. I got my transmission built with the 4.06 gear years ago by a company called F2 and did a "transmission" swap. Quick search for a MTX-75 4.06 final drive gear came up with a few hits. Looks like CFM may still sell it or Tom (1turbofocus, owner and operator of Focus-Power). I don't know if Tom has a differential or if he has both kinds the Torsen is now hard to find. It will be nice since you are in the position of free labor, the gear and differential are usually high labor costs.

Link: http://www.focus-power.com/view.php?showme=MTX Get the option #2 would be a quick easy just have to have your friend swap the tranny and you will have the gears and diff installed by someone with lots of experience building foci.

Guess I should of also asked its a manual right?

Edit: So $1,400 for your transmission, go with Toms NA tune that's $400. that leaves $700 to do CAT back exhaust, intake and possibly CAMS and adjustable gears if you get it off the BST section on the forum...
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #38
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

The last time I got behind the wheel of an auto I nearly crashed b/c the e-breaks were where the clutch should have been.

I have an MTX75 --and I like what I see from Tom's place. The issue there will be scheduling a car to borrow while the tranny is out. Do you think I could just get a junkyard part and have Tom build it out? Not sure if that's a great idea, but who knows?

Recommendations on an intake? I have heard good things about the K&N Gen 2 kit --worthwhile? The sticky here gives the volant and the iceman good reviews as well --but those are more difficult to find.

Headers? Ford racing or Pace setter?

Cat back? Is a flowmaster any good for this thing? Magnaflow costs quite a bit more.

Cams are going to be a stretch on the budget I think b/c I really want to get the SVT suspension for $300 too.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I stand corrected its 4.06 gear for the final drive ratio... I am not sure if they make it new any more or what vendors sell them. I got my transmission built with the 4.06 gear years ago by a company called F2 and did a "transmission" swap. Quick search for a MTX-75 4.06 final drive gear came up with a few hits. Looks like CFM may still sell it or Tom (1turbofocus, owner and operator of Focus-Power). I don't know if Tom has a differential or if he has both kinds the Torsen is now hard to find. It will be nice since you are in the position of free labor, the gear and differential are usually high labor costs.

Link: http://www.focus-power.com/view.php?showme=MTX Get the option #2 would be a quick easy just have to have your friend swap the tranny and you will have the gears and diff installed by someone with lots of experience building foci.

Guess I should of also asked its a manual right?

Edit: So $1,400 for your transmission, go with Toms NA tune that's $400. that leaves $700 to do CAT back exhaust, intake and possibly CAMS and adjustable gears if you get it off the BST section on the forum...
Do you have any specific recommendations of parts? I have looked around, but I don't know enough about these cars to know which parts are the best price/performance.

If this were a classic AMC, I'd know exactly what I was looking for, but fuel injection tuning is entirely new ground for me...
Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #40
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

I have the nice man intake paired with the FocusSport iTG filter. The filter has died and bought it with the car but is a life time filter warranty (to the original owner).

The SVT suspension kit you can get from Tousley Ford talk to Steve... he is on another Focus forum but they have an online store also.

Go with Tom for the transmission.

I don't know I would do anything on the header if you can't/won't do the SVT header. I don't think any of the Shorty ones actually give you any gain

Do a CAT back exhaust TruBendz makes good kits for the focus. Get 2.5 or larger. Go on YouTube and search for zetec focus exhaust clips... I think Borla sounds the best but also is a little more....

Check out C-F-M for other bolt on's that you may want.
Hatch Nation #42

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->