My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #51
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
Manual and oil cap clearly states SAE 5W-20.
now I see, well, check what car i'm driving,

anyway still interested what oil would be better than Mobil 1

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #52
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_HT View Post
now I see, well, check what car i'm driving,

anyway still interested what oil would be better than Mobil 1
I have tried pretty much everything over the years and I believe Amsoil is the best out there. I'm not a dealer either so its unbiased. I ran it in my Mustang circle track car, I took apart the engine after 5 races and I was amazed that there was no wear on any of the brand new internals. That engine is still in use today, its been through some head gaskets, but still in use.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #53
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I have tried pretty much everything over the years and I believe Amsoil is the best out there.
You'd be hard pressed to find a better lubricant for the money. What's even better, everyone can buy Amsoil at dealer/wholesale cost by signing up as a preferred customer. Buying 25% cheaper than retail makes it a no brainer to buy Amsoil. At least you KNOW you are buying true synthetic base stock lubricants in their Signature Series.

Preferred Customer

The bypass filtration system I ordered for my 2012 Focus is manufactured by Amsoil.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #54
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
So what's the deal with these bypass filtration kits, where do I buy and what do I buy? I would like to get one for all my cars.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #55
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
So what's the deal with these bypass filtration kits, where do I buy and what do I buy? I would like to get one for all my cars.
Bypass filter kits have many benefits for a passenger car, and was adopted from large diesel trucks. The system relocates your spin on full flow filter to a remote area in the engine bay, side by side with the bypass filter. This increases oil capacity and will assist with oil cooling.

• filtration down to 1 micron (20-40 micron filtration is the best possible with spin on full flow filters)
  • ability to remove wear metals and contaminants better than a full flow filter
  • ability to remove fuel dilution and water / moisture from oil
  • cleaner oil lasts longer (longer drain interval)
  • increasing the oil systems capacity increases service interval
  • lower ppm wear metal and contaminant levels decrease engine wear
Watch how a bypass filter can remove carbon black from a lubricant in the video below. A full flow spin on filter can't, and why your engine oil looks dirty after a few thousand miles. With bypass filtration, it will always look clean until the bypass filter requires changing. Normally, you change a bypass filter every other full flow filter change.

This is a good video to explain why bypass filters work.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is what I bought after extensive research.

BMK23 bypass system

BK295 spin on adapter - this part will vary depending on the engine. This one is for the Focus.

EABP90 bypass filter

EAO15 full flow filter

Installation instructions for BMK23
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #56
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Bypass filter kits have many benefits for a passenger car, and was adopted from large diesel trucks. The system relocates your spin on full flow filter to a remote area in the engine bay, side by side with the bypass filter. This increases oil capacity and will assist with oil cooling.

• filtration down to 1 micron (20-40 micron filtration is the best possible with spin on full flow filters)
  • ability to remove wear metals and contaminants better than a full flow filter
  • ability to remove fuel dilution and water / moisture from oil
  • cleaner oil lasts longer (longer drain interval)
  • increasing the oil systems capacity increases service interval
  • lower ppm wear metal and contaminant levels decrease engine wear
Watch how a bypass filter can remove carbon black from a lubricant in the video below. A full flow spin on filter can't, and why your engine oil looks dirty after a few thousand miles. With bypass filtration, it will always look clean until the bypass filter requires changing. Normally, you change a bypass filter every other full flow filter change.

This is a good video to explain why bypass filters work.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is what I bought after extensive research.

BMK23 bypass system

BK295 spin on adapter - this part will vary depending on the engine. This one is for the Focus.

EABP90 bypass filter

EAO15 full flow filter

Installation instructions for BMK23
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #57
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find a better lubricant for the money. What's even better, everyone can buy Amsoil at dealer/wholesale cost by signing up as a preferred customer. Buying 25% cheaper than retail makes it a no brainer to buy Amsoil. At least you KNOW you are buying true synthetic base stock lubricants in their Signature Series.

Preferred Customer

The bypass filtration system I ordered for my 2012 Focus is manufactured by Amsoil.
Is it still recommended for a car with a dino initial fill to use the dino for a cycle or two before switching to synthetics?

I'm going to be doing my first change at 3K next week, and I'm also going to be near my local Amsoil warehouse next week as well.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #58
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I bought all my stuff from Amsoil.

This video shows the benefits of a bypass system.

YouTube Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Is it still recommended for a car with a dino initial fill to use the dino for a cycle or two before switching to synthetics?

I'm going to be doing my first change at 3K next week, and I'm also going to be near my local Amsoil warehouse next week as well.
I always break in new engines with the factory fill up to 1,000-1,500 miles, then make the switch. Since I'm installing the bypass filtration system at the same time as the first oil change, the engine should be happy for the rest of my natural life. If I keep it that long.

Now I need a solution for the factory DCT transmission. DCT fluid isn't common these days, as the technology is still kinda new. I've been researching alternate fluids other than Ford's DCT fluid, but to no avail. Guess I have to wait for companies to formulate something better.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #59
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
I always break in new engines with the factory fill up to 1,000-1,500 miles, then make the switch. Since I'm installing the bypass filtration system at the same time as the first oil change, the engine should be happy for the rest of my natural life. If I keep it that long.

Now I need a solution for the factory DCT transmission. DCT fluid isn't common these days, as the technology is still kinda new. I've been researching alternate fluids other than Ford's DCT fluid, but to no avail. Guess I have to wait for companies to formulate something better.
I'll just go over to an Amsoil fill this time. Definitely won't hurt anything.

DCT is still an emerging technology, especially in this type of vehicle. That's one reason I ordered my Ti with the 5speed.

Looking forward to your bypass kit install thread. Might just make it on my mod list.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #60
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Since my past 3 vehicles have all been high performance manual transmission cars, I opted to buy the automatic this time since it was new DCT. An automatic as efficient as a manual is just what my lazy bones required in a compact econo car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->