My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #31
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
This is just as full of arguments as the regular gas vs premium gas debate.

I use a secret system developed by Nasa in conjunction with Stephen Hawking and Homeland Security to calculate when to change my oil.
The calculations take a few hours on a supercomputer, but it is all worth it.
(I can sneak the time free, so that is covered)

After i drain the oil, it is sent by special courier service to a secret lab in area 51 where it is bombarded with a high intesity cosmic ray source from the alien spaceship. Then sent to a 3 mile deep shaft where it is studied for signs of alien intelligence.
After that it is fed to gerbils.
So far only two of the gerbils have started speaking in Aramaic.. but it looks very promising.
I can say no more.

Copy cat!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
I change my oil least once a yer, no matter what!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post
I change my oil least once a yer, no matter what!
That's my shower schedule! Whether I need it or not..
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #34
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
Cheap .... and completely unnecessary .....

Why not change your coolant every 5000 miles too ??? Answer .... It's not necessary. You can believe you're doing your engine a favor by changing oil at 3000 and 5000, ESPECIALLY synthetic at 3000 ... but all you're really doing is wasting money. But it's YOUR money .... so go for it.

I prefer a more scientific approach, like using oil analysis.

REV
Exactly!
Perhaps transmission oil should be changed every 1000 miles! Can't be too careful!

I'll go with the recommendation of the people that designed and built the car.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Matt, I agree with everything you said.

Now, having said that, I would like to share a little info. I don't subscribe to this policy, but it is in place (at least it was in 2003-2004).

Enterprise Rent-A-Car(ERAC) bought 6% of GM's yearly domestic output in the early 2000's, and a good sized chunk of Ford and Chrysler products as well. We're talking a corporate fleet of 600,000+ vehicles. Enterprise did not keep any vehicle outside of it's manufacturers warranty period, except for a few specialized cases. To keep the warranties valid, the cars had to go in for oil changes/service as recommended by the manufacturer. A 3000 mile OCI just wouldn't cut it. Each manufacturer specified to ERAC what the maximum OCI could be, and ERAC programmed that into their computer system for each make/model. Most US cars were in the 7Kmile range, I think the Cadillac's were 5K, and some of the imports had funky OCI's. I can't recall seeing a vehicle under 5K.

I know that was a business decision on ERAC's part, they basically cut the service costs in half. It is also one reason I would never buy a previous rental car. But, it does show what the OEM's allow to maintain a valid warranty. The 2004 Cadillac at my branch had it's engine replaced, under warranty, with less than 10K on the clock(they had to pull an engine off the assembly queue and ship it to CA). And renting a Caddy at ERAC is not the easiest thing to do. Special restrictions, high deposits, your own insurance must cover the rental, etc.

I personally change in the 3-5K range with Amsoil synthetics. The Focus will go 3k on it's first fill of dino, then another 3k or so on another fill of dino, then the rest of it's life on Amsoil.
You can take this for what's its worth, my focus was a hertz rental, I've owned the car for 7 years and 159,000mi oil still comes out clean EVERY TIME, never burns a drop either. I change every 5 to 7k I've let it go more before and never had an issue.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #36
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
You can take this for what's its worth, my focus was a hertz rental, I've owned the car for 7 years and 159,000mi oil still comes out clean EVERY TIME, never burns a drop either. I change every 5 to 7k I've let it go more before and never had an issue.
I saw some of the worst treatment ever on vehicles that came back from rental. I'm glad yours is treating you well.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
2012TI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87295
What I Drive: 12 titanium blue candy, 2001 SVT co

FF Reputation: 1 2012TI Good Standing Member
http://youtu.be/xQjgtSh8Yzg
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #38
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TI View Post
Well, that weird YouTube video definitely settles it.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #39
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
My main reason for waiting longer than 3000 miles is that I don't want to change my oil every other week. I drive way to much. I'm switching to full synthetic though. I haven't had my first oil change yet though, I have a freebie I'll use this weekend.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
OP, I just purchased a 2012 Focus and will be installing a bypass filtration system to remove finer particles (wear metals and contaminants) from the engine lubricant. Not only will it extend oil change intervals, but will significantly reduce engine wear. Full flow screw on premium filters alone will not perform efficiently under 20 microns. Cheap filters aren't great under 30-40 microns. Bypass filtration systems will filter efficiently in the 1 micron range.

The bypass system will effectively allow my engine to achieve 15,000 mile oil change intervals, or one year, whichever occur first, on true synthetic lubricants. Also note that this is for a severe service schedule and would be capable of more. However, I believe that once a year oil changes are sufficient to save money, time, and the environment with less waste oil.

Look for a detailed installation thread in the coming weeks for the bypass filtration system with used oil analysis reports.

We were oil crazy on the GT500 forums, and I even created a UOA chart to compare results. Needless to say, Motorcraft 5W-50 is not a great lubricant. It rapidly shears to a very light 40 grade lubricant and shows elevated wear metal ppm.

The moral to my post, 3,000 mile oil changes are a waste. TBN (detergent and dispersant additives) is still plentiful in engine lubricants, even cheap oil, after so few miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
At 10k I switch to Mobil One full synthetic with OEM filter and switch to 10k oil changes. That being said, I do replace the filter halfway through and top off with fresh oil.
Mobil 1 actually isn't a "true" synthetic lubricant. It's a blend of group III hydrocracked (i.e. highly refined petroleum) and group IV PAO true synthetic. Like Castrol and other big oil companies, Mobil 1 isn't 100% pure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks