2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 74 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #731
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
So here is a question:
Has anyone ever been contacted by a regional service person and been told hat he problem will fixed? Of course not.
I get a call about once a week from my CSM (who lives 6 states away from me) urging me to just keep trying to take my vehicle in. These people think we have an unlimited amount of free-time in order to keep driving our vehicles to various dealerships around our zip codes.

I just don't have the time or patience for the dealership to say it's vehicle characteristic. I can't just leave work because some person with zero empathy says I should. I actually care about my job and would like to keep it, must be nice for them to have a job that requires them to not problem solve and not give great customer service.

Ford pulled a Tommy Boy and shit in a box and put a guarantee on it.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #732
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,635, Level 95
Points: 24,635, Level: 95 Points: 24,635, Level: 95 Points: 24,635, Level: 95
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Interesting! Mine has the same tag and it's making the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
This is precisely why I believe that it is bearing/top cap related. Springs typically creak when they are bad, not clunk. That, and multiple people whom have replaced their springs with aftermarket parts still have the clunk. Given the parts list of the TSB, this leaves the bearing at fault.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #733
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
This is precisely why I believe that it is bearing/top cap related. Springs typically creak when they are bad, not clunk. That, and multiple people whom have replaced their springs with aftermarket parts still have the clunk. Given the parts list of the TSB, this leaves the bearing at fault.

Dyn085 - I believe you are spot on with this!. Agree 110%
Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #734
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

Points 1,477, Level 21
Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
That's my gut feeling and what I've always encountered as well. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear about the "new" parts and if there is a revised mount.

And to concur with most, the sound was always at low speeds for ours like a speed bump, road surface changes (like cracks), and stone driveways... 25 mph or less.
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD
Old 07-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #735
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
I get a call about once a week from my CSM (who lives 6 states away from me) urging me to just keep trying to take my vehicle in. These people think we have an unlimited amount of free-time in order to keep driving our vehicles to various dealerships around our zip codes.

I just don't have the time or patience for the dealership to say it's vehicle characteristic. I can't just leave work because some person with zero empathy says I should. I actually care about my job and would like to keep it, must be nice for them to have a job that requires them to not problem solve and not give great customer service.

Thats not only hilarious (Tommy boy reference) but sadly I think true in your case. I don't blame you one bit for feeling that way and would be fed up myself if I had the same issues. You are 100% right that its just unreasonable to suggest you spend your time like that running all over the place trying to find someone willing to fix your car when in fact FORD should be the one trying to help get this resolved despite the dealership you go too.

Its been a long time since I had a Ford and like a lot of people really want to support an American made product. I have had too many friends that I know personally told me they would never own another domestic vehicle again and all went to imports and are very happy. I appreciate the Ford CS reps that come on these forums and try to help out and it does create a great perception that Ford is trying to make Customer satisfaction a priority but I honestly think it's inexcusable what you've gone through my friend.

I really hope one day you get this resolved.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #736
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Its been a long time since I had a Ford and like a lot of people really want to support an American made product. I have had too many friends that I know personally told me they would never own another domestic vehicle again and all went to imports and are very happy. I appreciate the Ford CS reps that come on these forums and try to help out and it does create a great perception that Ford is trying to make Customer satisfaction a priority but I honestly think it's inexcusable what you've gone through my friend.

I really hope one day you get this resolved.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I actually wanted to buy American this time around, although I didn't have any problems with my most recent vehicles, a Honda and a Toyota.

I still have faith that I can enjoy this car, but as it stands right now it has been a total nightmare. Every time I see a Focus driving down the road I think, "that poor bastard."
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #737
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
I agree. Ford needs to do a better job at auditing their suppliers.

Sent from my iPad
Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #738
Yellow06saleen
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99526
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Yellow06saleen Good Standing Member
To my amazement I got a call from the dealer this morning stating they were able to find the parts needed for the TSB. Just picked up the car. Doesnt seem to be any noise but will keep you posted. Here are the parts they replaced:

CV6Z5310A - SPRING FRONT X 2
CV6Z18198A - FRONT BEARING SUSP STR X 2
W715490S442 - BOLT X 2
W700212S442 - NUT HEX X 6

I am hoping this works and no other problems. Besides the trans TSB and this issue I had to replace the driverside window control switch which is the first time for any car I have owned. As said here by so many who has the time to keep going to the dealer. Forgot to mention to them to look at the rearview mirror as it keeps tilting downward on its own. Thought I was going crazy until I read others have this. I am trying to love this car and do love it when everything works fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #739
Bames_Jond
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100409
What I Drive: 2010 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Bames_Jond Good Standing Member
Sir Clunksalot Rides Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post

Great line. And, unfortunately, quite appropriate given the situation.

I just got my clunky '10 SES back from the dealer today after a week in the shop (still under the bumper-to-bumper... for another 5600 miles) and, after the installation of new struts and various strut related parts, it's... still clunking. Ugh.

The ironic thing is that even the service dept. admits it's still clunking. Of course, it's about "characteristic for like units at this time" (dealerspeak, I believe, for "we have no idea how to fix the car").

My patience is growing thin with Ford in regard to this issue. I am generally an understanding person (certainly so when I feel someone is working toward a resolution for me) - I have to work directly with clients on a daily basis too - but this dealer line is bunk and we both know it (I drove a comparable unit on their lot and the "characteristic" degree of clunking in that vehicle was noticeably lower than mine).

This SES was my first Ford product and may very well be my last. Time will tell. But one thing's for certain: When someone serves me a crap sandwich and tries to tell me it's delicious, I never come back for seconds.

Still Clunking Around,

Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #740
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

Points 1,477, Level 21
Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow06saleen View Post
To my amazement I got a call from the dealer this morning stating they were able to find the parts needed for the TSB. Just picked up the car. Doesnt seem to be any noise but will keep you posted. Here are the parts they replaced:

CV6Z5310A - SPRING FRONT X 2
CV6Z18198A - FRONT BEARING SUSP STR X 2
W715490S442 - BOLT X 2
W700212S442 - NUT HEX X 6
Same parts as mine done with exception of springs which makes due to you have the Ti with handling package I'm assuming. If that's the case, and the strut bearings are the real problem, these may not be the latest and greatest upgraded parts!
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.