TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 48 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #471
manueljones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98333
What I Drive: 2012 red candy Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 manueljones Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Did you get a chance to take it in today?
Yes. Wife dropped it off after noon. Told them to keep as long as needed to fix it. Dealer gave my wife a 2008 Fusion loaner to drive while Focus is in shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #472
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Since the weather started climbing into the 90's the last couple of weeks here in Portland I've noticed something eerily consistent about the DCT, it does not like hot weather! The lag is terrible, especially when attempting to accelerate quickly from a rolling 5-10 MPH. I just about got creamed today trying to switch lanes as a truck five cars back switched lanes at the same time a lot quicker while my Focus hesitated for a couple seconds, sputtered, then took off like a rocket as the engine redlined. Then it stayed like that for a couple more seconds even after I took my foot off the pedal.

Freakin' scary!

Should bought the 5MT instead.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #473
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Since the weather started climbing into the 90's the last couple of weeks here in Portland I've noticed something eerily consistent about the DCT, it does not like hot weather! The lag is terrible, especially when attempting to accelerate quickly from a rolling 5-10 MPH. I just about got creamed today trying to switch lanes as a truck five cars back switched lanes at the same time a lot quicker while my Focus hesitated for a couple seconds, sputtered, then took off like a rocket as the engine redlined. Then it stayed like that for a couple more seconds even after I took my foot off the pedal.

Freakin' scary!

Should bought the 5MT instead.
I'd say you should change maybe the fuel station. I change it from 87 to 91 and I see a difference in what concerns the "pull". Nice and puts a great smile on my face.

P.S. Here we had some +90 temp for 3 weeks already and I don't experience anything like you mention. One question though, how did you drove it the first 1000 miles (1600 km) ?
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #474
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I'd say you should change maybe the fuel station. I change it from 87 to 91 and I see a difference in what concerns the "pull". Nice and puts a great smile on my face.

P.S. Here we had some +90 temp for 3 weeks already and I don't experience anything like you mention. One question though, how did you drove it the first 1000 miles (1600 km) ?
I drove for economy for about the first 3000 miles with an occasional romp on the pedal now and then. Gas was $4.00+ a gallon then and I was constantly watching the MPGs to see how high I could get them, kind of a game. It's approaching 5000 miles now and I've been driving the last 2000 with little thought of the mileage and more of a mix of normal and aggressive driving.

The car is so darn fun to drive it's easy to forget about the low speed issues with the DCT and that can be a mistake under the right (or wrong) circumstances.

I'll try a tank of higher octane as suggested, thanks for the tip!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #475
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Looks like there is a post-12b37 reflash avaiable.

12b37 was applied to my car in early May. In the last few days I started to notice new, odd behavior (attempted downshifts for a split second while using cruise control - no, it was not induced engine braking while on a downgrade), so I took it in.

Frankly, the service rep had no idea what I was describing, but after a test drive the tech decided I was experiencing "harsh shifts". He then found there were 2 software updates available: one for the engine, one for the DCT and applied them both. No numbers or identifiers on the work order, just text. But it is sort-of remarkable that an update is available this soon after the major changes of 12b37. Mine was one of the early recipients of 12b37; I imagine more recent recipients could already include these latest changes.

It may be a placebo effect, but to me throttle response seems a bit crisper (still not great, though) and launch and 1/2 shifts seem a bit smoother. Who knows if it will solve the problem I took it in for.

On one hand, it is indeed annoying to own what seems to be a work-in-process. At the same time, you have to give Ford credit for keeping at it.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #476
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Looks like there is a post-12b37 reflash available.
God damn it. Now I have to live knowing that I don't have the most up-to-date software.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #477
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
God damn it. Now I have to live knowing that I don't have the most up-to-date software.
Did I mention the paint seems glossier, too?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #478
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Did I mention the paint seems glossier, too?
Are you sure they didn't just reflash it with 12b37, but actually complete the drive cycle as well this time rather than it being a new update?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #479
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Are you sure they didn't just reflash it with 12b37, but actually complete the drive cycle as well this time rather than it being a new update?
They described them as new updates, so I'd guess they were not just redoing what had been done before. It only took about an hour, so I don't think a drive cycle was included.

Wasn't exactly invited to look over the tech's shoulder though, so all I know is what they told me.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #480
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
That's what I was thinking. If there is really a brand new DCT update, I imagine one of our "insiders" will get us a TSB notice soon enough..

Bookmarks & Social Networks