2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 60 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #591
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 13,770, Level 76
Points: 13,770, Level: 76 Points: 13,770, Level: 76 Points: 13,770, Level: 76
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Mine goes back in tomorrow, so have to see what they come up with this time. Different dealer, as my former dealer closed
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #592
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
By the way, we're monitoring this thread very closely and are hard at work with compiling information from all customers.
So why isn't Ford addressing this issue within the US here and possibly global? Are these problems just coming out of the cars built here in Michigan? I am really hesitant to take my car in. Seeing some poor guys/gals on here having to take their car in up to 3 times or more for an obvious "that's a sound a brand new car SHOULD NOT make"....c'mon. My dad has worked at Ford for over 33 years now and we have had multiple Ford vehicles, I know when something obvious up front is not what it should sound like. What's being monitored specifically/what actions are being taken? {And my luck so have it I will take my car in and just get the run around}
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #593
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
I had the same Ford service hotline prescribed fix done on 6/13/12: springs and strut bearings replaced. At first it seemed to have worked. But now the clunking, squeaking, and rattling are back. Car had 6800 miles and the repair was done about 400 miles ago.

I just don't want to take it back in until Ford comes up with the real answer to this problem. Unbelievable.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #594
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
I had the same Ford service hotline prescribed fix done on 6/13/12: springs and strut bearings replaced. At first it seemed to have worked. But now the clunking, squeaking, and rattling are back. Car had 6800 miles and the repair was done about 400 miles ago.

I just don't want to take it back in until Ford comes up with the real answer to this problem. Unbelievable.
hmm so what you're saying is that I shouldn't get too excited now that the noise is gone eh??
Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #595
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
hmm so what you're saying is that I shouldn't get too excited now that the noise is gone eh??
I was excited when I picked mine up from the dealer after the repair. Their service people seemed genuinely concerned about it and wanted to fix it. There is really no denying that this problem is real and it's widespread. And the "Ford service hotline advice" to the dealers' service departments is NOT working. At least not on mine. It's very disappointing to say the least.

ricomtl: I hope your repair worked. Let us know after a few hundred miles how it's doing.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #596
06Shadowgrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97186
What I Drive: 2006 DSG ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 06Shadowgrey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok so i told my wife's in on monday, the service writer test drove it and heard some noise in the front and somehow thought it was the transmission (this will be shop trip number 2), never told them anything was wrong with the trans! Told me they didnt find anything wrong and told me to bring it back if the noise returns. Drove around the corner, noise never went away, shop trip number 3! So the service adviser and the lead mechanic drove with me and heard what i was complaining about. Car was in the ALL day yesterday, they didnt see anything wrong but they are replacing the spring, upper mount and the bearing today... This is just very frustrating, I understand that this a totally new car and will have problems, but most of these issues should have been resolved a long time ago. My service dept really seemed like they didnt care to resolve the issue, I had tell them about the strut bearing theory... Where's my paycheck!!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #597
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,758, Level 94
Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
here you go - disregard the lower part of the w/o, that was another issue with the mirror switch. Parts are all listed there.

The AD1094 is the strut bearings, I just got the part numbers for it and the top cap while my car is in for an oil change. I am curious as to how long your car is better also (hopefully you don't have any more problems). If the noise comes back, I wonder if it is a weak part or if there is misalignment causing the distress.

Not saying that the bearingis what was wrong with your car, I couldn't decipher all of the parts list. Is the second part a strut or something else?
2014 FiST-
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #598
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Mine goes in next week. Round 1 with a new dealer. If they manage to fix the noise I will probably put my car up for sale.
I don't have much faith in Ford addressing the issue with a long term fix. They have a poor track record when it comes to addressing these types of issues.
M-82 manual transmission issues in the 2011-2012 mustangs is a good example.
If it weren't for the cost cutting Chinese outsourcing and premature product releases, Ford would be world class.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #599
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 123,836, Level 100
Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
From everything I've read and from where the noise is emanating, my vote is for the bearing/top hat assembly. And if all they're doing is replacing a faulty part with the same non-redesigned part I don't see this "fixing" anything unless it's an indexing/alignment issue at install and maybe the machine was just off in the factory.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #600
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Yeah! where's my paycheck?!
I've been trying to figure this one out for a while now, and to take a bit of heat off the techs, it's more complicated than we think. First of all, it's sounds suspension related, so they check all the suspension parts.... No problem found. If you look around under there, all is tight as can be. So I think the suspension is a dead end, and here is why based on these clues:

1) the sound is a rattle, or sometimes when it's a clunk, it's really just the first part of a rattle or a very very short rattle. That means that two things are touching each other that should NOT be touching. Not something that needs to be tightened.

2) when it's colder, it's more likely to actually sound like a rattle, and when it does there are about 4 cycles to rattle, and they are at a frequency of about 8 cycles per second. That means that the pieces are moving pretty far, like a couple millimeters or more. Anything with any tightness at all will never move that far.

3) when it warms up, my sound all but goes away, a least it is much less obvious. When you first get in after it's been sitting for a couple hours, it's pretty bad. The weird thing is that when it gets warmed up, that process takes about 15 minutes or more. So it's not water temperature, and it's probably not exhaust temperature (although it could be! I'm not sure how long it takes for exhaust pipes to come up to temperature but I suspect it's not more a a couple minutes..right?), but it seems like its related to the general temperature under the hood. So some parts are maybe tightening or more likely actually moving apart as they get warm. That's not suspension.

4) it's not the calipers either, although that is the most obvious thing that gets hot, and gets tighter when it gets hot. It does it while braking as easily as when coasting.

5) I have a manual trans, and I can make the sound happen by lugging the engine by starting in 2nd or third gear! It's the EXACT same sound as when going over small bumps at slow speed. By the way, the bumps most likely to trigger the sound are NOT bumps, but places in the pavement that suddenly drop DOWN, kind of the opposite of a bump. Since I can make the sound by lugging the engine (when it lugs, it moves around in the engine compartment more) it means that something is touching the engine, or the trans, or the exhaust system, and it either should not be touching, or is not tight enough. As I said above I would say its more likely that the pieces should not be touching.

6) here is big clue..... Nobody can find it by looking under there! That means that either everyone is totally incompetent, dumb, or uninterested.....EVERYBODY? That seems unlikely.....or it means that everyone is looking in the wrong places, and that seems plausible to me......or it means we all have a different sound which is also possible.....or it means.....

7) the sound itself is the sound of metal touching plastic. If its metal moving against plastic, it's probably the exhaust moving. If its plastic moving against metal, it's probably some line like a brake line or fuel line or bundled wire that is moving. There are a LOT of suspended wires hat are meticulously insulated and suspended so they don't rattle. I have insulated a LOT of those things and never found the one that is the culprit. Probably one that's not too visible.

8) things that make the same sound under the hood include:

the hood prop rod. Flick it with your finger and it makes the same sound. That's not it though!

The battery cover....also not it
The washer bottle....wrong
The under lining of the wheel wells and the plastic under the engine compartment.....wrong too, I insulated all this stuff

The actual hood, which I spent a LOT of time insulating. It rattles with the same sound but it's not the issue either

On the manual, the actual shifter is right on top of the trans and easy to see and touch, you can wiggle it up and down on it makes the EXACT same sound. I can't figure out a way to insulate it and still let it move freely. That could EASILY be it, but I don't know if the DCT has a similar kind of shifter. It's a weighted thing that swings side to side to select the gears in the trans. It looks like a fancy golf putter. You can move it with your hand, and it's pretty loose and has a lot of play......Hmmmmmm. If you start out in first gear and then accel hard but push the clutch in when you are still accelerating you can make it make the sound when the trans goes from stressed to not stressed quickly.....Hmmmmmm

All kinds of wiring and other random stuff hat I insulated to no avail

9) it's nothing that shows or is visible. You can't see the top of the strut towers without removing some plastic...could be there. Can not really see the exhaust very well either. Could be there......

10) the engine mounts have been mentioned, and that seems plausible given the fact that you can reproduce the sound by lugging the engine, but when the engine is stressed it seems to work great. If it were the mounts wouldnt it get worse as the engine is pushed harder?

The dealers and techs and engineers don't have the advantage of being obsessed with this minor rattle (it is annoying but honestly, it's pretty minor) like some of are:)

Bookmarks & Social Networks