My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
That looks really good! Dare I say even professional...

Did I say that this install looks really good...?
Thank you, I have been working on cars for 15+ years installing custom everything. I've learned a trick or two. From professional car audio and security to accessories and performance/power upgrades, I've done it.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why did you choose that location? It would seem to me that oil traveling over the exhaust manifold would get a bit of heat transfer, though the overall amount of extra line may negate that...
The heat shield over the exhaust manifold will detour most of the heat. The primary full flow filter is 1/2" larger diameter and taller than the stock oil filter (exact same threads). The next filter I put there will be the standard diameter for extra clearance between the filter and the manifold. No problems should arise with the current filter, just added security.

The larger bypass filter has all the room it requires. No issues unscrewing them for replacement.

Quote:
Also, is the intent to be able to remove the mount for oil changes? It would seem that it would be difficult to get a catch under that location. I didn't look in my bay, just at your pics.
I have no intentions on removing the mount to change both filters. I placed it in a location that would allow proper clearance to replace them both. I will take tin foil and cover anything underneath the filters to "guide" oil run off into the catch pan.

Quote:
Final question- Are you going to determine your OCI based on the oil analysis in regards to both the filters and the oil?
Correct, the oil will be change no more than once a year, possibly longer if the UOA allows for it. The full flow filter will be replaced every oil change. The bypass filter will be changed ever other full flow filter change (every other oil change).

There is a guy with a Honda S2000 that only changes his oil/filters every 40,000 miles with Amsoil Signature Series. It's insane what you can do with this setup.

Bookmarks & Social Networks