Cruise control issue. - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #21
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just started to have this issue over the last few days. Turning the ignition on and off will sometimes bring it back, but over the last four drives I have taken, it has failed to function on three of them. No clue when I have time to get to the dealership (especially since I am worried of another 2 week span without my car), but the annoyance of this should make it pretty soon.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
amplifier28
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97039
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Ford Focus SE

Points 367, Level 7
Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 amplifier28 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My cruise control started to function again after the powertrain reprogram to the automatic transmission. It was working again since then, but today it ceased to function. It only functioned once during my 30 mile commute today. I guess I will take it into the dealership when I am in town again while it does not function.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplifier28 View Post
My cruise control started to function again after the powertrain reprogram to the automatic transmission. It was working again since then, but today it ceased to function. It only functioned once during my 30 mile commute today. I guess I will take it into the dealership when I am in town again while it does not function.
I took mine into the dealership at the beginning of the week and they couldn't get it to not work (which is weird since of the last dozen drives in the car I took it failed to function each time, but it worked for me every time when I tried after they looked at it as well). They told me to drive it in when it wasn't working and they'd look at it. When I got home and turned the car off/on it wasn't working, but the dealership was closed by then. Tried when I woke up the next day and it wasn't working still so I drove it in and they looked at it.
They stated that it started working again while they looked at it, but because of what the pinpoint diagnostic said they think it's either an angle steering sensor issue (which they said they didn't want to replace yet since they already have once despite the fact that it was because they broke it doing the steering TSB) or a "multi-function button failure." They supposedly sent a message to Ford tech services to get their input on it and would get back to me. Haven't heard anything from them yet, but we'll see when my replacement seat rail comes in that they ordered.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
agamben0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88778
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan (Sterling Grey)

FF Reputation: 1 agamben0 Good Standing Member
I just had my car in yesterday to have this exact problem looked at. They could even reproduce it (lucky me!). But all they did was take apart the switch and put it back together and it started working for them.

Unfortunately, on my drive home from the dealer, it once again wasn't working for me. I don't have time to deal with it this or next week so I guess I just go without cruise control for a little while. Disappointed.

They did fix all my other woes though in this visit so I must say I'm quite happy otherwise.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #25
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamben0 View Post
I just had my car in yesterday to have this exact problem looked at. They could even reproduce it (lucky me!). But all they did was take apart the switch and put it back together and it started working for them.

Unfortunately, on my drive home from the dealer, it once again wasn't working for me. I don't have time to deal with it this or next week so I guess I just go without cruise control for a little while. Disappointed.

They did fix all my other woes though in this visit so I must say I'm quite happy otherwise.
Were you able to get this looked at again? Any info on what they said? My dealership still hasn't really gotten in touch with me about what Ford said and my car is still having cruise issues.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
amplifier28
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97039
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Ford Focus SE

Points 367, Level 7
Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 amplifier28 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have not had a chance to take in to the dealership, but my cruise control is working most of the time and only fails sometimes now.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,279, Level 35
Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I always use my cruise control. I have the same problem. My cruise controls sometimes fails to engage. Going to take my car to the dealer to have it checked out in about a week when the school year is over. Will keep you posted about what is exactly fixed.
Quote:
I have not had a chance to take in to the dealership, but my cruise control is working most of the time and only fails sometimes now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphoto View Post
my cruise stopped working today on a long trip. What a pain. I'll take it to the dealer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamben0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
...My dealership still hasn't really gotten in touch with me about what Ford said and my car is still having cruise issues.
Hi everyone -

If any of you are still experiencing cruise control issues, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer. I'll be glad to send all details to your region's Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ9012 View Post
Wow this issue became common pretty quickly. Contagious perhaps?
Sounds like a case by case basis; unless the Focus could cough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphoto View Post
...As far as ergonomics, the paddle design is horrible. making the on/off switch physically part of the +/- rocker makes for a lot of accidental presses. It's really a poor design. Bu tI had gotten careful and thus used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I really don't like the steering wheel controls for the cruise control!...They could have easily designed it so that all cruise functions were done with push operations so that the pull button, now used for cancel/resume, could be used, in combination with a rededicated Voice command pull button on the other side, for paddle shifters...
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
...I have on numerous occasions meant to press the "-" button to slow it down a notch only to feel the whole rocker wobble and activate the on/off switch. As I said, this is the worst designed steering wheel control interface I have ever used in my entire 55 year life -- absolutely horrid!

...but there is simply no excuse for Ford ever letting this t*rd of a design get green lighted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ9012 View Post
Would have to say I find the opposite, love the layout more intuitive to me.
Don't be shy to get other fans and enthusiasts involved; please submit all ideas regarding cruise control functionality here: http://social.ford.com/. Thanks for your approval, Russ9012!

Have a good weekend,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone -
If any of you are still experiencing cruise control issues, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer. I'll be glad to send all details to your region's Customer Service Manager.
Thanks for the offer, but I've decided that unless the issue poses serious safety concerns, I'm just not even bothering going to the dealerships anymore. I'm just going to take it in a week or so before I trade it in in three months to get the cumulation of issues hopefully dealt with. I was just checking in on this thread to see if anyone had an issue that was easily resolvable themselves that I could try. Although slightly off-topic, if you happen to know the process for cancelling an ESP I would appreciate that information.

Note: This should not be construed as a recommendation for others not to visit their dealership and get their issues resolved, I've just become way too tired and inconvenienced by my car's issues and it's worth it to me to take the loss I'll suffer by trading it in. If you look at this forum you can see my breadth of issues is far outside the norm.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
JimNtexas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97485
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JimNtexas Good Standing Member
The cruise control switches on my 2012 SE are indeed a horrible design. My CC never worked 100% since day one. Some days only the on/off and '+' buttons worked. On other days nothing worked. After almost exactly a year and 24000 miles it seemed to have finally failed totally.

I was actually very happy about that, because I knew that the dealer would almost certainly say 'works for us'.

So I took it in to a dealer. Latter that day I got a call. 'The computer says the CC works, and it worked on our test drive.' But they did do the wiper and transmission software recalls.

Sign.

So I pick it up, not totally surprised, since I suspected the switch assembly all along. They said they had test drove it, but the 'miles to empty' readout hasn't changed. I think they did some kind of computer reset on the CC, but didn't really drive it.

I pull out of the dealership. It won't work, but it's failing in a different way. Before it would typically turn off with any button press on its bad days.

Now it turns on, I see the 'Set speed' display. But neither the + or - switches do any thing.

Back to the dealer, leaving the car running I kidnap the service writer and demonstrate the problem. Latter the service writer calls to say it may be a day or two to fix.

Two days latter they call and said they have replaced the switch unit and now it works.

I pick it up, pull out of the dealership, and indeed it works! After a stop I try to engage it and again it will turn on, but the + and - buttons don't do anything!

I start to freak out, so far I've been very patient. On a hunch, I flick the resume/cancel paddle several times and now CC works!

So clearly my second switch assembly has some kind of intermittent problem, just like the first one.

This is a serious design flaw in another wise very nice car.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #30
Russ9012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98667
What I Drive: 2012 Ebony Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Russ9012 Good Standing Member
My cruise is failing intermittently again, have a service apt scheduled on tuesday to get it looked at. A little disheartened

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.