2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 77 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #761
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Good news! I just got a call from the dealership. They have ordered the parts to perform TSB 12-6-17. Even better news!
At this point it's no longer as urgent as it once was to have it repaired. I have decided to trade it in on a new Titanium Escape.
Wow; big decision! Remember to grab a new Escape badge right after you do it: http://social.ford.com/grab-a-badge/2013+escape/yes/. I hope you'll remain an active member in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Anyone have a copy of the TSB?
You'll need to visit your dealer to find out more about this bulletin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
They ordered the part. My sister knows someone up at the front office so she called him. He said they definitely should replace it if they have the TSB. So it worked out. Thanks for the offer, though!...This was my very first visit to the service department and I gave them checklist of things I needed them to look at.
You're welcome! Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bames_Jond View Post
...So for me (thank you, helpful CSM), it will be more vacation time used for something other than a vacation and a drive across town to the next closest dealer...

I realize I have the '10 model, but my Focus has such similar suspension maladies to some of the ones you folks here have been experiencing...
Sent you a PM earlier today. Our dealers will do the best job possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
I'm going on week 3 of clunk free driving - every morning when I leave home, I turn off the radio and still listen ... just in case it was start over, but it seems like it was fixed!

Yay for me !
Cruising in the Focus is your new quiet time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Is this a TSB we are getting a letter about, or just one to take care of complaints/occurrences of the clunk and you have to go to the dealer and hope for the best? I get the clunk, but it isn't too bad YET...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
You won't get a letter, if you have the clunk you have to approach your Service dept about it. It is just a service bulletin to help the mechanics diagnose the problem.
Hey guys -

If you haven't done so, zx3matt, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll loop in your Customer Service Manager. Thanks a bunch for your reply, dyn085! Totally agree with you.

Have a good weekend,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #762
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Wow; big decision! Remember to grab a new Escape badge right after you do it: http://social.ford.com/grab-a-badge/2013+escape/yes/. I hope you'll remain an active member in this forum.

Thomas
It's staying in the family. I'm giving it to my parents and using their 2010 Chevy Malibu as a trade in. So yes I'll still stop in here from time to time.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #763
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
. . . the clunking and popping sounds had seemingly been amplified (now it goes to 11).
Mike
Don't mean to make light of your situation, but I laughed out loud at this reference. (I'm guessing you included it for humor.)

I too have noticed the clunking sound and will be letting my dealer know next trip in.

Hope you get your problems resolved completely.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #764
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
Taking my first road trip tomorrow. This will tell me a lot. I'm beginning to think I'll be trading this in. Only had it 3 months and will take a beating but I have to make payments on it and it should be something I like. I love the car's styling but it's just so under powered on the low end and the AC is crazy poor. We'll see.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #765
Bames_Jond
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100409
What I Drive: 2010 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Bames_Jond Good Standing Member
Sir Clunksalot Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
Don't mean to make light of your situation, but I laughed out loud at this reference. (I'm guessing you included it for humor)
Indeed I did - trying my best here to de-stress an ownership experience that is becoming a bigger pain in the rear with each subsequent service visit. It's nice to see there's another Christopher Guest fan on the thread though.

Well, Sir Clunksalot goes into a different service dept. tomorrow for repair attempt #5 (wish me luck)... I am a little nervous that the "note" the CSM left in the system after our somewhat less than pleasant conversation last Thursday may make shop #2 feel coerced into corroborating shop #1's official statement, but I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse.

Out of curiosity, has anyone uploaded A/V of their clunking Focus on YouTube? I think real video showing when the noises occur and what exactly they sound like might be beneficial to other owners of affected cars (as well as Ford).

Still Clunking Along,

Mike
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #766
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97979
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
I'll try to get a good recording of the sound, mine has been clunking at low speeds/braking for about a month now. Currently has 8000 miles.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #767
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone uploaded A/V of their clunking Focus on YouTube? I think real video showing when the noises occur and what exactly they sound like might be beneficial to other owners of affected cars (as well as Ford).
I know a few have tried/trying. I tried two methods. I literally duct taped my phone to the strut/suspension towers inside the engine bay area..(obviously there was an excess of engine noise, who knew, jk). Then, I duct taped my phone into the wheel well right next to the strut/spring assembly. I got a lot better recording, though not something that "sounds exactly like the clunk/pop I hear from inside the car whilst driving"; but more promising than the engine bay. Which leads me to conclude, that it is very hard to get an identical cluck/pop/rattle without say, some top of the line A/V equipment with audio editing software, la-di-da-di-da...

I'll try and get my video up sometime real soon, if only I can edit it.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #768
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Update...

The dealer definitely has heard the sound in my car (ride along) and is working to fix the problem. However, the issue is that all the TSBs out for related problems apply to cars with build dates earlier than mine. Thus, even though they acknowledge the issue, they're trying to figure out how to cover it as a warranty repair. Hopefully they can straighten it out with Ford this week!

The service advisor heard the noise within about 15 seconds. We hadn't even pulled out of the parking lot at the dealership! I've also received phone calls from the regional CSM thanks to some initial PM action on here with the Ford reps. So, while it's not yet fixed, I'm definitely satisfied with the attention it's now receiving.
Was back at the dealer the other day. They know it's making noises, but Ford has told them that whatever TSBs apply to it don't apply to when/where my car was built. So, right now, they're stuck.

Looks like I'm going have to escalate this through my Regional CSM...

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #769
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Was back at the dealer the other day. They know it's making noises, but Ford has told them that whatever TSBs apply to it don't apply to when/where my car was built. So, right now, they're stuck.

TiPilot...i'm getting ready to take mine in for the clunking/clattering too. Can you tell me which dealer you went to in Dayton? Out of the three in the area...(Tipp/Interstate/Townsend) I'm inclined to try Interstate since I've had good experience with their shop. (I've bought cars from two of the three though)

PM me if you can. Love to know the advisor you talked to so I don't have to start from scratch and explain the issue to someone who is clueless.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #770
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:

What is your build date? The TSB covers cars built up to 4-2-12.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks