Metra dash kit for 2012 focus - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
phillyfan1138
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100669
Location: Charlotte, NC
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 phillyfan1138 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just ordered one. Decided I'd risk it instead of waiting for other owner's feedback.

I have the S model, so I am hoping this works. I am also planning to do something a little different...instead of putting in an aftermarket radio I'll stick in a tablet. Seems more versatile (not to mention cheaper) than many aftermarket radios...
phillyfan1138 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #32
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08
 
unida767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95574
Location: Geelong, Australia
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Powershift SEP

Posts: 6,194
FF Reputation: 11 unida767 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan1138 View Post
I just ordered one. Decided I'd risk it instead of waiting for other owner's feedback.

I have the S model, so I am hoping this works. I am also planning to do something a little different...instead of putting in an aftermarket radio I'll stick in a tablet. Seems more versatile (not to mention cheaper) than many aftermarket radios...
Keep us posted if you don't mind man. Very interseted to see your end result. I'm going with a touchscreen PC.
unida767 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #33
AeR0_84
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89717
Location: Ontario, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 12,Focus,Black,Hatch,5spd,sport pkg

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 AeR0_84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
what deck does everyone plan to be putting in thier car?

ive got my dash kit already just cannot decide on the dash kit that i want!
AeR0_84 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
AeR0_84
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89717
Location: Ontario, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 12,Focus,Black,Hatch,5spd,sport pkg

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 AeR0_84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
PS does anyone know what harness the 2012 focus uses?
AeR0_84 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
herbz
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84909
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The harness part number can be found in the dash kit instruction manual linked earlier in the thread.

I personally have a Pioneer x930bt. It is excellent. Bluetooth phone, streaming audio, ipod, built in navigation with optional traffic, DVD playback, backup cam capability, etc. Works flawless.
herbz is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #36
kaldrok
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 98928
Location: RGV, TX
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 kaldrok Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeR0_84 View Post
what deck does everyone plan to be putting in thier car?

ive got my dash kit already just cannot decide on the dash kit that i want!

I just ordered the dash kit and the Kenwood KDC X696. I would like to have gone with a double din but since Ford thought it was a good idea to have a proprietary fugly disaster of a radio-integrated-into-the-dash-so-consumers-cant-cheaply-and-easily-upgrade-their-crappy-radio design, driving the cost of the dash kit from a simple few dollars to $180, i opted to get a smaller head unit. It has bluetooth and six channel, 4v preamp output. I will also be installing DB6501 components in the front, DB651 coax in rear, and have two pioneer TS-W259D4 subs to fill in the bass. I wanted the six channel reamp outputs on that kenwood HU to make things easier when I install the two amps to power all this crap. Parts are in the mail. I will hopefully have everything installed in two weeks. Good luck on your head unit hunt.
kaldrok is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
phillyfan1138
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100669
Location: Charlotte, NC
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 phillyfan1138 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I installed the dash kit this morning.

There are a number of things to note:

1. The buttons at the bottom of the kit work and work well. But they are very cheap looking and stick way out of the dash. I wonder if it is possible to switch out the buttons. The entire build quality is acceptable but not great.

2. The secondary screen is placed farther forward by about an inch and a half to 2 inches. This brings it more in line with the double din space below it, and is aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately it leads to the following dilemma: if installing an aftermarket radio, the kit requires you to chop off two little plastic nobs extending down from the secondary screen. Fortunately I am keeping the radio intact.

3. I have the S, and the opening on the dash intended for the secondary screen is intended for the larger SE and up screens. It doesn't look horrible, but its not perfect.

Since I am adding a tablet to the existing radio solution, I was worried that when turning off the car the radio would require being turned on again. Since there are no controls on the dash kit for the radio this would be a huge issue. Fortunately it works perfectly. Upon turning on the car the radio turns on and accepts the last input (in my case the auxiliary input.)

Its unfortunate that this is the only dash kit around. It would be fine if it cost 20 dollars, but nothing really justifies the current price. The cheap buttons really detract from the look of the car. On the other hand, it fits well and looks OEM...albeit an OEM with questionable designs for their buttons.

Once the tablet comes and everything gets put together I will take some pictures.
phillyfan1138 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #38
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08
 
unida767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95574
Location: Geelong, Australia
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Powershift SEP

Posts: 6,194
FF Reputation: 11 unida767 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan1138 View Post
Once the tablet comes and everything gets put together I will take some pictures.
Looking forward to pics - thanks for the details
unida767 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #39
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97883
Location: south east, NC
What I Drive: 2012 se black

Posts: 113
FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan1138 View Post
I installed the dash kit this morning.

There are a number of things to note:

1. The buttons at the bottom of the kit work and work well. But they are very cheap looking and stick way out of the dash. I wonder if it is possible to switch out the buttons. The entire build quality is acceptable but not great.

2. The secondary screen is placed farther forward by about an inch and a half to 2 inches. This brings it more in line with the double din space below it, and is aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately it leads to the following dilemma: if installing an aftermarket radio, the kit requires you to chop off two little plastic nobs extending down from the secondary screen. Fortunately I am keeping the radio intact.

3. I have the S, and the opening on the dash intended for the secondary screen is intended for the larger SE and up screens. It doesn't look horrible, but its not perfect.

Since I am adding a tablet to the existing radio solution, I was worried that when turning off the car the radio would require being turned on again. Since there are no controls on the dash kit for the radio this would be a huge issue. Fortunately it works perfectly. Upon turning on the car the radio turns on and accepts the last input (in my case the auxiliary input.)

Its unfortunate that this is the only dash kit around. It would be fine if it cost 20 dollars, but nothing really justifies the current price. The cheap buttons really detract from the look of the car. On the other hand, it fits well and looks OEM...albeit an OEM with questionable designs for their buttons.

Once the tablet comes and everything gets put together I will take some pictures.
And the button lights stay on for 2 minutes after the door is closed but it dose work good.
kjl2012 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #40
AeR0_84
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89717
Location: Ontario, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 12,Focus,Black,Hatch,5spd,sport pkg

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 AeR0_84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
any pics yet?
AeR0_84 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.