2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 61 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #601
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Given that the noise (temporarily) disappears for some after getting suspension parts replaced, makes me believe that whatever the cause, it is definitely isolated to the suspension.

Since the Volvo C30 and Mazda3 are basically kissing cousins to our Foci, platform-wise, I've spent some time searching around the respective forums for those cars. While they use the same exact strut bearing and mount, I have noticed that there is no rubber spring isolator in the spring bucket for those cars. While I don't think it's directly to blame, I do believe it contributes to the issue, since it does give the spring room to vibrate. Perhaps this isolator isn't damping the spring vibrations properly, and the vibration is traveling through the spring to the strut mounts and bearings... causing the clunking we are hearing. This lack of vibration damping could be causing premature bearing failure in some cars, which is why the noise disappears when the bearings, springs, and struts are collectively replaced.

Lipshurt, you said that your noise occurs on sudden drops, such as a recessed manhole cover, or perhaps cracks in the pavement. I have the same exact characteristic. However, mine actually gets better with colder weather. It gets worse the higher the ambient temperature is. This would correlate with the spring isolator not doing it's job properly, as rubber stiffens up considerably in colder temperatures.

Again, this is merely a hypothesis. But it's definitely something worth considering.

If I had the time, and if the front suspension wasn't such a female dog to work on, I'd test this hypothesis out myself by removing the spring isolator and recording my results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #602
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
From everything I've read and from where the noise is emanating, my vote is for the bearing/top hat assembly. And if all they're doing is replacing a faulty part with the same non-redesigned part I don't see this "fixing" anything unless it's an indexing/alignment issue at install and maybe the machine was just off in the factory.
That's why I'm curious as to whether ricomtl's clunk comes back. If it does, I would imagine that there will be a change to the parts list in the near future...
The reason I bring up misalignment, though a longer shot than weak parts, is that it could be causing premature failure to the bearing/race assembly. Or maybe the bearings are not the size that they should be...or a torque issue...
Many, many variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
1) the sound is a rattle, or sometimes when it's a clunk, it's really just the first part of a rattle or a very very short rattle. That means that two things are touching each other that should NOT be touching. Not something that needs to be tightened.
I admire your thought process and attempts to rule out components, but I can assure you that my clunk (and I'm sure others on here as well) is indeed suspension related. I can (and unfortunately do) replicate it every single day by pulling into my driveway. I have stood next to the car while my gf drives it and can tell without a doubt that it is on the right hand side near my wheel. This can also incorporate steering components, but that system falls under suspension as well. Coupled with the condition that my strut top cap assembly came apart when changing my springs, it leads me to believe that (at the most) the problem in my car resides between the strut bump-stop and the upper strut mount on my car.

If you are hearing a rattle, you may not be having the same issue as those of us on this thread, idk

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #603
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My step father has "ears" and we were going to put them on the car but ran out of time on Father's Day
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #604
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Given that the noise (temporarily) disappears for some after getting suspension parts replaced, makes me believe that whatever the cause, it is definitely isolated to the suspension.

Since the Volvo C30 and Mazda3 are basically kissing cousins to our Foci, platform-wise, I've spent some time searching around the respective forums for those cars. While they use the same exact strut bearing and mount, I have noticed that there is no rubber spring isolator in the spring bucket for those cars. While I don't think it's directly to blame, I do believe it contributes to the issue, since it does give the spring room to vibrate. Perhaps this isolator isn't damping the spring vibrations properly, and the vibration is traveling through the spring to the strut mounts and bearings... causing the clunking we are hearing. This lack of vibration damping could be causing premature bearing failure in some cars, which is why the noise disappears when the bearings, springs, and struts are collectively replaced.

Lipshurt, you said that your noise occurs on sudden drops, such as a recessed manhole cover, or perhaps cracks in the pavement. I have the same exact characteristic. However, mine actually gets better with colder weather. It gets worse the higher the ambient temperature is. This would correlate with the spring isolator not doing it's job properly, as rubber stiffens up considerably in colder temperatures.

Again, this is merely a hypothesis. But it's definitely something worth considering.

If I had the time, and if the front suspension wasn't such a female dog to work on, I'd test this hypothesis out myself by removing the spring isolator and recording my results.
Your symptoms mirror my symptoms to the "T" including the temperature having an affect.
Most rubber components have excellent thermal properties so I dont know if the isolator is the cause. I am convinced that it is suspension related as the problems seem to be corrected albeit temporarily for some that have had the parts replaced.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #605
jpurvistx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94317
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Black

FF Reputation: 1 jpurvistx Good Standing Member
3 weeks now and still no noise has returned after my fix. I'm hoping and praying it doesn't!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #606
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hello everyone -

I'm in the process of compiling information for all who are still experiencing issues after having the 12B37 Customer Satisfaction Program completed. The program I mentioned specifically deals with transmission and hill-start quality.

After viewing this thread, I'll also include information concerning the clunking/rattling of the suspension in the 2012 Focus. If you're still experiencing these issues after visiting your dealer, please send me a short PM with your VIN and a brief description.

After I have all of the details properly documented, I plan to forward both issues to our engineering rep.

Hope to hear from you all soon,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #607
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello everyone -

I'm in the process of compiling information for all who are still experiencing issues after having the 12B37 Customer Satisfaction Program completed. The program I mentioned specifically deals with transmission and hill-start quality.

After viewing this thread, I'll also include information concerning the clunking/rattling of the suspension in the 2012 Focus. If you're still experiencing these issues after visiting your dealer, please send me a short PM with your VIN and a brief description.

After I have all of the details properly documented, I plan to forward both issues to our engineering rep.

Hope to hear from you all soon,

Thomas
PM sent

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #608
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Zillion....
That rubber isolator is under a lot of tension already. It would be hard for it to move much. And it seems t would move more under more stress, and be less likely to move Nader low stress of small bumps and slow speed.

Several things have seemingly made my noise disappear for a while, like getting the tires rotated, getting a new wheel, having that fender replaced, all made the nose stop for a certain length of time.....or so it seemed.

I just had a Mazda tech come over and we talked about it for a whole.
His take was, it's not suspension, and most likely plastic moving against metal. He also said that the techs have zero to gain from working on it. He said he has spent whole days riding around in trunks, putting on microphones, etc, only to never find a rattle or clunk, and also make NO money doing it.

He also said that the strut bearing is the least likely thing to give a slow speed sound. Those things are tight. He described the conditions of strut bearing failure and it's nothing lke a slow speed sound that happens over small bumps.

He said the thing that is the biggest clue is that I can make the sons happen by stress the trans and/or suddenly de-stressing the trans. He said the thing to do is put it on a lift, and hold the brakes and rev it while someone is under the car and watching what moves. He said it might take two people in the car one to hold the brake, or maybe hold the brake down with a piece of wood or bar.

He put his money on heat shielding hat is moving into contact or is in contact with something it should not be contact with.

He also said that ford will eventually get it figured out, and that when the district service rep gets involved things should start to happen pretty fast. The dealer and the dealer techs simply have very little to gain money wise by working on something like that. It's just the way the money is set up. They gain by replacing parts and charging standard labor costs, and that is why hey will throw money at it by replacing expensive parts like struts before they get under there and ride around with one tech driving and the other with his ear pressed to the floor, and mounting mics and moving them bit by bit. That can cake 100 tries and actually take days, and sometimes you can't even mount a mic in the spot where it would show exactly where the sound is. Basically they hate finding sounds and you cant really blame them I guess. I have another friend with a shop and he might be into finding it, but I would have to pay him something.

I would rather let the engineers a ford get it figured out. That will jus take time. For now, I just turn the fan up one more notch and it drowns out the sound pretty good.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #609
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Zillion....
That rubber isolator is under a lot of tension already. It would be hard for it to move much. And it seems t would move more under more stress, and be less likely to move Nader low stress of small bumps and slow speed.

Several things have seemingly made my noise disappear for a while, like getting the tires rotated, getting a new wheel, having that fender replaced, all made the nose stop for a certain length of time.....or so it seemed.

I just had a Mazda tech come over and we talked about it for a whole.
His take was, it's not suspension, and most likely plastic moving against metal. He also said that the techs have zero to gain from working on it. He said he has spent whole days riding around in trunks, putting on microphones, etc, only to never find a rattle or clunk, and also make NO money doing it.

He also said that the strut bearing is the least likely thing to give a slow speed sound. Those things are tight. He described the conditions of strut bearing failure and it's nothing lke a slow speed sound that happens over small bumps.

He said the thing that is the biggest clue is that I can make the sons happen by stress the trans and/or suddenly de-stressing the trans. He said the thing to do is put it on a lift, and hold the brakes and rev it while someone is under the car and watching what moves. He said it might take two people in the car one to hold the brake, or maybe hold the brake down with a piece of wood or bar.

He put his money on heat shielding hat is moving into contact or is in contact with something it should not be contact with.

He also said that ford will eventually get it figured out, and that when the district service rep gets involved things should start to happen pretty fast. The dealer and the dealer techs simply have very little to gain money wise by working on something like that. It's just the way the money is set up. They gain by replacing parts and charging standard labor costs, and that is why hey will throw money at it by replacing expensive parts like struts before they get under there and ride around with one tech driving and the other with his ear pressed to the floor, and mounting mics and moving them bit by bit. That can cake 100 tries and actually take days, and sometimes you can't even mount a mic in the spot where it would show exactly where the sound is. Basically they hate finding sounds and you cant really blame them I guess. I have another friend with a shop and he might be into finding it, but I would have to pay him something.

I would rather let the engineers a ford get it figured out. That will jus take time. For now, I just turn the fan up one more notch and it drowns out the sound pretty good.
Your friend needs to find a new line of work. Everyone has their niche. He has yet to find his.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #610
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Your friend needs to find a new line of work. Everyone has their niche. He has yet to find his.
This is a most epic burn. Sir, I do believe that this will become part of my signature. I give you one of these in trade -

Edit: There it is. You will be known throughout.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks