My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #111
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Did you just use "WalMart" and "reputable" in the same sentence?

I think my eyes are bleeding
Hilarious. I often see specialty products released and in many cases do have superior performance to the current off-the-shelf competition and the decision is made NOT distribute through major sources so that all the profits can be maintained by the creator. Sounds reasonable...except:

What I do have a problem with is that it is not put out in to the market where competitive forces drive the price to something reasonable. Like, not 50-200% higher than similar products. While I certainly don't know their production cost, I suspect they are not double or triple. I could be wrong but the exclusive MLM marketing channel just has a very bad smell to it for me. So, I'm less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. MonaVie is another example that comes to mind. $40 for a bottle of juice that you can get at Costco for $10.

On the original subject. Do the companies that do analysis give figures on the amount of contamination? I find it unlikely that there would be much viscosity breakdown in 3000 or even 5000 miles but I often wonder how much contamination (small abrasives) are in there. I get concerned when the color goes dark but that is not very scientific.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #112
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Did you just use "WalMart" and "reputable" in the same sentence?

I think my eyes are bleeding
As bad as my statement looks on screen, it's true. So many people have said, if it was sold at Wal Mart or auto parts stores, I'd take it more seriously. They seriously discredit Amsoil because it's sold through a MLM network, not retail in stores. There are retail accounts setup around the US and Canada, but you will rarely find it at big outlets.

Funny thing is, I can name so many snake oil engine products that are sold in retail stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
What I do have a problem with is that it is not put out in to the market where competitive forces drive the price to something reasonable. Like, not 50-200% higher than similar products. While I certainly don't know their production cost, I suspect they are not double or triple. I could be wrong but the exclusive MLM marketing channel just has a very bad smell to it for me. So, I'm less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. MonaVie is another example that comes to mind. $40 for a bottle of juice that you can get at Costco for $10.
In Amsoil's case, becoming a preferred customer gets you pricing that beats Wal Mart.

Example, Pennzoil Ultra is 100% hydrocracked petroleum. Sells for over $7.00 a quart.

OE is also 100% hydrocracked petroleum. PC's can buy it for $4.70 a quart.

You pay what it's actually worth. It's the big oil companies that are charging more for an inferior base stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
On the original subject. Do the companies that do analysis give figures on the amount of contamination? I find it unlikely that there would be much viscosity breakdown in 3000 or even 5000 miles but I often wonder how much contamination (small abrasives) are in there. I get concerned when the color goes dark but that is not very scientific.
Yes, Amsoil's OAI (Polaris labs) can do an in depth ppm particle count to see what's in the oil.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #113
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,152, Level 41
Points: 4,152, Level: 41 Points: 4,152, Level: 41 Points: 4,152, Level: 41
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I think Amsoil is a great product but I don't think it's so much better that I would give up the availability and convenience of just using M1 or another synthetic that I can get anywhere. I do buy my M1 at Wally-world since the price is hard to beat for the 5qt jug but sometimes costco sells a case for a real good price.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #114
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,664, Level 95
Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95 Points: 24,664, Level: 95
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
We are in a Walmart generation; if it isn't sold at Walmart, people think they are over-paying.
2014 FiST-
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #115
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I think Amsoil is a great product but I don't think it's so much better that I would give up the availability and convenience of just using M1 or another synthetic that I can get anywhere. I do buy my M1 at Wally-world since the price is hard to beat for the 5qt jug but sometimes costco sells a case for a real good price.
When you buy the 5.1 container, make sure it's 5W-20 Extended Performance. For only 5 dollars more, you are getting a superior product in comparison to regular Mobil 1.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #116
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,152, Level 41
Points: 4,152, Level: 41 Points: 4,152, Level: 41 Points: 4,152, Level: 41
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
How much better? My 4Runner only sees about 4-5000 miles a year so it's changed about every 11 months so I'm not sure I'd see the benefits.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #117
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post

Yes, Amsoil's OAI (Polaris labs) can do an in depth ppm particle count to see what's in the oil.
Thanks for the info and other info you have posted here. I will probably have that done a coupe times after 5 and 7000 mile runs since as I said, I am most concerned about contaminants. I don't run the car hard enough, often enough to break down the oil.

Quote:
In Amsoil's case, becoming a preferred customer gets you pricing that beats Wal Mart.

Example, Pennzoil Ultra is 100% hydrocracked petroleum. Sells for over $7.00 a quart.

OE is also 100% hydrocracked petroleum. PC's can buy it for $4.70 a quart.

You pay what it's actually worth. It's the big oil companies that are charging more for an inferior base stock.
Ok, here is where you are going Sneaky-Pete on me. If you are going to compare prices you have to do it realistically. You didn't include the cost of the preferred customer member ship in your pricing. Also, most everyone buys the 5 gallon jug at Wally World:

M1 for $26.48 = $5.30 /qt (no shipping and only .53 gas since WM is 2 miles from me)

M1 EP $28.97 = $5.79 /qt

Amsoil OE is $6.70 /qt at after adding the $10 membership (plus there is shipping)

Amsoil Signature - 5 qt =$50 +$10 membership -$10 discount = $10 /qt (not including shipping)

I 'am' convinced that the Amsoil is better but I'm only going to pay 'so much' more for it.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #118
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

If you are buying for only one car, you have to buy Signature Series and perform once a year oil changes to make it worth it. That's the only way to save money with a single vehicle. 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
How much better? My 4Runner only sees about 4-5000 miles a year so it's changed about every 11 months so I'm not sure I'd see the benefits.
If Mobil 1 hasn't diluted their formulation with VISOM hydrocracked petroleum, you should see an efficiency gain, engine temp reduction, and oil pressure improvements.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #119
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Funny thing is, I can name so many engine products that are snake oil and are sold in retail stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
We are in a Walmart generation; if it isn't sold at Walmart, people think they are over-paying.
Both QFT! I'm all for saving money, but WalMart availability is not a seal of approval in my book. Maybe the sheeple out there think that way, but not me.

Here is why I no longer use M1. I used to have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5speed that I bought new. 250hp/253tq at the wheels on a Mustang dyno(baseline on same dyno was 190ish on hp/tq). After bumping the power up like that, and knowing the Subaru propensity for eating turbo's due to clogging banjo bolt oil screens, I decided to try synthetics. I filled with M1. 3000 miles later, down a quart. Huh? That's funny, she never used oil before Topped her off, then changed at 5K. Same thing next time. WTF? Compression and leakdown, good. Topped off and changed to Redline at next fill. No losses whatsoever between OCI's. Tried Amsoil, same results as the Redline, but smoother running(on my supremely calibrated butt dyno).

So, somehow I lost M1 when I never lost a drop of the dino or the two better grade synthetics.

I sold the LGT and bought a 2002 Z06. It came with M1 from the factory. Ok, I'll keep it in there, it's what GM gave it. 3000 miles, down a quart. F this, back to Amsoil for the rest of the time I owned the car. No oil usage after changing away from the M1. Right after I bought the Z06, but before I switched out of the M1, I met a Mobil rep at Mid-Ohio in the Corvette Corral for the ALMS race. I related my M1 Subaru experience to him, and he took my info and said he would have engineering get back to me. Still waiting, M1 guy! Amsoil I can call and talk to Tech if I really wanted to. I also can talk to many Corvette club racers who have thousands of track miles on Amsoil over on CF, and now of course, UB

Sold the Z06 the day before my Focus was delivered. I don't think I'll be experimenting with M1 again.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #120
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

I remember the issue with the screen in Scoobies clogging up and starving the turbo. The OEM rolled back to a 3,750 OCI to "solve" the issue. Fail Subbie!

I recall a high end performance Evolution shop that had failures with their turbos using regular Mobil 1 due to low levels of ZDDP. I'm trying to find their article about it, but still looking.

Edit: found it

FP Turbo failures

Summary, Mobil 1 may be fine for your grocery getter, but it fails under heavy demand.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.