My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 23 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #221
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Odd that Pennzoil would back away from the 100% group III formulation. It was their selling point for the "best cleaning" formulation they made, since petroleum base stocks hold contaminants in suspension better.

I will dig deeper on research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #222
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

I have found some of the answer, but I think I also found a mistype.

Here is a quote taken from a thread on BITOG about low NOACK for Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 SN

Quote:
This was their reply to my email asking about the noack and test.

----

Dear Colin,

Based on the data, yes, they are correct. As for the Noack test, it
is done at ASTD D5800 at 250C.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn
250*C is 482*F, beyond the flash and fire point of the lubricant. It would burn, no way they are testing NOACK at that temperature. Most likely, they are testing at 250*F. In that case, Amsoil tests at 302*C (150*C).

More tests comparing apples to oranges.

In the past six months, I have been told by those at Amsoil corporate that a new GTL (Gas To Liquid) process was about to be the new best base stock for a formulation. Let's wait and see who else jumps on the bandwagon with their best formulations.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #223
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Here is a UOA from a 2004 Lincoln Town Car. I used Amsoil ATM 10W-30 for the whole year, no oil changes. This sample has 10,350 miles on it.

Could have easily done more miles. Facepalm at the testers comments. DEE DEE DEE! The engine is a Ford 2V V8 modular and the oil is the new API SN. When are they going to update the specs from the older API SM? SLOW!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #224
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Odd that Pennzoil would back away from the 100% group III formulation. It was their selling point for the "best cleaning" formulation they made, since petroleum base stocks hold contaminants in suspension better.

I will dig deeper on research.
Someone posted this on BITOG.

Looks like GTL base stock having lower NOACK than PAO is not impossible.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #225
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I have found some of the answer, but I think I also found a mistype.

Here is a quote taken from a thread on BITOG about low NOACK for Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 SN

250*C is 482*F, beyond the flash and fire point of the lubricant. It would burn, no way they are testing NOACK at that temperature. Most likely, they are testing at 250*F. In that case, Amsoil tests at 302*C (150*C).

More tests comparing apples to oranges.

In the past six months, I have been told by those at Amsoil corporate that a new GTL (Gas To Liquid) process was about to be the new best base stock for a formulation. Let's wait and see who else jumps on the bandwagon with their best formulations.
Astm D5800 is a standard industry test using a flask heated to 250 degrees Centigrade. So Pennzoil, Amsoil, etc are held to the same standard. Pennzoil Ultra is, by most accounts, using considerable GTL base stocks. I'm not saying it is necessarily as good as or better than Amsoil, just that it's a really good oil for the price and may be a good solution for direct injected engines.

Incidentally, I sent an email to Pennzoil today asking about the PDS confusion and was quickly sent the SN version that shows volatility in the 5% range.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #226
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

If Ultra has been upgraded to the new group III+ GTL base stocks and tests about the same as PAO, engine lubrication is about to become very interesting. It was forecasted about GTL coming soon. Seems things are about to change.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #227
mikefocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 54763
What I Drive: 1909 model A

FF Reputation: 3 mikefocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Total oil capacity is now 7 quarts. That's a 2.5 quart gain.

Camera in phone sucks, but it's all I have.

Ignore the unpainted bracket, it's a one off hand made prototype. Will be making another one with a machine and painted for final finish.

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 Signature Series

How long did it take to install? Start to finish. Also on a scale from 1-10 what was the difficulty ?
1last thing did you run in to any problems worth mentioning? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #228
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocus View Post
How long did it take to install? Start to finish. Also on a scale from 1-10 what was the difficulty ?
1last thing did you run in to any problems worth mentioning? Thanks.
Install time is probably 2-4 hours depending on breaks.

I'd rank install difficulty around a 7. It's not for the novice, but doesn't require a pro. You want the proper tools to do it.

No problems were encountered at all. The hose and fittings are so high end, you'll be amazed. I check for leaks and oil level daily. The level remains consistent and filters so clear, the oil looks like water on the dipstick. It puts a smile on my face every time I check the oil level.

7 quarts of oil fills up the sump, both filters, and lines.

Parts list for the 2012 Focus.....

BMK23 - install instructions

BK295

EABP90

EaO34

Optional: Instead of a dual remote bypass filtration kit, you can use the single filter bypass setup. It's easier to install and requires less space.

BMK21
- install instructions

The inlet will tap into the oil pressure sensor mounting location, and the return line can be tapped into the oil fill cap. The single remote bypass kits allows the EaO34 full flow filter to remain in the factory location.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #229
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
I have 3 vehicles with between 150k and 200k miles. Have never changed with less than 5k and usually closer to 8k. All still running fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #230
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I will just comment that the very low NOACK is just a 'selling' note.
The one company which has a very low "XXX" makes it a big deal for folks who love to spout statistics to others about stuff which really does not mean shit.
Sorry but it is true.

So the 'golden wonder oil" has an ultralow NOACK, at 5/6% vs Mobil One with 11%. So.. has ANYONE ever seen all sorts of reports from Corvette owners (who start with Mobil One OEM) about how Mobil One screwed them due to the high NOACK??(( Mobil One DOES mention it's NOACK level if you search the fine print, and they comment it is 11% 12% range))

NO. Because it is a red herring. it may have SOME meaning, but no where near being as important as the 'super best motor oil in the world" freaks want it to be.

Just me ranting. Do not worry super oil freaks, I am CERTAIN your oil IS better..

I am only putting on about 5,000 miles total this years. 95% of that is city short freeway trips. So irregardless of mileage, i will change the oil at one year.
I had already changed it at 1,000 mi, and again at 2,000 due to nOT being able to get the OEM filter off at 1,000mi.
So probably in October i will change my oil (Mobil One 0-W20) and the OEM Motorcraft filter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->