My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #171
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
That looks really good! Dare I say even professional...

Did I say that this install looks really good...?
Thank you, I have been working on cars for 15+ years installing custom everything. I've learned a trick or two. From professional car audio and security to accessories and performance/power upgrades, I've done it.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why did you choose that location? It would seem to me that oil traveling over the exhaust manifold would get a bit of heat transfer, though the overall amount of extra line may negate that...
The heat shield over the exhaust manifold will detour most of the heat. The primary full flow filter is 1/2" larger diameter and taller than the stock oil filter (exact same threads). The next filter I put there will be the standard diameter for extra clearance between the filter and the manifold. No problems should arise with the current filter, just added security.

The larger bypass filter has all the room it requires. No issues unscrewing them for replacement.

Quote:
Also, is the intent to be able to remove the mount for oil changes? It would seem that it would be difficult to get a catch under that location. I didn't look in my bay, just at your pics.
I have no intentions on removing the mount to change both filters. I placed it in a location that would allow proper clearance to replace them both. I will take tin foil and cover anything underneath the filters to "guide" oil run off into the catch pan.

Quote:
Final question- Are you going to determine your OCI based on the oil analysis in regards to both the filters and the oil?
Correct, the oil will be change no more than once a year, possibly longer if the UOA allows for it. The full flow filter will be replaced every oil change. The bypass filter will be changed ever other full flow filter change (every other oil change).

There is a guy with a Honda S2000 that only changes his oil/filters every 40,000 miles with Amsoil Signature Series. It's insane what you can do with this setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #172
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Honestly, I can't seem to say that there are many people on here that have been so thorough in thought process, design, implementation, testing and documentation. While most of us are general population types of people with general experience/knowledge, it pays to pay attention for those whom have direct expertise in a situation/system.

FWIW, I'm highly impressed and will be following this to see your results. I'll be following my own OCI out of habit and easy math, but I could foresee a possible change within the coming years...+1 rep

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #173
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
There is ONE negative of having a bypass filter system installed......

The oil is so darn clean, you can barely see it on the dipstick.
Really neat set up you have there. Very clean install. I can't say that I'm as excited about oil as you, but it's still cool to see something like this.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #174
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=UnleashedBeast;4243149]Total oil capacity is now 7 quarts. That's a 2.5 quart gain.

Camera in phone sucks, but it's all I have.

Ignore the unpainted bracket, it's a one off hand made prototype. Will be making another one with a machine and painted for final finish.

--- SNIP ---

Wow, that is pretty trick! Hope it doesn't cause problems with your warranty.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #175
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So.... this bypass stuff, anyone tried it on first gen focus?

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #176
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
UnleashedBeast- Great Install! I am curious what your results will be on your Oil Analysis. Did you use the oil filter that Amsoil has for the Focus or did you get a bigger one? I am getting ready to change my oil this weekend, it has Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-20 in it now, so I am thinking about getting a Oil Analysis done on it. I came real close to getting a By-Pass Kit from Amsoil when I bought my case of oil, but I haven't crawled under my Focus engine bay yet. I am gonna look around when I change my oil this weekend to see where I can put a By-Pass kit.

Did you have to make your own hoses or did they come with the kit from Amsoil?

Do you have an estimate you think the Focus can go on a oil change with this kit? I'm thinking 25,000-30,000 miles. The 2.0 GDI engine in our Foci don't seem like they would be a dirty engine. Getting 40,000 miles on a oil change would be pretty epic

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #177
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
I went 5000 hard miles on mobile 1 synth and changed it.. I have never seen such black oil come out of a new car. It even smelt burnt... If you drive the car hard 0w20 will not be 0w20 for very long lol.

Mind you i go 5+ on my corvette and turbo focus with 5w40 and it looks fresh when it comes out.. And I absolutely abuse both my turbo focus and corvette (I mean ABUSE).

I in my life have never seen such black oil come from 5000 miles... it was like a semi truck with 20000 miles on its last change...
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #178
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
I got nasty oil like that our of my mustang that I drove hard, funny that engine only lasted 70k.
How hard is that bypass kit to install and what am I looking at as far as price? I want one for both my cars.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #179
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
At some point I will need to change my oil, any opinions on what oil I should use and how many miles I should go between oil changes? Oh, I almost forgot, what filter should I use?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #180
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Update:

Took the Focus on a 140 mile drive through the city and highway today testing for leaks, durability, or any signs of trouble. None were found and everything is working as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
UnleashedBeast- Great Install! I am curious what your results will be on your Oil Analysis. Did you use the oil filter that Amsoil has for the Focus or did you get a bigger one? I am getting ready to change my oil this weekend, it has Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-20 in it now, so I am thinking about getting a Oil Analysis done on it. I came real close to getting a By-Pass Kit from Amsoil when I bought my case of oil, but I haven't crawled under my Focus engine bay yet. I am gonna look around when I change my oil this weekend to see where I can put a By-Pass kit.

Did you have to make your own hoses or did they come with the kit from Amsoil?

Do you have an estimate you think the Focus can go on a oil change with this kit? I'm thinking 25,000-30,000 miles. The 2.0 GDI engine in our Foci don't seem like they would be a dirty engine. Getting 40,000 miles on a oil change would be pretty epic
The standard Amsoil filter for the Focus is the Ea15k51. However, I chose to use the longer version for more capacity. There are two alternate filters with the same 3/4"-16 threads.

The EaO34 - same diameter as the OEM oil filter, but longer for ~1/2 quart more oil capacity. Will allow you to increase your engine to a 5 quart sump with this one simple filter swap in the stock location.

The EaO15 - 1/2" larger diameter and longer than the OEM filter. This is the largest filter you will fit on the bypass system when installing it on a 2012 Focus. This filter will NOT fit in the stock location.

I will be creating a separate UOA thread to compare everyone's oil analysis reports to see what lubricants are doing a better job. Stay tuned for this very soon.

The Amsoil bypass kit includes 12' of hose. That was barely enough to install the bypass kit in the upper rear engine bay and make it to the OEM filter location. I had about 6" per side of hose remaining.

I estimate this kit allowing me to make easy oil changes in the 15,000 to 25,000 range, or one year...whichever occur first. However, since the oil is being "super cleaned", the one year interval may not be an issue. I may extended oil changed to every 18 months, assuming the UOA's come back good. I normally don't drive more than 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. Since this is currently my only car, it will be daily driven with no alternate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
I went 5000 hard miles on mobile 1 synth and changed it.. I have never seen such black oil come out of a new car. It even smelt burnt... If you drive the car hard 0w20 will not be 0w20 for very long lol.

I in my life have never seen such black oil come from 5000 miles... it was like a semi truck with 20000 miles on its last change...
With a bypass filter kit, after that many miles.....you would still be hard pressed to read the oil on the dipstick. It's so clear, you'd swear it was just changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
How hard is that bypass kit to install and what am I looking at as far as price? I want one for both my cars.
Not difficult for those who have access to a LOT of tools and mechanically inclined. This isn't for novice installers, but also doesn't require a pro to get it done. Simply follow the detailed instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_HT View Post
So.... this bypass stuff, anyone tried it on first gen focus?
This is a "universal" kit, BMK23, so it will work on any engine. They also have single bypass kits that does not relocate the full flow filter from the OEM location. This is a plus for small vehicles with limited room. The Focus falls into that category, and I will be honest. The location I put it in wasn't my first choice, but it was the only area that would accept the kit with enough room to route hoses and remove the filters with little efforts.

Install instructions

The single bypass kit may be a better choice for this car. The bypass filter would feed from the tap where the oil pressure sensor feeds from, and the return line would be a custom oil cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Wow, that is pretty trick! Hope it doesn't cause problems with your warranty.
If there were a failure with the kit that caused oil starvation issues, it would be covered by Amsoil's warranty, assuming installation was performed correctly. I've seen these kits still working on vehicles with perfect engines, but the rest of the vehicle was so worn out, it was retired anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Really neat set up you have there. Very clean install. I can't say that I'm as excited about oil as you, but it's still cool to see something like this.
I've had this mad habit since 2004. Just can't stop studying engine lubricants.

Quote:
FWIW, I'm highly impressed and will be following this to see your results. I'll be following my own OCI out of habit and easy math, but I could foresee a possible change within the coming years...+1 rep
Thanks for your kinds thoughts. Keep a close eye on the upcoming dedicated UOA thread in the 3rd generation section. It's time to see what oils perform, which ones are over priced for the performance you get, and which ones give you your monies worth.

Bookmarks & Social Networks