2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released. - Page 27 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #261
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 124,710, Level 100
Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
O_o (scratches head) Seriously?!?!
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #262
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,667, Level 95
Points: 24,667, Level: 95 Points: 24,667, Level: 95 Points: 24,667, Level: 95
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarson View Post
Just a question for someone who may know more than I;
If Ford had dozens of engineers and millions in research for the new focus' engine, and there was a way to increase power AND fuel economy, don't you all think they would have already done it? Why would a smaller company(I'm not by any means calling K&N small) who undoubtedly spent way less on R&D than Ford, be able to improve so much on something which has been already developed so thoroughly? Do you think it is only a noise issue? Because the difference in cost for materials for both a CAI and what they put into the stock Ford intake must be marginal. So what gives?

Don't get me wrong, I brought home my brand new sport pack SE hatch tonight(YES!!!!) and I DO want one of these K&N CAI's! (CARB sticker please Troy!!!!!!!!!)
I obviously cannot speak for the Ford Engineering Team, but it must be taken into consideration that they have to design a vehicle for the masses. NVH is a huge consideration when designing a vehicle, and our run-of-the-mill Focus is less designed for us enthusiasts than it is for the mass of people who want an economic work/commuter/small family car. I would be willing to bet that they settled where they could, because perfecting every single system on the car would have shot costs through the roof.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #263
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3 OX White

Points 2,969, Level 33
Points: 2,969, Level: 33 Points: 2,969, Level: 33 Points: 2,969, Level: 33
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
O_o (scratches head) Seriously?!?!
Was that "seriously" like my question is asinine yet you didn't want to answer it? Or was it "seriously" like that is a valid question which I also want to know the answer too? (head scratch) ; )
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #264
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,969, Level 33
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I obviously cannot speak for the Ford Engineering Team, but it must be taken into consideration that they have to design a vehicle for the masses. NVH is a huge consideration when designing a vehicle, and our run-of-the-mill Focus is less designed for us enthusiasts than it is for the mass of people who want an economic work/commuter/small family car. I would be willing to bet that they settled where they could, because perfecting every single system on the car would have shot costs through the roof.
This ^ is why I thought it may have to do mostly with engineering an appeal to the masses with an ultra quiet yet powerful/efficient engine. As many have reported, the CAI produces a noticeable change in engine noise, which is undesirable to the soccer mom, yet exciting to the enthusiast. Just curious what others thought about the subject.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #265
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100 Points: 124,710, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Was that "seriously" like my question is asinine yet you didn't want to answer it? Or was it "seriously" like that is a valid question which I also want to know the answer too? (head scratch) ; )
Exactly ;)

That subject has been covered many times over, search for answers

The K&N Typhoon is actually super quiet even when pushed hard.
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #266
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,969, Level 33
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post

That subject has been covered many times over, search for answers
Okay. Here is a little rant, so please excuse me ahead of time. And no hard feelings.
I'm sick of forums where everything you ask or discus is responded with disdain and "use the search function". Okay, I understand everyone who desires to post a NEW topic should search to see if the topic is already there. However, if you are discussing a relevant topic in a already open thread, then just discuss it!! To expect someone to search through pages and pages of multiple threads just on a chance that it MAY have been discussed previously is ridiculous.

Okay, rant over. Sorry if I ruffled any tail feathers!

Back to the topic; let's see if we can get more of us California guys showing interest in the C.A.R.B. sticker for this intake. Maybe if more join in, Troy will get the proverbial ball rolling.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #267
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I'm not usually one to say "use the search" I just know even in this thread some of your questions have been answered. But to your first question, manufacturers leave something on the table for the aftermarket. As we've seen in many cases so far, there are a ton of people that have gone back to stock with intake and exhaust cause it adds too much sound. You may notice there are a few that say "f" NHV's and let's have fun.

Hedgehog's don't have tail feathers, don't worry man. ;)

I would love a Sticker being in Albuquerque and we've adopted some CARB regs. Luckily there's no visual only OBD2 tests for emissions.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #268
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,969, Level 33
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy-knfilters View Post
Sorry for the delay Adenhart,

Currently there are no plans to C.A.R.B. Certify this kit, you can always check back with me later. Just so everyone knows if this kit or any other kit for the focus is released and is C.A.R.B. legal I will update the OP. As well as if this kit becomes certified, thanks again everyone!

Troy.
Troy, just curious;
Isn't California a large market demographic for K&N? And why the hesitation/hold up on a CARB legal set up (aside from the obvious CARB costs)?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #269
troy-knfilters
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85424
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Taurus SE (FFV) Vulcan

FF Reputation: 1 troy-knfilters Good Standing Member
Quote:
Troy, just curious;
Isn't California a large market demographic for K&N? And why the hesitation/hold up on a CARB legal set up (aside from the obvious CARB costs)?
Thanks for the inquiry Blarson, those are some great questions!

California is a large market for us, we are extremely proud to be a major manufacturer in the state of California. K&N was started here in Riverside, CA in 1969 and has history here - we will not forget that.

As far as C.A.R.B. certification is concerned, we have submitted the application and are currently waiting on approval for the kit. Keep in mind that this is COMPLETELY out of our hands once we have submitted the application, it is in the hands of the California Air Resources Board.

As soon and IF the application is approved I will update the OP, I must warn you though this takes months even up to a year.

Troy.

Last edited by troy-knfilters; 07-11-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Updated C.A.R.B. Information
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #270
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,969, Level 33
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy-knfilters View Post
Thanks for the inquiry Blarson, those are some great questions!

California is a large market for us, we are extremely proud to be a major manufacturer in the state of California. K&N was started here in Riverside, CA in 1969 and has history here - we will not forget that.

As far as C.A.R.B. certification is concerned, we have submitted the application and are currently waiting on approval for the kit. Keep in mind that this is COMPLETELY out of our hands once we have submitted the application, it is in the hands of the California Air Resources Board.

As soon and IF the application is approved I will update the OP, I must warn you though this takes months even up to a year.

Troy.
Troy,
Thank you very much for the quick and concise response. I totally understand that once the application is submitted you relinquish all control to the "hippy board", and just await their approval or denial. I am very happy that the process has been started.

I know on my old ZX3 had three K&N CAI choices with only one the three having a CARB sticker. So I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not, but are more CAI designs for the MK3 focus in the works? And if I bought the current CAI system, and a CARB sticker became available at a later date, would K&N ship me the CARB sticker? Thanks in advance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.