TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 45 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #441
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,351
Points 3,148, Level 34
Points: 3,148, Level: 34 Points: 3,148, Level: 34 Points: 3,148, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfocus View Post
I just read this, as my 2012 has decided to not work very well, after this FSA. I get the hesitation, etc,it gets worse as the air temperature increase. It's actually worse than when the car was brand new. I am going to ask my dealer if I can just go back and have it reprogrammed to the previous TSB. Last night, the hesitation on acceleration was so bad, it felt like had a case of whiplash........
Hey fatfocus -

I received your PM and sent a reply to you. Please send me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll forward this to your region's Customer Service Manager for review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I would take it into the dealership and have them perform the TSB again and see if that helps. They might have not performed it right the first time.
craigsfocus -

Taking it to the dealer will always be the best choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneraven9 View Post
Took the car in to have the wiper recall performed (the seal WAS missing) and to have FSA 12B37 carried out to fix some problems I was having...

As well, is there no adaptive leaning procedure to be carried out as part of the update by the technician after this "recall"? Or is the vehicle just supposed to learn over the next 1K KM as I drive around?...
Stoneraven9 -

The dealer will advise you on the adaptive learning procedure when you pick it up. If you'd like, drop me a line with your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; Iíll loop in your regionís Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
Not I. My Focus now behaves like it should and is making me smile again. Accelerations are crisp when I feel a bit sporty and smooth when I feel like gran'pa. The hill assist feature as been improved and is more effective, in my case. All in all, for me, it's a deffinite improvement...
Hey Kaaru -

Since it's behaving well, are you planning on taking it out for a nice night on the town? This would be an excellent sign of approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Ziffel View Post
Hello Everyone! i have been a long time lurker here...We never had any of the issues with the DCT that i read about here. the car was perfect and fun to drive. we received the letter in may for the update...We took the car to the dealer to have a loose mud flap fixed and they did the update.

...Well 1000 miles later my wife wants her old car back. the car now hesitates/bogs down. When you are driving along and give it a little more gas it hesitates and makes a throaty sound then finally (couple of seconds) accelerates and or downshifts. the noise sounds like a fully opened carburetor starving for gas. We never had any roll back issues. Now when you put the car in park and shut it off about 5 seconds later it rolls back about 6 inches. then when you start the car back up it shakes and makes a funny noise for a few seconds...
Arnold Ziffel -

Welcome to the conversation! Have you seen the dealer about looking into these issues some more? I'd like to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager in your region. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll get it started.

If anyone is still experiencing issues with the transmission since the 12B37 update, please PM me and include the same info; Iíll forward this to your CSM too.

Have a good day all,

Thomas
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #442
Strix
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85696
Location: Northville, MI
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Posts: 581
Points 528, Level 10
Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Ziffel View Post
Hello Everyone! i have been a long time lurker here and used lots of great info from this site when ordering my wife a new focus. we ordered the car in Feb. it had a build date of 03-15-2012 we picked it up on March 28th. the car was great and my wife loved it. we never had any of the issues with the DCT that i read about here. the car was perfect and fun to drive. we received the letter in may for the update for the DCT and i was afraid to have it done. we took the car to the dealer to have a loose mud flap fixed and they did the update.

The car seemed fine. Well 1000 miles later my wife wants her old car back. the car now hesitates/bogs down. When you are driving along and give it a little more gas it hesitates and makes a throaty sound then finally (couple of seconds) accelerates and or downshifts. the noise sounds like a fully opened carburetor starving for gas. We never had any roll back issues. Now when you put the car in park and shut it off about 5 seconds later it rolls back about 6 inches. then when you start the car back up it shakes and makes a funny noise for a few seconds. Wondering if it is some type of pressure put on the tranny from rolling back. I asked the Dealer if the could put it back to the settings it came from the factory with. They said they cant go back. Of course they can, clear it out and set it to the parameters from the last TSB.
I am going to have the dealer do the update again to see if maybe it was done wrong.

Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues after the last TSB on the DCT.

Sorry for the long rambling. Just fustrated.
It's been a while since I posted here, but I feel the need to ramble as well. I too, am quite frustrated.

I was happy with the way my DCT operated when I bought the car last year.

I even told my service advisor that I did not see what people were complaining about. I told her that I understood how it worked, and that certain behaviors were expected and that I was perfectly happy with it.

But I took the car in for a squeaking noise that turned out to be a dead leaf stuck in the AC compressor clutch, and while it was there, they flashed my transmission. Without asking. And after I told her that I was happy with it the way it was. (This was the first update, late last year.)

My car has never been the same, exhibiting many of the same symptoms you describe. The most annoying thing has to be that throaty bogging noise it makes instead of taking off.

It used to engage the clutch much like a manual transmission, with full engagement right off the line... now it seems like it's trying to be as smooth as possible, at the expense of performance. Instead of taking off, it makes throaty burbling noises while it slips the clutch to make sure you don't get a 'harsh' sensation, you know... like a clutch engaging.

It used to shift very quickly between gears, almost imperceptibly. It worked the way that a dual clutch transmission should: with continuous power delivery.

Now there is a noticeable gap in power delivery, especially on the 1-2 shift, but also on the 2-3. It is exactly the same sensation as a manual transmission... the clutch disengages and the throttle closes, the tranny is shifted, then the clutch re-engages as the throttle opens back up. It's still pretty smooth, but it used to feel more like the throttle was never closing, and one clutch was engaging as the other was releasing. Like how a DCT is supposed to work!!

I also noticed a small amount of shift flare after the first update, and it's still there after the second update. The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are slightly improved, but are still utterly terrible compared to the way it worked when it left the factory. Clutch engagement on upshifts is a bit laggy, too... all in the name of 'smoothness' I guess.

It seems to me like Ford is trying to make the DCT seem more like a traditional torque convertor based slushbox to appease the whiny crybaby so-and-sos who weren't happy with it. Making people who were happy unhappy in the process.

I was never bothered by the roll-back. Or the 'harsh' shifts. Or the lack of 'creep'. Or the performance in stop-and-go traffic.

But now Ford has kowtowed to a bunch of whiners and ruined MY DCT to please them. And there's no going back. They can't/won't put it back the way it was when it was new.

And now it does something newly annoying... the hill start assist is so aggressive that it engages on extremely slight grades... and it's so stupid that it doesn't disengage automatically when 'park' is selected. I'm used to placing the car in park and gently releasing the brakes to allow the car to come to rest on the parking pawl. We're talking slight grades here. Steeper grades I don't rely on the pawl and make full use of the parking brake.

After the update, when I park the car and gently release the brakes, the stupid hill-assist function keeps the brakes fully engaged, and a couple seconds later releases them all at once, and the car moves several inches and lands quite harshly on the parking pawl.

And I'm not even going to go into the gory details of all the dealership hassles I went through to get this update applied. But the aggravation makes the new update all the more disappointing.

TL;DR: My DCT was fine and Ford ruined it by catering to a bunch of whiners and making it seem more like a 'traditional' automatic transmission. I want my original firmware back.
Strix is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #443
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97883
Location: south east, NC
What I Drive: 2012 se black

Posts: 113
Points 81, Level 1
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
sounds like you are the whiner now lol
kjl2012 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #444
Strix
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85696
Location: Northville, MI
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Posts: 581
Points 528, Level 10
Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl2012 View Post
sounds like you are the whiner now lol
Wow. I never thought of that as I was writing a gigantic whine post. Thanks for pointing that out for me. [eyeroll]
Strix is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #445
Arnold Ziffel
Focus Rookie
 
Arnold Ziffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100689
Location: danville, NH
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray hatch

Posts: 6
FF Reputation: 1 Arnold Ziffel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
It's been a while since I posted here, but I feel the need to ramble as well. I too, am quite frustrated.

I was happy with the way my DCT operated when I bought the car last year.

I even told my service advisor that I did not see what people were complaining about. I told her that I understood how it worked, and that certain behaviors were expected and that I was perfectly happy with it.

But I took the car in for a squeaking noise that turned out to be a dead leaf stuck in the AC compressor clutch, and while it was there, they flashed my transmission. Without asking. And after I told her that I was happy with it the way it was. (This was the first update, late last year.)

My car has never been the same, exhibiting many of the same symptoms you describe. The most annoying thing has to be that throaty bogging noise it makes instead of taking off.

It used to engage the clutch much like a manual transmission, with full engagement right off the line... now it seems like it's trying to be as smooth as possible, at the expense of performance. Instead of taking off, it makes throaty burbling noises while it slips the clutch to make sure you don't get a 'harsh' sensation, you know... like a clutch engaging.

It used to shift very quickly between gears, almost imperceptibly. It worked the way that a dual clutch transmission should: with continuous power delivery.

Now there is a noticeable gap in power delivery, especially on the 1-2 shift, but also on the 2-3. It is exactly the same sensation as a manual transmission... the clutch disengages and the throttle closes, the tranny is shifted, then the clutch re-engages as the throttle opens back up. It's still pretty smooth, but it used to feel more like the throttle was never closing, and one clutch was engaging as the other was releasing. Like how a DCT is supposed to work!!

I also noticed a small amount of shift flare after the first update, and it's still there after the second update. The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are slightly improved, but are still utterly terrible compared to the way it worked when it left the factory. Clutch engagement on upshifts is a bit laggy, too... all in the name of 'smoothness' I guess.

It seems to me like Ford is trying to make the DCT seem more like a traditional torque convertor based slushbox to appease the whiny crybaby so-and-sos who weren't happy with it. Making people who were happy unhappy in the process.

I was never bothered by the roll-back. Or the 'harsh' shifts. Or the lack of 'creep'. Or the performance in stop-and-go traffic.

But now Ford has kowtowed to a bunch of whiners and ruined MY DCT to please them. And there's no going back. They can't/won't put it back the way it was when it was new.

And now it does something newly annoying... the hill start assist is so aggressive that it engages on extremely slight grades... and it's so stupid that it doesn't disengage automatically when 'park' is selected. I'm used to placing the car in park and gently releasing the brakes to allow the car to come to rest on the parking pawl. We're talking slight grades here. Steeper grades I don't rely on the pawl and make full use of the parking brake.

After the update, when I park the car and gently release the brakes, the stupid hill-assist function keeps the brakes fully engaged, and a couple seconds later releases them all at once, and the car moves several inches and lands quite harshly on the parking pawl.

And I'm not even going to go into the gory details of all the dealership hassles I went through to get this update applied. But the aggravation makes the new update all the more disappointing.

TL;DR: My DCT was fine and Ford ruined it by catering to a bunch of whiners and making it seem more like a 'traditional' automatic transmission. I want my original firmware back.
Sorry to hear you have the same problem. it does suck. i thought it was just me. you describe this issue perfectley. it used to be amazing how this thing shifted. so smooth you couldn't feel it or hear it. now your like come on, come on, there it is. Your right they took a sporty high performanc DCT and turned it into my mothers car. i feel like im driving my old 78 Pinto
Arnold Ziffel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #446
focus#3
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100555
Location: Kansas City, MO
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus Titanium

Posts: 4
FF Reputation: 1 focus#3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
after 12B37 - bad hesitation, slow to accelerate

amen to arnolds comments, well done. I also want the focus I bought back. Im currently going thru the proper channels trying to get my isssues resolved but so far Im very frustrated. whats strange is if you drive a new 2012 focus on a dealers lot, that has had the intent of 12B37 incorporated during production, it seems to be just fine. the power is there and shifting is crisp. I would by happy if mine ran as well. my second 12B37 re-update attempt was done 6/26. i was told to drive the car for 1000 miles to give the adaptive feature of the Xmission to adjust. the first update was done 6/12 and i was told to give it 200 miles. i ended up driving 400 miles the first time. anyway, im trying to cooperate even though i have doubts. i hope theyre right and the xmission will relearn. if not Ill take it to the next level as i hope others will do and maybe ford will work fast to accomodate us who liked our focus's the way they were when we originally bought them.
focus#3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #447
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast
 
ccelaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 92465
Location: MTY, Mexico
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

Posts: 157
FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I liked the previous firmware version way better :/ ...I think it was released on february. Sporty, fast response, no shuttering... but oh well.

Now I feel like the car is on E-brake all the time, constantly making grinding noises.

And don't get me started on the steering!... I gave up after 3 dealers and 2 steering racks.
ccelaya is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #448
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict
 
BiggerBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85913
Location: MAUMEE, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

Posts: 712
FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Feel bad for you guys who were happy and have had bad experiences with the update. Mine was fine from the outset with some minor glitches at low traffic-jam speeds. The 12B37 didn't make any huge differences for me..a little smoother (maybe placebo effect) but the low speed problem is gone. It seems apparent to me that different DCTs have different physical characteristics due to either tolerances or minor production variation..whatever. The point is that they are trying to perfect the one program on units that behave differently. Either that or the learning program has a bug. I have seen it suggested that folks now having trouble should have it reset forcing it to go through the learning again.
BiggerBoat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #449
Arnold Ziffel
Focus Rookie
 
Arnold Ziffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100689
Location: danville, NH
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray hatch

Posts: 6
FF Reputation: 1 Arnold Ziffel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Feel bad for you guys who were happy and have had bad experiences with the update. Mine was fine from the outset with some minor glitches at low traffic-jam speeds. The 12B37 didn't make any huge differences for me..a little smoother (maybe placebo effect) but the low speed problem is gone. It seems apparent to me that different DCTs have different physical characteristics due to either tolerances or minor production variation..whatever. The point is that they are trying to perfect the one program on units that behave differently. Either that or the learning program has a bug. I have seen it suggested that folks now having trouble should have it reset forcing it to go through the learning again.
I am having the 12B37 done again on Tuesday. if that doesn't help i am going to try and get ford to reset it to what it came with from the factory.
i will park my camper at the dealership and live there till it is back the way it was when i bought it.
Arnold Ziffel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #450
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97883
Location: south east, NC
What I Drive: 2012 se black

Posts: 113
Points 81, Level 1
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
no matter how you cut it bigger boat you are in the same boat as we are you also have a 2012 focus.
kjl2012 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.