Trip Report: 2,000 Miles in my Focus Ti - Good, Bad, and Ugly - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TiPilot,
Nice job and even though you had some problems, it seems to me it was a great trip.

About the Park Assist, I encourage you to not let the car to go all the way in R, you can brake and put it in D and it will continue its parking job too. I say these because you might find yoursel in a situation where the tires will be too close to the curb and you don't want that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
TiPilot,
Nice job and even though you had some problems, it seems to me it was a great trip.
Yup, it was definitely a fun trip. Saw lots of great sights, ate lots of great food, and drank plenty of great beer!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
If it's any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgonyer View Post
Starting to really stress about MFT. I have a 2013 ST ordered with option package ST3 which includes Nav and MFT. I really want the package for the HID's and black leather seats, but unfortunately you can't get those without MFT. I have a real problem with "technology" that has this many problems being included on cars. Nevermind texting and driving, I wonder how many people have crashed or nearly crashed trying to change a song on the radio etc.
The only problem I've had with mine so far are the Sirius station presets have lost the station names w/graphics twice and I have to restore the presets. One thing that must be remembered with human nature is that people that have a problem with their expensive new cars are much more vocal than those that don't have problems. I think the odds are that you'll be very happy with your awesome new ST w/MFT.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantz12 View Post
Next time you're in Allentown, hit me up! I'll show you everything there isn't to see here!!!
Ditto for Rochester!

Sounds like a great ride and time though, MFT problems aside. So much to love about driving this car that if they could just fix this system, it would be damn near the perfect road trip car! Excellent work on the documentation.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Nice overview. Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Wow, thanks for such a detailed writeup on your trip! The thing that interested me the most, though, was the large spike in MPG when you were running 93 octane. Now, I know that there is already a HUGE thread debating this already, so I am just making the observation. Although, I might just have to try a tank of 93 on my next fill to see how my Focus likes it. Again, thanks for all of the information and pictures (especially).
Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
Wow, thanks for such a detailed writeup on your trip! The thing that interested me the most, though, was the large spike in MPG when you were running 93 octane. Now, I know that there is already a HUGE thread debating this already, so I am just making the observation. Although, I might just have to try a tank of 93 on my next fill to see how my Focus likes it. Again, thanks for all of the information and pictures (especially).
Yeah, some of those threads are what piqued my interest. I figured that 2,000 nearly-all-highway miles in a short time span would be an ideal time to test it out. Unfortunately, that possibly screwed-up pump after the first tank threw a bit of a wrench into everything.

Still... as I mentioned in the one note, based upon where the fuel gauge was when I filled up and its consistency during the rest of the trip I'm inclined to think that I actually used about 6.8 gal as opposed to the 8.3 the pump ticked off. If that's true, then my two tanks on 93 would be 43.0 and 45.0 MPG.

I know I need more data before I can say anything one way or another, but it's interesting. Taking the rest of the trip on 87 into account, it looks like I managed 36-37 MPG on those tanks. So, using the least-beneficial-$-wise case...

- If it's a $0.30 to $0.40 difference per gallon (which comes out to +12% assuming Regular's $3.40/gal)
- The difference in MPG is +16% (37.0 vs 43.0 for nearly 100% highway miles)

...then filling up with Premium would still make sense.

Like I said, it's certainly not conclusive at this point but I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot for a tank or two and seeing how your car fares.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Gregd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86241
What I Drive: 1990 F150

FF Reputation: 1 Gregd Good Standing Member
A few things to consider. Tank 0 not listed may not have been filled to the top. Also the fact that tank 2 had the highest gas mileage makes me think that the suspect tank #1 was filled higher than the rest. A large factor when topping off the tank to the brim. Isn't the pump. If you fill up with the filler neck on your car on the lower end of a hill you will get much less gas in the tank. Could have been you pulled up to tank #1 with the filler on the top of a hill. Even a small slope with cause more of a differnence than you would think.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
nice trip!! you were close to my area in Chester/Lancaster Counties in PA
Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
Revelations
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101027
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
MFT isn't that bad. From my experiences, it does get tangled up once in a while, but a majority of the time it's fine.

I feel if they release another light update, it would be flawless.

Bookmarks & Social Networks