2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 103 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1021
SA-focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95710
What I Drive: 2012 Red Kandy Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 SA-focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)

took a trip out to houston yesterday from san antonio. on the way over there i had a full car load and had to do about 70-72 the whole way to get there on time. got 37.3 mpg that trip. suprised me i got there on a half a tank. well on the way back i was riding solo and had no time restrictions so i took my time and decided to go 65 the whole way back to san antonio . im pretty sure i pissed off alot of people cuz the speed limit is 75 most of the time and its a 2 lane..... ahhh well i pulled off 43.5 mpg and to my astonishment i was able to get back with just wasting a little over 1/4 tank. i am glad to say that i am pretty darn happy with this car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #1022
Uppsala9496
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100467
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Uppsala9496 Good Standing Member
Pulled 39.1 mpg on a ~150 mile trip a few weeks ago.
Daily commute has me at 30.7 mpg.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #1023
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-focus View Post

took a trip out to houston yesterday from san antonio. on the way over there i had a full car load and had to do about 70-72 the whole way to get there on time. got 37.3 mpg that trip. suprised me i got there on a half a tank. well on the way back i was riding solo and had no time restrictions so i took my time and decided to go 65 the whole way back to san antonio . im pretty sure i pissed off alot of people cuz the speed limit is 75 most of the time and its a 2 lane..... ahhh well i pulled off 43.5 mpg and to my astonishment i was able to get back with just wasting a little over 1/4 tank. i am glad to say that i am pretty darn happy with this car....
jealous! :)
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #1024
sobhall
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90365
What I Drive: White 2012 Focus S, automatic

FF Reputation: 1 sobhall Good Standing Member
Then how's this?...I'm averaging around 42 mpg since I got my Focus S last September. First fill-up after having my Rostra cruise control installed: 43.7 mpg. To have a car that drives and handles like this, and gets this kind of gas mileage...very, very happy with this car.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #1025
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
31.4 with less than 500 on the odometer so far.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #1026
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #1027
FordFocursing
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98824
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FordFocursing Good Standing Member
Hand-Calculations?

I'm very excited for all these high mpgs being reported, but urge folks to hand-calculate to confirm.

I hand verify every tank (with the added advantage of almost always using the same actual pump) and found that not only is my car's computer off, but not really by a predictable margin (or even direction). I asked my dealer about this and the responses was "You're lucky it's not off by more!"

This is my first car with an on-board mpg calculator, but my reading indicates that they're more novelty than scientific reality across the board (brands, models, etc).

I, too, have gotten 40+ mpg readings on trips -- felt like a million bucks -- until I did the math myself and saw I was still in the 34-ish ballpark.

Anyhow, don't mean to be a buzzkill, just suggesting folks consider their hand-calculated mpgs along with dashreads.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #1028
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86472
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 CharlieRose Good Standing Member
I often calculate manually to double-check the computer readout, and they've never been more than 1mpg off. So I'm surprised to see you got a 6mpg disparity.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #1029
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFocursing View Post
I'm very excited for all these high mpgs being reported, but urge folks to hand-calculate to confirm.

I hand verify every tank (with the added advantage of almost always using the same actual pump) and found that not only is my car's computer off, but not really by a predictable margin (or even direction). I asked my dealer about this and the responses was "You're lucky it's not off by more!"

This is my first car with an on-board mpg calculator, but my reading indicates that they're more novelty than scientific reality across the board (brands, models, etc).

I, too, have gotten 40+ mpg readings on trips -- felt like a million bucks -- until I did the math myself and saw I was still in the 34-ish ballpark.

Anyhow, don't mean to be a buzzkill, just suggesting folks consider their hand-calculated mpgs along with dashreads.
I've always done the hand calculations, and that while the dash computer so far hasn't been consistently off either high or low yet it has generally been close, but I only have 5 fuel ups since new. When I got my highest average tank mpg the computer was saying that for trip 1 I had gotten 37.8 mpg average. However when I filled up the tank to one click past the auto shutoff as I had traditionally done with my last car it used 11.4 gallons to go 426 miles, which came out to right around 37.4 mpg, so it was only off by less than 0.5 mpg, but that extra bit of fuel can be enough to throw off the calculation. My average based on hand calculations over the past 1622 or so miles (up to and including the 5th fill up, but I have over 120 more miles on the current tank of gas) has been right around 34.4 mpg. However most of that has been done in town on most of my commuting tanks with only a few miles of highway per direction, and plenty of traffic lights. Occasionally then the computer will fluctuate between 29-35 mpg then. I also tend to use the a/c a lot when its warm to hot out simply because I can, and the fact that my previous car didn't have working air conditioning so I would have to either keep the windows up and really suffer, or endure the wind noise at freeway speeds.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #1030
Noles1983
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100394
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Noles1983 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-focus View Post

Nice! Since i drive from SA to see my father in Cypress this is great news

Bookmarks & Social Networks