Paint quality problems? - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #61
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
New to the forum but not too cars. I buy one just about every 12-18 months. Just traded in a E63 AMG that stickered for nearly $100k, had a clear bra, and guess what it also had a fair number of chips. I learned long ago not to flip out about every single little chip. I started using http://drcolorchip.com/ about 5 years ago and this stuff solves just about any problem you are worried about for less than $60. The kit will last you a few years.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #62
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbswimmer99 View Post
...My car has an exceedingly large number of scratches and chips around the hood and the lift gate of my hatch...I tried to take my concerns to Ford, and they won't acknowledge a problem or offer warranty assistance. Did you take your concerns to Ford? Did they do anything?
wfbswimmer99 -

Seems like you may be driving on the highway a lot; maybe even on roads with small rocks. Scratches and chips in a new ride are not cool! Please PM me your VIN and I'll review this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDandthegirls View Post
I had 3 small chips on my hood with 245 miles on the odometer just from the trip home from buying her in Houston. Found a big paint chip by the taillight just like everyone else is finding...Over all I like the car alot, so I will just roll with the punchs and get the hood repainted in a few years...
BigDandthegirls -

Wow, the trip home must be a doozy! How far do you live from Houston? I've just heard about the paint chip by the Focus taillight. I'll see if this can be looked into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan View Post
I've been noticing that mine seems to be chipping and the paint seems more prone to scratches than my previous cars (I have a Tuxedo Black Ti) and have seen a few more chips/scuffs than expected, and on my passenger door sill there a bit of a bump from where it looks like something was painted over.
CDNFocusFan -

Paint chips this early are a huge bummer! Where are you driving it mostly? If you haven't done so, please PM your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer to me. I'll analyze this and forward it to your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
For those overly concerned with paint chips....

Buy one. You'll be happier. For those of us living in the real world, I'm more concerned with shopping cart dings.
RedComet -

You want people to buy a clear bubble balloon? Maybe it's a cover for the Focus. Either way, this is a great suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
I've talked to several detailers ... there's no avoiding stone chips and the like if you drive regularly on the highway.

REV
revhigh -

Yep, it'll always happen. The thought of it depresses me because I'm mostly on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
I think that it just has to do with the angle of the hood. I am think on installing the hood deflector, even though it does not look great.
DEREKC -

Not sure if it's the angle of the hood. I think the deflector looks hot and I'd scoop this bad boy up in a second: http://Accessories.Ford.com/styled-h...moke-9554.html!

If any owners have unexplained issues with the exterior paint, please shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer. I'll record this info and send it to the CSM in your region.

Thanks,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 06-22-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added closing
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #63
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

Points 13,654, Level 76
Points: 13,654, Level: 76 Points: 13,654, Level: 76 Points: 13,654, Level: 76
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcook View Post
My car is race red. I think the paint job is excellent. I've found no orange peel and no chips after 6500 miles.
I also have the race red and after 28k miles the paint looks spectacular, I get compliments all the time on it
Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #64
ZESTAR
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100500
What I Drive: 2001 Siver Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ZESTAR Good Standing Member
Lightbulb Paint Durability Testing - Ford Paint Problems

Paint issues do arise with many vehicles nowadays.

There have been newscasts and reports within the past several years on consumer complaints with paint finishes.

Search the internet and you will find a September 2011 newscast
from NBC Chicago titled: Car Owners Upset About Bad Paint Jobs.

There is also a facebook site (Ford-Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints) in which owners have been sharing paint issues on all models.

Ford does conduct durability measurements on their vehicles within the factory.

If anyone is having paint problems, they should request the data from Ford to review it with the dealership.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #65
picus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100413
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 2 picus Good Standing Member
It's probably been hashed and re-hashed but just my 2c. I have worked in the automotive re-conditioning industry for 14 years. Paint now is much more delicate that it was because VOC laws have forced manufacturers to use water borne paint systems. Aside from Merc/Lambo/Ferrari (who all use ceramic clears), every other manufacturer uses a water based system. Some are thicker overall than others, but stone chips are the way of the game on all makes.

I am lucky enough to work with a guy who does clear film installs, he wrapped my entire front end (entire hood, fenders, bumper, lights...not partial); imo this is the only effective way to mitigate chips if you do any high way driving. The downside is it requires some extra care (bugs/bird bombs can etch), but if you care enough to do it odds are you care enough to maintain it. The other downside is cost, since a full front end can run in the ~$1500 range. The upside is less (in some cases no) chips, higher re-sale (although it likely won't outweigh initial cost), and some peace of mind when driving.

The film industry has come far enough that a good install is almost completely invisible, no seams, no texture change, etc...

Some bullet points.

- AFAIK, Fords clear is water based. I will check. FWIW, all most manufacturers are water based clears now.
- Orange Peel is not limited to Ford, it's a product of the paint being a semi solid now (less particulate), it lands on the panel and sags. The only way to remove is to sand/compound, but there are very few production cars that have this done from the factory. Bentley, RR, Bugatti, Lexus LS460H, Aston are the only ones I can think of. Even Ferrari/Lambo aren't sanded flat any more (they are sanded, but only to reduce major OP).
Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #66
BigDandthegirls
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Hatch SE 5speed

FF Reputation: 2 BigDandthegirls Good Standing Member
@Thomas/Ford Service- I live about 3 1/2 hours from where I bought my focus. I have to tell you, I'm finding more and more paint flaws as I wash my car. I found a chip on my driverside pass. door where there is no way a rock or door could have hit it. Also I found a paint bubble on my pass. door. Like it had something on the door right before paint at the factory and it got painted over. Really it looks like what happens when you paint over rust truthfully. I will have my local dealer look at it when i go for my first oil change in a month or so. I like the car and paint color alot, but ford kinda dropped the ball on paint quality this go around. Thanks for asking.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #67
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey everyone -

If you're experiencing any paint chipping issues, please shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone #, servicing dealer, and a brief description. I'll forward this to your region's Customer Service Manager for review.

Thanks,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #68
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
It's probably been hashed and re-hashed but just my 2c. I have worked in the automotive re-conditioning industry for 14 years. Paint now is much more delicate that it was because VOC laws have forced manufacturers to use water borne paint systems. Aside from Merc/Lambo/Ferrari (who all use ceramic clears), every other manufacturer uses a water based system. Some are thicker overall than others, but stone chips are the way of the game on all makes.

I am lucky enough to work with a guy who does clear film installs, he wrapped my entire front end (entire hood, fenders, bumper, lights...not partial); imo this is the only effective way to mitigate chips if you do any high way driving. The downside is it requires some extra care (bugs/bird bombs can etch), but if you care enough to do it odds are you care enough to maintain it. The other downside is cost, since a full front end can run in the ~$1500 range. The upside is less (in some cases no) chips, higher re-sale (although it likely won't outweigh initial cost), and some peace of mind when driving.

The film industry has come far enough that a good install is almost completely invisible, no seams, no texture change, etc...

Some bullet points.

- AFAIK, Fords clear is water based. I will check. FWIW, all most manufacturers are water based clears now.
- Orange Peel is not limited to Ford, it's a product of the paint being a semi solid now (less particulate), it lands on the panel and sags. The only way to remove is to sand/compound, but there are very few production cars that have this done from the factory. Bentley, RR, Bugatti, Lexus LS460H, Aston are the only ones I can think of. Even Ferrari/Lambo aren't sanded flat any more (they are sanded, but only to reduce major OP).
This genteman knows more than 90% of other people. I'd suggest listening to him.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #69
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

Points 2,036, Level 27
Points: 2,036, Level: 27 Points: 2,036, Level: 27 Points: 2,036, Level: 27
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
I responded with a PM because I do feel my car has an unusual amount of chips and "dings" on the front, especially along the lower front bumper area.

To my (pleasant) surprise, I received a very quick call from a Ford rep encouraging me to schedule an appointment with my local dealer.

However, I'm not exactly sure what to expect if I bring this up with my service dept. I would have just assumed they would say that it's part of normal wear and tear and there's nothing they can do about it. Should I expect the fix (if there is one) to be covered under warranty?

Just looking for some insight as I've never addressed this type of problem before.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #70
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
I responded with a PM because I do feel my car has an unusual amount of chips and "dings" on the front, especially along the lower front bumper area.

To my (pleasant) surprise, I received a very quick call from a Ford rep encouraging me to schedule an appointment with my local dealer.

However, I'm not exactly sure what to expect if I bring this up with my service dept. I would have just assumed they would say that it's part of normal wear and tear and there's nothing they can do about it. Should I expect the fix (if there is one) to be covered under warranty?

Just looking for some insight as I've never addressed this type of problem before.
Fit and finish is covered under the 3/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty. It can also be included in the ESP's offered by Ford. I always schedule a service visit @35K miles for my cars that are still under warranty.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.