Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL? - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL with 50 MPG at $25,000
YES 92 68.15%
NO 20 14.81%
Maybe 23 17.04%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #71
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The problem with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles- if that's what you meant- is the low power output. Typically those get ridiculously low fuel economy as compared to anything else- the actual fuel cost might be less, but that depends on how you get your distilled water, and how far you travel. I like that idea too- if it can be made sustainable.

For one, you need to have enough "Brown's gas" to start the engine, so that means turning the key on, and waiting until the pressure is high enough. I don't know how that will work. Would a mix stay in the lines? Is there a danger of sparks from the electrical components on a low tank? What voltage gives the best return on gas with the lowest electrolyte? What is an acceptable electrolyte?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #72
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wouldn't buy a diesel Focus, but I would be all over a Focus wagon.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #73
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The problem with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles- if that's what you meant- is the low power output. Typically those get ridiculously low fuel economy as compared to anything else- the actual fuel cost might be less, but that depends on how you get your distilled water, and how far you travel. I like that idea too- if it can be made sustainable.

For one, you need to have enough "Brown's gas" to start the engine, so that means turning the key on, and waiting until the pressure is high enough. I don't know how that will work. Would a mix stay in the lines? Is there a danger of sparks from the electrical components on a low tank? What voltage gives the best return on gas with the lowest electrolyte? What is an acceptable electrolyte?
15 years ago it was a drawing in Popular Science. Maybe in that same amount of time from now, the couple of working, already on the world cars will have been improved upon to a point where maybe they're close to what some of the better EVs are like now, possibly better. Maybe it'll even be a hybrid of those two green technologies. That could really reduce the EV's need to be recharged (and thus reducing its draw from other carbon-emissions power sources; Why so few people question where the power comes from at the outlet is beyond me).

ANY, and I mean any non petroleum/fossil fuel solution will require drastic retooling of our infrastructure. But, no pain, no gain. Here's hoping someone smarter than myself with a mean slide rule and CAD figures it out.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #74
DaleS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101043
What I Drive: 2011 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 DaleS Good Standing Member
I wish that American car Companies had lots of cars with diesel engines to choose from as they do in Europe.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #75
dieselboy77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61381
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3

FF Reputation: 2 dieselboy77 Good Standing Member
I would if i was in the market for a diesel car
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #76
Z_interactive
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69219
What I Drive: 2007 blue 1.6

FF Reputation: 2 Z_interactive Good Standing Member
I'm in europe and for now I can choose between 7 petrole engines:
1.0 Ecoboost 105/125 hp
1.6 Duratec 85/105/125 hp
1.6 Ecoboost 150/182 hp
and 5 diesel engines
1.6 Duratorq 95/115 hp
2.0 Duratorq 115/140/163 hp

If I had money now I would buy 1.6 Duratec 125 hp, it will be available to buy until around summer 2013. Afther that I would buy UPCOMING ECONETIC 1.6 Duratorq 105 hp.
Why? Because maintaining 1.0 EB is more expensive than 1.6 diesel and it drinks more fuel so its just pointless + performances are the same. And on top of that you can't rev it! What is the point of petrol if you can't rev it to at least 7000 rpm!!!

SO right now i would go for naturally aspirated petrol - but turbo petrol or turbo diesel - diesel!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #77
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleS View Post
I wish that American car Companies had lots of cars with diesel engines to choose from as they do in Europe.
The problem is that as much as some of us claim to like the idea of a diesel, when they actually get offered to us, we just don't seem to buy them. Consider that VW which has been selling diesels here for almost four decades can barely break the 5% of their total volume with diesels, despite their clientele supposedly being very efficiency-oriented.

The manufacturers don't believe us and I don't blame them.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #78
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
The problem is that as much as some of us claim to like the idea of a diesel, when they actually get offered to us, we just don't seem to buy them. Consider that VW which has been selling diesels here for almost four decades can barely break the 5% of their total volume with diesels, despite their clientele supposedly being very efficiency-oriented.

The manufacturers don't believe us and I don't blame them.
From what I'm reading almost 1/3rd of jetta purchases are TDI historically?

Also try buying a used TDI. Part of the reason is they run FOREVER. My buddy tried multiple times to go test drive and buy Jetta TDIs. All of them sold before he could get there.

The Cruze shown above, if it only got 40mpg would be a blast to drive with an M6. 160hp and 256tq? It would be way faster than the regular cruze, and hella fast with a tune. Most diesels get an improvement in MPG with a tune as well.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #79
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
From what I'm reading almost 1/3rd of jetta purchases are TDI historically?

Also try buying a used TDI. Part of the reason is they run FOREVER. My buddy tried multiple times to go test drive and buy Jetta TDIs. All of them sold before he could get there.

The Cruze shown above, if it only got 40mpg would be a blast to drive with an M6. 160hp and 256tq? It would be way faster than the regular cruze, and hella fast with a tune. Most diesels get an improvement in MPG with a tune as well.
It seems my numbers were slightly out of date. Looks like for the first quarter of 2012 VW actually managed to push diesels up to 23% of their total sales. Furthermore, VW now holds 73% of the diesel car market in the US.

That could be a good sign for diesel cars from other manufacturers, if they feel the trend is sustainable, we'll see. I, for one, would love a 2.7TD Toyota Tacoma.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #80
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A Duratorq Focus is not crazy, this is crazy: Tri-Turbo Mercedes SLS Diesel

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks