Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #41
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
MFT is 3rd in my honest opinion behind BMWs iDrive and Audi's MMI taking first place in terms of usability and features. COMAND from Mercedes is....well....outdated and mundane and not befitting the type of vehicles they put it in.

DCT? For most people here not only might it be their first 6 speed car but it is more than likely that this is their first DCT.

Dual clutch, direct shift, automated manual; different names same thing. These gearboxes were bred on the racetrack. They were inherently designed, mechanical engineering folks, to shift like beauties at speed.

Software will only do so much to fix the mechanical design of the gearbox. That roughness is present in our 25k hatchback all the way up to half a million dollar supercars.

You can't wish smoothness on these. Impossible. Even VWs DSG boxes are rough at low speed. Boxes that need I remind anyone are also sitting in Audis too.

If you want smoothness? Grab the manual. Make your own smoothness. 5 speed or 6 if you get a ST. Or tell ford to grab some more of their old 6 speed slushboxes or pony up for ZF 8 speeds (the only torque converter automatics that don't entirely suck).
I think you're dead on with a lot of what you say. With that said, as a first time owner of a DCT, I find it really unintuitive that it should have to 'learn' how to shift, when there is really probably a 95% optimal shifting pattern for the car + engine. So the 'learning' process that everyone is subjected to make everyone think the car is broken especially in the first 'do i love my new car period.' I'd guess a lot of what ford has done is to turn down the adaptive part of the DCT and just made it more predictable.

With that said, I've gotten to like the DCT, except for the grinding noises. If someone can show me how exactly two pieces of metal grinding together hard enough to make that loud a noise is not causing wear and tear, then I'll gladly keep the car past its warranty. If ford is so confident about it, then maybe they won't mind extending it a few years.

re: MFT, I should say, I don't have this in my car. I couldn't get it to work at all in the car that I test drove (I am a computer programmer). I found it to be incredibly shitty as far as software goes, and then to boot, I don't want a touchscreen in my car. I like the 1980s retro black and white LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #42
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Again, I have no grinding noises at all and acceleration is smooth, even at low speed. It isn't torque converter smooth but then it doesn't have a torque converter so expecting that is unreasonable. The problem for some may be the expectation that, as an "auto" transmission they expect it to feel just like a regular auto -- it aint!

Maybe it's the way I drive but even at slow speed and stop and go I have no problems at all. I do not have much stop and go as a regular part of my driving and perhaps those that regularly are stuck in stop and go driving do experience issues that the more limited stop and go I see doesn't generate.

I've over 35 years experience in mostly 5 speed manuals and was so smooth with my shifts that you could barely notice them, particularly above the 1-2 shift. I have driven the car from day one with the eye towards fuel economy so you could say I granny it most of the time, but I do on occasion run her out a bit and I do use S and S-manual quite a bit.

So, how do we explain the fact that some have grinding noises even with the latest software/firmware while others, like me, have no unusual noises at all? I suspect that earlier cars either had defective components or the assembly was not good. It's also possible that the earlier cars damaged some components with the older software and updating the software isn't going to fix the damaged components. Grinding noises sound to me like the shifting isn't timed correctly and that could be due to bent or damaged shifting hardware...

Brian
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #43
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk
With that said, I've gotten to like the DCT, except for the grinding noises. If someone can show me how exactly two pieces of metal grinding together hard enough to make that loud a noise is not causing wear and tear, then I'll gladly keep the car past its warranty. If ford is so confident about it, then maybe they won't mind extending it a few years.
I only want to say that the grinding noise of my DCT simply disappeared. I have 22 000 km on it, the FSA was done when it had 16 000 km and since the last 2 000 km I don't have any grinding noise at all. And the following was posted by another user and you might give it a look: http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon.../pdf/2DPS6.pdf
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #44
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
DCTs don't like city driving anyways and 400 miles is too early to say, if ts still 24mpg in city after 1000 miles then take it to the dealer and see what's up.

Personally I did a lot of city and sat at 28mpg as far as that went. Would break 35 easily on highway use.

Apart from the fact that my Ti is awaiting it's fate as a parts car/being recycled it gave me no issues. Not the MFT. Not the DCT. Nothing. It's why I loved it so much, it just worked day in and day out.
The DCTs don't like city driving, you're right. Also, my girl told me she's lighter on the pedal thus resulting in 30 mpg. She text me the picture with the quote, "I'm driving like a grandma, but I'm getting 30 mpg. So no complaints."

The MFT is getting better by the day. I actually enjoy using it. If it wasn't so damn slow to respond, it would be an awesome system to use. More RAM needed, Ford. More RAM will solve that problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #45
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
The MFT is getting better by the day. I actually enjoy using it. If it wasn't so damn slow to respond, it would be an awesome system to use. More RAM needed, Ford. More RAM will solve that problem.
What it needs is a faster processor and RAM. The 400 MHz Freescale has less poop than a Celeron processor. And 1998 called, they want there 133 Mhz RAM back.

Intel Atom would have been a way better choice but I think a Core-I3 would be perfect for this application.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #46
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
My car has had one problem...the suspension noise. That is being fixed next week.

Otherwise, I love this car and have recommended Ford as well as the Focus to other people.

Just for reference, my 1/29/12 build has 15K miles on it.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #47
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
What it needs is a faster processor and RAM. The 400 MHz Freescale has less poop than a Celeron processor. And 1998 called, they want there 133 Mhz RAM back.

Intel Atom would have been a way better choice but I think a Core-I3 would be perfect for this application.
Somebody just needs to install windows auto embedded on a tablet and find a way to get it to interface with the car
Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #48
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Thanks for your feedback everyone!

I just wanted to jump in and let you know we're working on an update, but I can't speculate on a release date. Stay tuned to our SYNC Owner to Owner forum for upcoming announcements:

http://boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pf...cmb&listMode=0

The same goes for AppLink, engineering is working to expand this feature, but no timing has been promised.

For those of you experiencing connection issues, I'd like to suggest an alternative pairing method. Instead of the usual process where your phone finds SYNC, SYNC will find your phone. Directions can be found in the link below:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...c-myford-touch

For questions or concerns not related to In-Vehicle Technology, give my partner Thomas a shout. His user name is: FordCustomerService.

By the way, if you haven't heard, the Outside Air Temperature Display will be back on the main screen with the next update!

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #49
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
My car has around 22k miles on it (pre-ordered and picked mine up around a month before it was a released -- Ford ties) and I've had no problems. I've driven a good number of cars, and a good number of those were semi-high-priced cars. I'm not going to try and convince you to do one thing or another...either you want it or you don't.

One thing I'd say is that you shouldn't read *forums* for reviews. Forums are most-often filled with negative thoughts, because the negative voices are always the loudest.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #50
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
My car has had one problem...the suspension noise. That is being fixed next week.

Otherwise, I love this car and have recommended Ford as well as the Focus to other people.

Just for reference, my 1/29/12 build has 15K miles on it.
And the two rattles I remember you posting about fixing; pass door reflector and gauge trim. Or don't you consider rattles a problem?

I have those two plus maybe 3-4 others that rattle sporadically. So far that's my major disappointment with the car, the DCT having fallen to a distant second. I've never had another new car with so many rattles. It's especially annoying since in their literature Ford touts having rigorously engineered the interior specifically to eliminate rattles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->