2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
yellow-blaze
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100956
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 yellow-blaze Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Since the recent program update (which I think was 12B37) I've been getting the exact grinding/rattling noise as in the original video. I took it in to the dealer and they said they couldn't reproduce it, but that it was probably the syncronizer which could be heard on a 1-2 shift. They offered to let me come in another day and drive it with a technician to show them the noise.

Anyone have any recent experience with this or updates? It's unclear to me if it's harmful or not, although the noise is pretty awful sounding. For me it always happens when accelerating around 20mph.

Should I take it in again and try to show them the noise? Or is the noise in the video "normal" operation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #62
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
yup - the 12B37 doesn't address that grinding noise. From all sources I've read so far, seems like it's normal operation of a dry clutch.

I had noise before & after the update, but I'm so used to it now that I don't pay attention to it anymore.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #63
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Angry Transmission bringing noise when shifts

Hi All, I am new here. I noticed before that I have grinding noise when accelerating. I used to drive always with stereo on or windows close so didn't pay attention before. It's sounds like dry bearing. Is it something I have to worry about? Can dealers fix it, I was reading some posts, where guys saing that there is no real fix for that yet. First I though it needs to break in, but I have already 7500miles, it should of been gone by now. Please help. Really confused what to do.
Thx
Steven
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #64
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
I had it at 1000miles and now am at 7500miles still the same.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #65
ptrsan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101303
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 ptrsan Good Standing Member
Just another "auto-manual" issue

I've been reading this and 4 other forums (car and driver, consumer reports etc.) and as our 2012 focus SE is in the shop for what every one else has complained about the transmission, I have a few questions.

1. WHY ARE DEALERS PRETENDING that they have never heard of this?

if they don't know anything of it....why are all my dealership transmission people at a training seminar? ( according to the service manager...they should be back monday)

2. What is the "Ford protocol?" Today ...after 2 days in the shop another Service consultant told me they won't even pull the trans or inspect it "until the electronics division in dearborn tells us to". ( could it be another FIB? could it be another way of covering it up? could it be ...... add your own).

3. Why if you complain about the computer screwing up, they will re-flash it with new software, but if you don't ask they do nothing and let you tear up the clutch cylinder, clutch slave and a few other parts..?

4. Why no recall? It's a known problem ...what over paid moron is making decisions? Even car and driver said "some needs to be held accountable".

5.. I want it in writing.....you will never have to go thru this again. (I've already lost all hopes of getting the blue book value as a trade, it seems that EVERYONE EXCEPT FORD knows of the problem! GO Figure!)
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #66
ptrsan
Focus Rookie

Todays update....the transmission techs are back at the dealership after their classes, and they said the trans needs to be rebuilt...(DUUUHHH even I knew that). Sadly they don't know how long it will be before the parts are available. "could be a few days or could be a couple of weeks" . (I wonder if there is a run on replacement parts....any guesses if ford will finally admit a problem?)
The service manage said we could drive the car until parts come in, but I decided I wasn't going to have it on the Interstate when it totally falls apart.

Noemi...any reason the dealership has no idea where the parts are?

Last edited by ptrsan; 07-16-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Add question.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #67
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow-blaze View Post
Since the recent program update (which I think was 12B37) I've been getting the exact grinding/rattling noise as in the original video. I took it in to the dealer and they said they couldn't reproduce it, but that it was probably the syncronizer which could be heard on a 1-2 shift. They offered to let me come in another day and drive it with a technician to show them the noise.

...Should I take it in again and try to show them the noise? Or is the noise in the video "normal" operation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
yup - the 12B37 doesn't address that grinding noise. From all sources I've read so far, seems like it's normal operation of a dry clutch.

I had noise before & after the update, but I'm so used to it now that I don't pay attention to it anymore.
Hey guys -

In Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37, we developed calibration improvements to the Powertrain Control Module, Transmission Control Module, and Anti-Lock Brake module; which addresses transmission shift and hill-start quality.

I recommend taking it in to your dealer, yellow-blaze. They'll be able to inspect and diagnose your transmission noise. I'd like to let your Customer Service Manager know about this; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info.

How's your Focus doing, ricomtl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
Hi All, I am new here. I noticed before that I have grinding noise when accelerating. I used to drive always with stereo on or windows close so didn't pay attention before. It's sounds like dry bearing...I was reading some posts, where guys saing that there is no real fix for that yet. First I though it needs to break in, but I have already 7500miles, it should of been gone by now. Please help. Really confused what to do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I had it at 1000miles and now am at 7500miles still the same.
Welcome to this forum! Have you taken it to your dealer for an inspection yet? If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll loop in your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsan View Post
Todays update....the transmission techs are back at the dealership after their classes, and they said the trans needs to be rebuilt...(DUUUHHH even I knew that). Sadly they don't know how long it will be before the parts are available. "could be a few days or could be a couple of weeks" . (I wonder if there is a run on replacement parts....any guesses if ford will finally admit a problem?). The service manage said we could drive the car until parts come in...

Noemi...any reason the dealership has no idea where the parts are?
Hey ptrsan -

I'm taking over as the new Ford rep on this Forum; it's nice to type to you. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer; I'll forward this info to your Customer Service Manager. He/she will contact you and your dealer about parts availability.

Take care,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #68
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey guys -

How's your Focus doing, ricomtl?

Thomas
I did not see any difference before & after. I already had smooth shifting when I got past the break in point, so when I got the re-flash, I did not see any improvement or change.

The 1st/2nd gear grinding is still present, but from what I've read so far, that is normal operation of the dual dry clutch. I just don't pay attention to it anymore, but if I happen to be in an indoor garage, that gringing ugly and loud!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #69
ptrsan
Focus Rookie

Ok I sent the Vin and dealership info along with contact info.

I have yet to hear from the regional rep... so here goes the SAGA of 2 weeks in Courtsey Ford in Sanford FL.

YESTERDAY, they tell the wife we are waiting on parts....( 2 weeks). today they call us 10 minutes before they close and say it's fixed!!!!! this is after telling us that the trans has to be rebuilt on wendsday. (something I told them 2 weeks ago).

I am more upset that the "PROMISED " response from the regional rep has yet to come.
WTF is She/HE overwhelmed with all the problems?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
SVOMACH1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89817
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 SVOMACH1 Good Standing Member
Transmission Grinding

FordCustomerService, I sent you a PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks