Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 110 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #1091
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast
 
ElGatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99202
Location: Paterson, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

Posts: 145
FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2300 View Post
Received my 2012 Focus SEL Hatch with the 6 speed Select Shift Auto Tranny this past June 20, 2012. Experienced a little jerkiness and hesitation at lights and stop and go traffic for about the 1st 200 miles of driving. This seems to be resolving itself as most of this is no longer present. It's a great car and I really enjoy driving it. Have about 350 miles on the car now and it rides real smooth. I would recommend this car to anyone.
Bravo to you and 1000's of other satisfied Focus owners. :)
ElGatto is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1092
Becks
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100180
Location: Seattle, WA
What I Drive: 2008 Toyota

Posts: 4
FF Reputation: 1 Becks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm curious about 2 things. I don't know a lot about how this auto tranny works but, I have never heard of needing to drive a new car 500-1,000 miles before it settles in, or acclimates to the way you drive. What happens if you share this car with your significant other, and they have a different driving style ?

Also, why don't the Ford dealers do these program updates b4 the customer takes delivery ?
Becks is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #1093
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
RFrench6646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101073
Location: Gloucester, VA
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am new to this site, I found it in a google search under "2012 Ford Focus Transmission Shudder". I got mine a little over a month ago, It's an SEL, A/T. I noticed the shuddering right away, after receiving it. I now have 3000 miles (mostly highway, obviously). And still have a shudder when starting off from a red light, once it goes, it shifts fine. I have noted that it doesn't do it when the car is first started up. It seems to only happen after it has heated up to normal operating temp. I am going to schedule my first oil change at the dealer soon, and will talk to them about this. I hope there is a program update, or something that can aleviate this issue. I swapped from a Honda Civic, to this car because I was highly impressed with the ride, fit&finish, Sync, and the awesome Sony 10 speaker stereo. So I am REALLY hoping to get this resolved!!!
RFrench6646 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #1094
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dylan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100905
Location: Denver, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrench6646 View Post
I am new to this site, I found it in a google search under "2012 Ford Focus Transmission Shudder". I got mine a little over a month ago, It's an SEL, A/T. I noticed the shuddering right away, after receiving it. I now have 3000 miles (mostly highway, obviously). And still have a shudder when starting off from a red light, once it goes, it shifts fine. I have noted that it doesn't do it when the car is first started up. It seems to only happen after it has heated up to normal operating temp. I am going to schedule my first oil change at the dealer soon, and will talk to them about this. I hope there is a program update, or something that can aleviate this issue. I swapped from a Honda Civic, to this car because I was highly impressed with the ride, fit&finish, Sync, and the awesome Sony 10 speaker stereo. So I am REALLY hoping to get this resolved!!!
You have to understand that shuddering,rattling noises,and hesitation on pull aways are some of the negatives to the new transmission system they put in.You can have it checked, it would never hurt to do that ....but don't get too disappointed if they tell you it's normal. Most car companies are implementing these types of transmissions, the days of the tourque converter are over and so are the days of the smooth as glass automatic trannys. Here is the info you seek....go into the forum "Third generation focus" look for a thread entitled "DCT/Powershift Trans Update....TSB Thread" you just have to look for it. On that thread go to post #1316 by TimThom62. He has a link to the spec sheet that might be helpful to you.
Dylan1970 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #1095
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
JimsFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99994
Location: Plainfield, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Posts: 69
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've been told by two service managers and by a Ford Customer service rep that transmisson noises are never "normal", there is a problem. Have your car checked.
JimsFocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #1096
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dylan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100905
Location: Denver, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
I've been told by two service managers and by a Ford Customer service rep that transmisson noises are never "normal", there is a problem. Have your car checked.
As I said....check the post I referenced above, it is a fact sheet that tells all about the DCT and what to expect. I had my car at two different Ford dealerships and they both heard the shuddering noise and told me it was normal! Now, the noises and shuddering in my car has quieted down over the last week or so. I'm not saying that stuff shouldn't be checked but I also don't believe in going around scaring people unnecessarily either. There are some common sounds that people will hear with a DCT that doesn't mean a repair is needed, I would hate to tell someone to go spend a ton of money only to be told what they hear is normal. I think alot of people on here are losing their minds over something that none of us really know alot about. I think Ford should have done a better job in educating new buyers on the intricacies of these new DCT's, but they didn't and now this is the confusion that it causes. The other thing you need to realize is that this is NOT the transmission of the past....if I would've heard these noises in my 06 Focus I would've been scared. I've been told that some noise is not uncommon in a DCT, at least to a certain extent.
Dylan1970 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #1097
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
JimsFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99994
Location: Plainfield, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Posts: 69
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't consider reporting facts as scaring people. If you have not experienced some of the problems reported here, it might be difficult to understand people's frustration.

When my trans starts making noise, it doesn't shift right. It hesitates and then jerks into gear. Downshifting when trying to pass is slow and dangerous. The noise is loud enough at times that people walking turn and look at my car. Noise is one thing, but when perfomance is not up to par, or dangerous, that's another matter.

My brother travels a lot and has rented a 2012 Focus several times. He never heard a noise when shifting, even after he knew of my problem and was looking for the noise. I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of Focus' out there without problems, but there are some with problems.

As I said, two service managers told me I have a problem with my trans, and they also said Ford doesn't have a fix. I assume that is why I've been waiting 3 weeks for a loaner so I can have my car checked again.
JimsFocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #1098
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dylan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100905
Location: Denver, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
I don't consider reporting facts as scaring people. If you have not experienced some of the problems reported here, it might be difficult to understand people's frustration.

When my trans starts making noise, it doesn't shift right. It hesitates and then jerks into gear. Downshifting when trying to pass is slow and dangerous. The noise is loud enough at times that people walking turn and look at my car. Noise is one thing, but when perfomance is not up to par, or dangerous, that's another matter.

My brother travels a lot and has rented a 2012 Focus several times. He never heard a noise when shifting, even after he knew of my problem and was looking for the noise. I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of Focus' out there without problems, but there are some with problems.

As I said, two service managers told me I have a problem with my trans, and they also said Ford doesn't have a fix. I assume that is why I've been waiting 3 weeks for a loaner so I can have my car checked again.

I'm sorry if you're having problems...if your garage told you there is a problem then you are doing the right thing by having it checked. However, there are a bunch of people....including me who have heard noises, taken the car back to service and been told that those noises are a normal symptom of the transmission. The difference is when I was told by my service manager that the noise I was hearing was normal I believed it.....I didn't continue to rant and rave about it. Some people just can't ever be happy even when a professional tells them everything is okay. Those are the folks that I think are doing the "scaring" of people. Ford really dropped the ball here too, my salesman never told me anything about the new design, they really should educate their customers instead of leaving them in the dark.
Dylan1970 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #1099
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dylan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100905
Location: Denver, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
I'm sorry if you're having problems...if your garage told you there is a problem then you are doing the right thing by having it checked. However, there are a bunch of people....including me who have heard noises, taken the car back to service and been told that those noises are a normal symptom of the transmission. The difference is when I was told by my service manager that the noise I was hearing was normal I believed it.....I didn't continue to rant and rave about it. Some people just can't ever be happy even when a professional tells them everything is okay. Those are the folks that I think are doing the "scaring" of people. Ford really dropped the ball here too, my salesman never told me anything about the new design, they really should educate their customers instead of leaving them in the dark.

@JimsFocus....Personally, I think with a few exceptions....you being one of them most of the people on here are just experiencing the normal noises of a fully operational transmission. There is no secret that a DCT is not as quiet or as smooth as the old automatic, some cars may be quieter than others....some quiet down with time and mileage. Every case is different as is every car....hopefully mine is okay and hopefully you get your issues resolved as well.
Dylan1970 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #1100
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dylan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100905
Location: Denver, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks View Post
I'm curious about 2 things. I don't know a lot about how this auto tranny works but, I have never heard of needing to drive a new car 500-1,000 miles before it settles in, or acclimates to the way you drive. What happens if you share this car with your significant other, and they have a different driving style ?

Also, why don't the Ford dealers do these program updates b4 the customer takes delivery ?
Most dealers will tell you to vary your driving speed for the first 1000 miles, that is a typical break-in period. This is a new transmission run strictly by computer so basically your driving habits program the computer to you. Hey, it's the latest technology...nobody said it would be easy to understand.
Dylan1970 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.