Any interest in headlight modifications? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Any interest in headlight modifications?

Finally got the projectors installed! This is a very time consuming thing especially if you live in a apartment without a garage.

Here is my write up.

Disclaimer: I am no way responsible for any damages to your car or headlights due to your decision to tackle this project. If you feel this project is too challenging for you, hire a professional to do this modification.

Things you will need:

1) BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1) with Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds & H11 Wire Harness & 35w Bulbs/Ballasts- $270.00
2) Morimoto H11 Stand Alone Can Bus Harness- $30.00
3) Lots of Time
4) Lots of Patience

Step One: Very carefully get the headlights out of the car by removing the two screws and sliding them forward to remove them off the car. Then remove the headlight plugs.

Step Two: Now pre heat your oven to 275 degrees. While you are waiting for the oven to heat up, take a sharp hobby knife around the gap of the headlight to score the adhesive, as you are doing that remove the access adhesive that is sticking out from the factory. Once the oven is heated up, place one of the headlights in the oven for 7-8 minutes. Once 7-8 minutes have passed remove from the oven (BE CAREFUL ITS HOT SO USE OVEN MITTS) and start going at the headlight adhesive with sharp razor and scoring the adhesive, try to remove as much as possible. I also used a small flat head screw driver to pry up on the black plastic. BE CAREFUL TO WITH THE PLASTIC BECAUSE ITS HOT AND SOFT, IF YOU PRESS TOO HARD ON THE PLASTIC WITH THE FLAT HEAD YOU WILL PUNCTURE IT OR TEAR IT. Repeat this process until you have the headlight separated. Once you have the headlight separated, you need to remove the reflector from the black plastic piece. It just pops off with a some pulling. Firmly but carefully. If you wanna remove the crome inner-ring of the lens, you need to remove the screws by the turn signal housing with a T-10 screw driver. The it will require some wiggling around and it will come out easily.

All apart

Step Three: Next remove the little head light bulb end cap. Its a single screw (T-20) on the base of the reflector. Once you get that out, take a dremel and sand some material out of the bulb socket, go a little at a time until you are able to fit the projector in the hole snugly. Now. Where the bulb end cap was, grind out a little material so you can get the projector solenoid wire through it. Once you are done with that. Clean up all the dust. Install the silicon washer on the projector and install the projector by feeding the threads through the hole. If you look on the back of the projector (the shiny side) on the lip you will see "TOP" make sure that it is upright and on the top and as level as possible. Once you get the projector in place, you will need to wire the solenoid wire into the high beam harness. I pushed the blade tips into the backside of the pin connector on the black housing. Once you get that done, you will need to slice the rubber access covers that go on the backside of the black housing to make way for the the factory wire and the bulb wiring. The bulb wiring from Morimoto has a rubber grommet on it so I just pulled that through. Now reattach the reflector housing to the black housing by aligning the holes to the silver poles, done this firmly but carefully.

This is where I did the grinding to the slot where the little bulb end cap was.

This picture shows where the wire went through the slot and how the silicon grommet has to go on the projector.

The projector installed

The projector installed with the Min Gatling Gun Shroud.

How I fed the wires through the rubber plugs

Step Four: Reassemble the entire headlight assembly. Make sure you have removed most of the factory adhesive if not all. Now lay down your butle adhesive that you got from TRS. This stuff is very reactive so as soon as you start pushing the lens back on, it will start sticking so make sure you have the two plastic pins lined up as you are placing the lens back on. Then start pushing the lens on firmly. Once you have the headlights together place them in the oven at 275 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Once they come out the oven you may have to press some places of the headlight together again. Let the headlights cool off.

Step 5: Install the headlights into the car and wire the bulbs and ballasts. Everything in the kit connects together with 9006 plugs. I tried using the Stand alone Can-Bus Harness by itself as TRS advertises but it doesn't work, well it works part of the time. I think the harness overheats. So you have to use the regular harness that TRS normally packs in their kits.

Optional Mods: Ti Style Shroud and LED outlining.

The LED Outlining Mod:

I used the underside of the black part I painted. I just super glued the LED strand to the bottom of it. I had to super glue each LED until they dried. So it took me a while. Once they where all dried, I ran the wire to the back and assembled my headlight assembly. I ran the positive wires to the fusebox and used a slot that was powered when the car was started. I ran the ground wires to the ground on the strut mount.

The LED strip I used I was able to cut with 36 LEDs (I think) on each side. Here is the link where I bought them. They are the Cool Blue that cost $22.95+ Shipping
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...light-bar/123/

All Installed pictures: Daytime

Installed pictures night time:

Light Shot from drivers side of car with High Beams Off 5000k bulbs

Light shot from drivers side of car with High Beams On 5000k Bulbs and Stock High Beam bulbs installed

Cut off with Highbeams off 5000k Bulbs

Overall, the install was very time consuming and not the easiest thing. But these projectors are very bright with a nice cutoff. I plan on upgrading the bulbs in the high beam space to some that match the color of the HIDs. I do still have the bulb out warning come on but for now the lights work flawless. Feel free to ask questions about the install. I hope this helps anyone willing to tackle the job.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.

Last edited by craigsfocus; 08-20-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Chet Bigguns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95423
What I Drive: 2012 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Chet Bigguns Good Standing Member
Yes!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
YES!!! I have been hoping for so long that someone tried a projector retrofit!! Please let us know as it goes along!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Chet Bigguns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95423
What I Drive: 2012 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Chet Bigguns Good Standing Member
I'm not liking the lack of LEDs. Kia even has them in their headlights...
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Points 36,293, Level 100
Points: 36,293, Level: 100 Points: 36,293, Level: 100 Points: 36,293, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Id be interested in this.
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,835, Level 32
Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
If you could make an LED DRL and projector retrofit for this car... I would pay you in money and possibly sexual favors.

EDIT: As long as it's less than Ford's $3,600 BEV headlamp price tag.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
If you could make an LED DRL and projector retrofit for this car... I would pay you in money and possibly sexual favors.

agreed!!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

Points 1,418, Level 21
Points: 1,418, Level: 21 Points: 1,418, Level: 21 Points: 1,418, Level: 21
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Same here, minus the sexual favors.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
Projector and LED DRLs in the housing would be sick

Sent from my MB860 using FF Mobile
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:

LOL! Wow. I will make a "how to" thread on my quest. I plan on doing some stuff with some LED's and I may try to fit a quad projector setup (2 in each housing). So it would be a quad bi xenon setup. My HID's will be in the 4500K-5000K color temperature range. Hint of blue is what I am aiming for. I want it to look like it was from the factory. I will try my hardest to be as detailed as possible with pictures and all. I will start once I get all the parts in. Hopefully my lab rat will provide some knowledge to easily get it apart and I don't mess it up trying to get it apart.

Nice to see the interest in my little project.

Edit: I am also keeping the details to myself until I get them on my lab rat. To keep the suspense up on the Forums.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.