Any interest in headlight modifications? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
Darketernal3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98631
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Darketernal3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am very interested in these retrofits.... I would be willing to buy a set from ya... if you can make them for less than what Ford is asking.....
I would also be interested to see how it turns out :D
You prob could start a small business doing retro fits <.<
SE Sports Package
Two toned sports interior Stone/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
I would be interested if the lighting was truly an improvement. My neighbor has a BMW with HID's and they are poor compared to the lights my 2012 Focus has. The low beams have a sharp cutoff and don't reach very far, yet the dealer told him that is normal for these types of lights. My low beams are almost better than his high beams despite the fact his car cost literally twice as much. I would not make a change strictly for looks, only for a substantial lighting boost. Form is 2nd to function to me.
The cutoff on these headlights is amazing for not being HID. I would only upgrade if it was a major improvement because compared to my sable, it's a night and day difference, literally.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal3 View Post
I am very interested in these retrofits.... I would be willing to buy a set from ya... if you can make them for less than what Ford is asking.....
I would also be interested to see how it turns out :D
You prob could start a small business doing retro fits <.<
I would be interested to purchasing a set too, if you want to sell that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
The cutoff on these headlights is amazing for not being HID. I would only upgrade if it was a major improvement because compared to my sable, it's a night and day difference, literally.
Even if there is little to no improvement, projectors make the HID lights in the focus "legal". Or alteast much less obvious to law enforcemnt. Right now i have HID's in my projectors and i always worry about that ONE time, but obviously not enough to not run HIDs.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #34
jfsiutza
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97007
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Blk

FF Reputation: 1 jfsiutza Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
I would be interested if the lighting was truly an improvement. My neighbor has a BMW with HID's and they are poor compared to the lights my 2012 Focus has. The low beams have a sharp cutoff and don't reach very far, yet the dealer told him that is normal for these types of lights. My low beams are almost better than his high beams despite the fact his car cost literally twice as much. I would not make a change strictly for looks, only for a substantial lighting boost. Form is 2nd to function to me.
The Bosch HID Projectors in the BMW's are by far the least favorable HID projectors that most retrofitters know of. I've seen BMW owners upgrade to Lexus projectors or Mitsubishi Projectors Just because there OEM BMW HID's SUCK! so i know for sure retrofitting a 2012 focus will be a upgrade and make everything legal and have a great cut off
Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #35
A-to-the-J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99555
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 A-to-the-J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
Agreed on this projector.

Was looking at these as well to use if I had to go the retrofit route.

Interested to see your progress craigsfocus!
If this is the case, I have a set of Lexus RX headlights, instead of selling them, I'm going to use them.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #36
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Dude! Definitely!
HN #167
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #37
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'll also be interested to see what kind of shroud you go with. That's the only part I'm still up in the air about.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #38
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
So I got my "lab rat" headlight on Friday. Working on getting it apart now. Kind of disappointed with what I received. The headlight was destroyed. The black backing is gone and the inner reflector is separated. But its still somewhat useable for what I am gonna do. There is enough of the backing to be able to practice getting the clear lens off. Here are some pictures of what I got.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #39
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
So I just got what was left of the black backing off. The tools I used: A steak knife, razor blade, flat head screwdriver, and some oven mitts. The Permaseal is very hard stuff to work with. First I looked around the headlight and used a razor to cut off the adhesive that was sticking out, more adhesive you can get off, the better. Then I heated it up at 250 degrees for 7.5 minutes. Started working at the adhesive right out of the oven (use some oven mitts because the headlight is HOT), then once the adhesive became almost impossible to work with, I popped it back in the oven. I repeated that process 6 times. This requires and steady hand and some patience. Be careful when you are working the adhesive out of the headlight, the plastic is slightly brittle, it does have some give, but it will let you know when you went too far, by breaking. Work around the headlight as quick you can, but carefully, because the permaseal gets tougher to work with relatively quick.

I am still waiting to get my Projectors. I had some unexpected things pop up that is delaying my little project.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
bump for updates. this is a neat project!
Sonic Crew #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks