SCT LiveLink Gen II - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
SCT LiveLink Gen II

SCT now has the 1 thing they've been missing since forever, histograms and configurable charts. It's the #1 reason I've hated their logging software and bought a specific logging software,,, which I no longer need .

http://sctflash.com/software/LiveLink_GenII.exe

Should make life much easier once you (I) get the hang of using it.
Kudos to SCT for finally making a good logging software.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Good luck getting it to work , On about 20 Foci I get it to work on maybe 1-2 , they know the issues and say they are working on it

If you have LiveLink 6.5 keep it , I would not go to GenII yet

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
akivon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100817
What I Drive: 2006, red hitchback focus

FF Reputation: 1 akivon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have the same feeling
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
bump
Still can't log and won't be able to with a Xcal II the way it sounds. The Xcal III might, far as I've heard.

But I just wanted to show how to set up the data maps and how much easier it is to tune with once set up properly.

First off, the Mass Air Transfer Function (MTF).
If you only have an Xcal and don't have the Advantage software all of these setups will be guesswork, but should come close. Best option is still to pay for a custom tune from Tom, or to buy the Advantage software. I'm only posting this to show how nice it works to go through datalogs.

So the MTF,

This is what the table looks like in Advantage:

To set up the data map you'll use the "Counts" values.
This will become the row labels, as you'll see in a bit.

Next thing you'll want to know is your "Throttle Mode". This is simply idle, Part Throttle (PT) and Wide Open Throttle (WOT). These will log as a number, -1, 0 and 1 respectively.

Now lets set up the data map.

The top item is what will fill the cells.
The next down is MAF Counts. Notice how the label is exactly what the Count is from the MTF in Advantage.
The last is the Throttle Mode.

If you set it up this way this will be the result:

This is a very quick way to find out if the MTF is close to correct or not. But this also assumes your injector values are correct. Nice thing is, if the injector values are off this table will reflect it. I won't tell you how, but it will.

To make this table you will have to log; Short Term Fuel Trim, Throttle Mode (or Flag) and MAF Counts, these may vary in name. For instance STFT may be bank 1 and or bank 2. If there are 2 banks you'll have to make 2 data maps.

Now lets set up a data map for ignition timing.

There are a couple ways you may want to set this up. I'll go through a good way to set it up if you have Advantage and a way to set it up if you only have a Xcal and can adjust spark based on RPM ranges.

Advantage:

Xcal

This I'm not sure on what ranges to use. But they won't be the same as above. You'll only be able to adjust spark "Globally", which is adding or subtracting from all the cells in the Advantage table.
Or by ranges based on RPM steps, something like 1,000-2,000, 2,000-3,000 ... This will be adjustment similar to global. That is all loads will be added to or subtracted from.
Neither way is a safe method to adjust spark and unless you know the downfalls I don't advise anyone to adjust spark this way. Buy the tune from Tom or buy Advantage.

Warning aside, this is how you could set it up:

You can really see how much data you don't see and you should understand why it's a bad practice to add or subtract spark with the Xcal only.

Next up, fuel. Specifically the Base Fuel Table.
The BFT is used when the engine is warm. There is a set temperature at which the ECU switches to this table. That temperature will vary from ECU to ECU. Odds are this temp will be around 160F. So a safe bet is to start logging on a car that's already warmed up. This will help avoid errors in the data.
This is another situation where the Xcal has a major disadvantage. You will only be able to add or subtract fuel at Wide Open Throttle, if I recall correctly. I'll show you how to set this up also.

Advantage

*special note to Advantage users*
Make sure your TP for WOT is listed in your base fuel table. Both should be adjusted at the same time. This will help filter the data for LL Gen 2.

Xcal

In this case you only want to pay attention to Throttle Mode 1, remember it is Wide Open Throttle.

There are a great many things you can do with this software. Some that can make the harder things very easy to tune, and some that are just fun to play with ... and see what kind of data mess you can come up with. The biggest advantage is the speed at which you can go through data.

I'm not sure how much data logging you guys do. Myself, I log no less than 15 minutes of combined driving at a time; idle, part throttle and WOT. I'm a firm believer in The Law Of Averages. That is the more data you're able to get in each cell, the less chance you have of inaccurate data messing up changes. More data = more accuracy (assuming all of it isn't inaccurate data).

If you need any help setting something up or have any question, just ask.
Hope you can make use of this.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79468
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 2.0L Dtec, '11 MK2.5 2.0L

FF Reputation: 3 Fernando_221 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The LL Gen2 is the only one able to log the knock sensors pid on my strategy code. It works perfectly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks