Lowering springs - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #61
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE sport

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well I would like to thank you Matt for giving me a call last night to help out. I can't wait to fix this end link and get the alignment so I can get the mesuerments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #62
ic0der
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99386
What I Drive: 2012 S Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ic0der Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wonder if this could be installed on the Sedan European model. I guess it will right?

Waiting for the final pics RED!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #63
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'm gonna slip this thread back to the Eibach's for a moment. The drop looks good, Red! I am really curious to see where these sit after they settle. If these indeed drop 1" and mine are only .8", then I think you will have the perfect set-up for what is currently available. Oh, and after they settle you should consider bringing it up here for a Swap-Your-Ride test drive...

So here are what I will call the settled pics. Not a ton different from the others posted here, but it is noticeable in person. After about 300 miles back and forth to work (parking at night with 200 lbs in the rear) and an additional 1100-ish mile trip on the interstate (550-ish with myself and GF, 550-ish full family and gear), I am going to call these settled. Should they change in any direction in next two weeks I will come back on and post the change. The measurements start at the 1" mark (an aircraft mechanic thing), and both measure 13.5" total from hub-center to wheel-well bottom.

Here is the front-

Here is the rear-

The kit makes the wheel-wells look level, though there is still rake in the lower trim panel. This, for me, is near perfect.

Before -

After -

I know the pics aren't both in the same spot and that the before wasn't on a level surface- I am just giving a general comparison.

And now it is time to get the spacers on order

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #64
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I'm gonna slip this thread back to the Eibach's for a moment........
And now it is time to get the spacers on order
Pics look great! Might just have to get moar low next spring. Need to see how she handles snow this winter first...

What are these spacers? Was there a discussion I missed somewhere?
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #65
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
Well I would like to thank you Matt for giving me a call last night to help out. I can't wait to fix this end link and get the alignment so I can get the mesuerments

No problem. Always glad to help!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #66
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Pics look great! Might just have to get moar low next spring. Need to see how she handles snow this winter first...

What are these spacers? Was there a discussion I missed somewhere?
Yeah, it still looks like I'm heading to a party (car full of fat-chicks, my gf knows how I roll). I PM'ed Zillon, who I think has the best looking stance pics (that I have seen, imho), and the spacer equivalent of his rims would put our 18" wheels at a +10. H&R sells them for about $130 an axle.

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #67
marbleheadjimmy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98866
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 marbleheadjimmy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0der View Post
Nice my fella sedan ! wheel size? and brand?

UPDATE: just read the next reply :) really good looking wheels man! I have the same car and color! how did you manage to put on the tires sensors again?
No sensors, I just hit "ok" as soon as I start the car and del with the dash lights
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #68
ic0der
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99386
What I Drive: 2012 S Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ic0der Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleheadjimmy View Post
No sensors, I just hit "ok" as soon as I start the car and del with the dash lights
Oh
I'm thinking to install Steeda's Lowering springs based on reviews it gives more of a stock ride. Though I'm not sure if the springs will fit ont the european model. I contacted Steeda's customer service, they are not sure either. what do you think? since you got a sedan with the same color
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #69
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
What are these spacers?
I think I did a bad job of explaining that. When you minimally drop your car (1" and below), it gives the perception that you have a stock suspension and a car full of adults. Spacers/adapters go between your wheel and the hub to push your wheels father out. This gives your car a cleaner look. If you compare where the outside of my wheels are in relation to the opening perpendicularly (is thay a word) to Zillon's pics, you should have a better idea. Some people like to push the wheel even farther out than the wheel-well opening-the hella flush look.

You have to be careful when using spacers/adapters as pushing your stock wheel too far out will cause premature wear on your bearings and increase your unsprung weight, this giving you even worse handling. I personally wouldn't go beyond 10mm, but I have no real way of documenting why without engineering diagrams of our suspension design (though I know you understand the theories sure due to the nature of your profession).

Hopefully that makes more sense than picturing me riding around with a whole bunch of fat chicks...Sorry about my bad grammar.

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #70
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I think I did a bad job of explaining that. When you minimally drop your car (1" and below), it gives the perception that you have a stock suspension and a car full of adults. Spacers/adapters go between your wheel and the hub to push your wheels father out. This gives your car a cleaner look. If you compare where the outside of my wheels are in relation to the opening perpendicularly (is thay a word) to Zillon's pics, you should have a better idea. Some people like to push the wheel even farther out than the wheel-well opening-the hella flush look.

You have to be careful when using spacers/adapters as pushing your stock wheel too far out will cause premature wear on your bearings and increase your unsprung weight, this giving you even worse handling. I personally wouldn't go beyond 10mm, but I have no real way of documenting why without engineering diagrams of our suspension design (though I know you understand the theories sure due to the nature of your profession).

Hopefully that makes more sense than picturing me riding around with a whole bunch of fat chicks...Sorry about my bad grammar.
Yes, but "thay" isn't!

So, we drop for lower CG/looks, but then we're adding wheel spacer to push the wheel out to get rid of the tucked look that the dropping created. Will fender rolling be in the future of these spacers on these wheels? Any stronger hubs/bearings out there? I agree 10mm isn't much, and doesn't weigh much either. But you already have the widest tire/wheel combo available and then you're gonna punch 'em out 3/8" more. I wonder how Focusboy and his 19's are doing. Most of the other low or stanced guys also don't have the steering limiters of our rack.

Do you have any pics that could show the NEED for a spacer? You've already brought the tire 25mm vertically closer to the fender lip, and you're considering 10mm horizontally as well. I hate having to roll fenders, it is a serious PITA to do right.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks