DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 131 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #1301
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
If you are hearing rattling at your mileage, then I would probably see the dealer to get it documented. They will tell you to go and come back if it's still making the noise after 1k, but this will make sure that your documentation process starts.

As for the shifting, my car actually was quirky up to and a bit beyond the 1k mark, though I had the car reset a couple of times and I believe that is why the car took so long...but now it's like glass. Initially (and on very random occasions now) I had to drive the transmission more than the car.
What do you mean drive the transmission....is there something I'm not doing? Would you suggest that I hit the gas harder when I start from a dead stop.....maybe I'm being to gentle. Don't get me wrong the car has good acceleration and once it gets past the initial shift or two it's a thrill to drive. Highway driving is awesome, stop and go city traffic isn't very friendly to a DCT.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #1302
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,883, Level 66
Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Yes, I stand corrected. I was thinking that the Job 2 dates were in the beginning of April. I had just come across the date and thought 'Crap'.

The majority of what I said was correct. Sometimes I think that you have all of this information on a Rolodex that you keep with you at all times...
Nope, I just spent way too much time studying the order guide when I ordered mine, and probably too much time on this forum listening to people argue about the software update. Beating each other up because their cars didn't act the same, or just wishing they had a lousy torque converter. I didn't want a torque converter if I had to get an auto. They sap the life out of driving, and allow for the car to creep forward by design. Since its always multiplying engine torque at a loss through the fluid coupling inherent in the design.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #1303
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,675, Level 95
Points: 24,675, Level: 95 Points: 24,675, Level: 95 Points: 24,675, Level: 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
What do you mean drive the transmission....is there something I'm not doing? Would you suggest that I hit the gas harder when I start from a dead stop.....maybe I'm being to gentle. Don't get me wrong the car has good acceleration and once it gets past the initial shift or two it's a thrill to drive. Highway driving is awesome, stop and go city traffic isn't very friendly to a DCT.
No, I mean that I had to drive the transmission because it was acting retarded and didn't want to shift at (what I deemed) appropriate times. That slowly but surely went away as I put it into more and different driving conditions.

I ran mine through every different scenario I could think of- light pedal, hard pedal, D, S, S+, low rpm shifts, redline shifts...

That was (generally) the advise of the DCT owners who were having positive results at the time and I found that, at least for me, it also worked.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #1304
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I mean that I had to drive the transmission because it was acting retarded and didn't want to shift at (what I deemed) appropriate times. That slowly but surely went away as I put it into more and different driving conditions.

I ran mine through every different scenario I could think of- light pedal, hard pedal, D, S, S+, low rpm shifts, redline shifts...

That was (generally) the advise of the DCT owners who were having positive results at the time and I found that, at least for me, it also worked.
Okay, well I don't have the selectshift model but I was thinking about having the car reset and just stop experimenting and drive the way I'm comfortable so it learns my driving style. Maybe I'm doing too much experimenting or I'm just really anal and have to just turn the radio up and stop listening for every noise.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #1305
dyn085
That Guy

Points 24,675, Level 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Quote:
Okay, well I don't have the selectshift model but I was thinking about having the car reset and just stop experimenting and drive the way I'm comfortable so it learns my driving style. Maybe I'm doing too much experimenting or I'm just really anal and have to just turn the radio up and stop listening for every noise.
I have no choice but to turn my radio up, it sounds like I'm going to lose my whole front end...
2014 FiST-
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #1306
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I have no choice but to turn my radio up, it sounds like I'm going to lose my whole front end...
I guess people on the street hear it too? If they can it can't be a good selling point for Ford. Come buy a Focus for $20,000 and get a rattling tranny.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #1307
dyn085
That Guy

Points 24,675, Level 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Quote:
I guess people on the street hear it too? If they can it can't be a good selling point for Ford. Come buy a Focus for $20,000 and get a rattling tranny.
I actually have a quiet xmsn. I also have the front end clunk. A whole other thread, but when going over certain bumps and surface changes it sounds like my whole front end will just collapse out from under me...

I'm supposed to bring it in next week so that the dealership can determine whether they are going to fix it under warranty (Eibach Pro springs installed) or not. Eh. Maybe I'll have my DRL's activated...

So, um, yeah, TSB.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #1308
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
I'd imagine that it's not news around here, but a lot of the newer folks might not have seen this:

Ford Tech Service Notes on DCT
Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #1309
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Quote:
I don't remember the exact date, but I'm pretty sure that you have a Job 2 car, in which the firmware was already incorporated into the car pre-delivery. The FSA only applied to Job 1 cars (of which I fall into).

Don't let the nay-sayers scare you about the DCT. Yes, it wasn't overly great on the initial fleet of cars. Yes, people have had problems. Yes, some people do (or still think they do) have a couple issues. But trust me, this thread has died down a LOT in the last month or so. Both of my buddies with Job 2 cars love it.

AFTER I FIRMLY DROVE MY CAR THE RECOMMENDED 1000 MILES in a manner recommended by other forum members here, my DCT is a dream. There are a couple things I wouldn't mind tweaked, and yes there are a couple of little hiccups, but overall it is awesome!

I had to bold the statement because a lot of the people who were overly arguing this FSA have seemed to have disappeared. While some of them may have been traded-in, I would imagine that many of them tried the advise on here and just didn't come back to update their results.
AWESOME!! And thanks for the quick reply too!! I'm really glad to hear that I shouldn't have anything too crazy to worry about. I mean, I know that every car is different, so issues will arise based on a great deal of variables for each vehicle. Like I said before, I've had no issues so far, and I hope to keep it that way. :-)
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #1310
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Quote:

Good to know too! I vary my driving based on my mood, so I tend to switch things up quite often. I only have a 20 minute commute to work, so I usually just leave it in "Sport mode," and switch to "Manual mode" around the twisties. The only time I really use "Drive" is on the highway, so I'd say that I've covered everything in that respect. I also, intermingle some hard acceleration, down shifting, and overall "fun" into my day-to-day driving, so I hope that this combination will help to properly break in my DCT.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.