My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #91
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This probably won't mean much to those who want to use super-premium oils in their Foci (not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it's not me), but the regular old Motorcraft synth blend that the owner's manual recommends is pretty highly regarded over at the "Bob Is The Oil Guy" forums.

I personally have never once had a car run into issues with running OEM oil changed at least as often as the manual recommends. YMMV.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #92
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
I have 3 free-ish changes coming from my dealer which I intend to get at 5k, 10k, and 15k.

I don't see the point in skimping on oil if you do your own changes. The difference between the recommended MotorCraft oil and Wal Mart's store brand conventional is less than 5 bucks a jug.

After that my intention is to run Mobil 1 for 10K OCI's -if- I can get away without changing the filter. If I'm taking that stupid cover off to change the filter then I will just chainge the oil when I have it apart.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #93
Ti2012
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99307
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Ti2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Is Amsoil affiliated with Amway in any way?
lol, I am a Amsoil dealer, and I always refer to them [amsoil] as the pyramid scheme amway company. I hate the marketing but I love the oil, which is why I sell it. I only decided to carry it after trying it for myself for a couple of years. Now I use it in everything. I even use the coolant in my farm tractors (but I don't bother trying to sell it $$$$$$).
Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #94
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
we are questioning if even EP has VISOM hydrocracked petroleum in it.
Out of curiosity .... WHO are the 'WE' in your quotatioin above ?? It's sounding a lot like you work for AMSOIL, which is fine ... but if that's the case ... you should say so. Absolutely no offense intended.

REV
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #95
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
This probably won't mean much to those who want to use super-premium oils in their Foci (not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it's not me), but the regular old Motorcraft synth blend that the owner's manual recommends is pretty highly regarded over at the "Bob Is The Oil Guy" forums.
You are correct, Motorcraft 5W-20 is one of the best entry level lubricants on the market. It simply works and returns great UOAs. Your post does mean a lot, it means that Ford has a winning non-expensive lubricant that has been proven to perform. However, I can't say the same about Motorcraft 5W-50 recommended for the Ford GT, GT500, Boss 302, and track pack GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
After that my intention is to run Mobil 1 for 10K OCI's -if- I can get away without changing the filter. If I'm taking that stupid cover off to change the filter then I will just chainge the oil when I have it apart.
To insure success, use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in the 5.1 quart containers. It's only $5.00 more than regular synthetic Mobil 1, but worth the additional investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti2012 View Post
lol, I am a Amsoil dealer, and I always refer to them [amsoil] as the pyramid scheme amway company. I hate the marketing but I love the oil, which is why I sell it. I only decided to carry it after trying it for myself for a couple of years. Now I use it in everything. I even use the coolant in my farm tractors (but I don't bother trying to sell it $$$$$$).
Ditto, I also use it in everything, even my push lawn mowers. They use to yank your shoulder out of socket when you tried to pull start them, but with Amsoil, you barely pull the cord and it starts the first time.

Amsoil is in fact multi level marketing, but I wouldn't use the stereotype "Pyramid". It's much different. The top guy isn't the one making all the money, the man who works their dealership is, no matter if he is the top, middle, or bottom guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
Out of curiosity .... WHO are the 'WE' in your quotatioin above ?? It's sounding a lot like you work for AMSOIL, which is fine ... but if that's the case ... you should say so. Absolutely no offense intended.

REV
"We" is defined as other internet posters in the know and people on the inside who's trust I have earned. I wish I worked as an Amsoil employee, I need a job.

I do hold an Amsoil independent dealer number, but showing people how to buy it at cost doesn't bring home any bacon for me. I do it for the love of cars, and sharing that love with members of car forums who I share something in common with.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #96
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,776, Level 38
Points: 3,776, Level: 38 Points: 3,776, Level: 38 Points: 3,776, Level: 38
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Now I need a solution for the factory DCT transmission. DCT fluid isn't common these days, as the technology is still kinda new. I've been researching alternate fluids other than Ford's DCT fluid, but to no avail. Guess I have to wait for companies to formulate something better.
Why do you need a solution?
How exactly would you quantify another gear oil as "something better"?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #97
KeithLM
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83553
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 KeithLM Good Standing Member
Quote:
That get's funnier every time I hear it.

No, they are not.

Amsoil was once spelled, "Amzoil" after the owner's name of Al Amatuzio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti2012 View Post
Quote:
Amsoil is in fact multi level marketing, but I wouldn't use the stereotype "Pyramid". It's much different. The top guy isn't the one making all the money, the man who works their dealership is, no matter if he is the top, middle, or bottom guy.
OK, so you admit it. That's good. Now why do you think people make the comparison to Amway? It's because you pop up on this forum and start preaching about your oil and telling us what an authority you are on it and how everything else is inferior and how we'll all learn from you and understand it's the best.

You need to chill it with the rhetoric. You come off as a blow-hard and it's difficult to take you seriously. And when you are affiliated with a company you should state that up front when you start pushing it on other people.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #98
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
OK, so you admit it. That's good. Now why do you think people make the comparison to Amway? It's because you pop up on this forum and start preaching about your oil and telling us what an authority you are on it and how everything else is inferior and how we'll all learn from you and understand it's the best.

You need to chill it with the rhetoric. You come off as a blow-hard and it's difficult to take you seriously. And when you are affiliated with a company you should state that up front when you start pushing it on other people.
For the record, I've been studying lubricant formulation and technology since 2004. That was long before I had ever heard the name "Amsoil". During the course of study, it was difficult to avoid chatter about the product. It seemed to always be mentioned, and was winning respect in circles. I dug deep with a shovel to discredit the brand as snake oil, I failed.

Like I said, you will view me like that the first few months to a year, but your view will change. The UOA threads will pop up, and the comparisons will begin. I don't make claims that I can't back up, and if you were a poster on SVT Performance, you would already know what I mean. Have patience, it's coming.

In the end, my PM inbox blows up with application questions of all types, and not just about Amsoil. Many ask what they can grab off the shelf that is possibly a better choice for their application. Not all questions are about the car a forum is centered around.

P.S. What seems to be the problem with Amway? I've known families in the past to market and sell Amway products with success. It helped them live more comfortable. Where's the negative in that?

*Yes, I agree that Amsoil would be "considered" a better, more reputable, product if it was sold in Wal Mart or auto part stores.*
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #99
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,776, Level 38
Points: 3,776, Level: 38 Points: 3,776, Level: 38 Points: 3,776, Level: 38
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
My 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 had it's oil changed every 3,000 miles. Out of the 6 qts. it took... I'd say on average between 4-5 came out, usually closer to 4... Had I waited until 5,000 miles, or even worse, 7-10,000 miles... I probably would have seized the engine.
Are you stating that a 5000 mile OCI on a Mazdaspeed 3 is going to do serious damage to the engine?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #100
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

Points 1,457, Level 21
Points: 1,457, Level: 21 Points: 1,457, Level: 21 Points: 1,457, Level: 21
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
UB is a good guy. Sold my terminator last year so I don't get on SVT much now. Welcome to FF!

EDIT: I'm also another Amsoil user. For the oil change intervals, Amsoil ends up being cheaper if you go with the flavors that offer extended range. I like changing oil once every six months or a year.
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.