Remote Start and "Open Door Shut Off" - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #81
choyrl
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99906
What I Drive: 97 MustangGT,08 Corvette,12 FocusTi

FF Reputation: 1 choyrl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I also just heard from 2 different people that they thought it was illegal to use remote start in Colorado and that one could be ticketed and fined for doing so? Is that true in some states? Please explain if this is true and why it is illegal to use remote start in some states. I will try to look that up in the web as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #82
Kgodreau
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100248
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 Kgodreau Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazama View Post
The dealer installed remote start kit for the 2012 Focus is unique. This information probably won't transfer over exactly to other cars but the menu access & navigation will be the same. I have only tested this on a fully loaded 2012 titanium, auto, with push-button start & MyKey. I have a uni-directional remote start, not the bi-directional.

This is combination of Option Bank settings (LED on or off) required to achieve:

-No honk at start
-No shut off when handle is touched or if the door or liftgate are opened.
-15 min run time
-2.5 sec hold on button to start

Menu Description:

Option Bank 1 - 4 chirps
Option 1: Tach Learn (N/A)= OFF
Option 2: Door Ajar Polarity(On=pos; Off=Neg) = OFF
Option 3: Key in sense Polarity (On=pos; Off=Neg) = ON
Option 4: Extended Horn Output (On=3x horn output; Off=Normal horn ouput) = OFF

Option Bank 2 - 5 chirps
Option 1: Blind Crank of Tach Mode (On=blind crank; Off=Tach Mode) = OFF
Option 2: Crank Time (On=1sec; Off=8sec) = ON
Option 3: Run Time (On=15min; Off=10min) = ON
Option 4: Start Activation (On=hold 2.5 seconds; Off=double press button) = ON
Option 5: Diesel Timer (On=30sec crank delay; Off=No Delay)= OFF
Option 6: Hon on Start (On=honk confirmation: Off=No honk) = OFF

The key to the no horn/no shutoff combo is changing Bank 2 Option 1 to OFF in combination with Bank 1 Option 4 to OFF. If you leave Bank 1 Option 4 ON it will chirp 4 times at start up but not shut off on door opening. You can toggle the other options to suit your prefs. Those 4 chirps are just the system telling you that your tach needs to be programmed because you've changed Bank 2 Option 1 to Tach Mode (which it isn't) so it expects a signal between the remote start module and the engine. There is no connection in this case, hence the error chirps. I am not sure at all why this works. I'm uncertain as to why Tach Mode seems to cancel the auto shut off. If you make a mistake you can always reset the settings to default by holding the transmitter button for 3-4 seconds while in menu mode at any time. Next, change Bank 2 Option 1 to ON, and you should be at your factory installed settings.

Please post your experiences.
Yamazama

I had this same problem with a Bi Directional starter, remote push start 2012 titanium.
I brought in a copy of this thread to my ford mechanic and he was able to set up my focus as follows : no horn at start, locks door when start button is pushed and when i get up to the car my key fob unlocks the door and the car does not shut down. The only issue now is that I have lost bi directional functionality, it does not beep on my remote when I start the car and I can no longer shut it off with the car starter.

This is a non issue for me because I do not require these functions.

I am very happy I no longer need to start my car twice once winter hits...

Thank you very much Yamazama!!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #83
choyrl
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99906
What I Drive: 97 MustangGT,08 Corvette,12 FocusTi

FF Reputation: 1 choyrl Good Standing Member
This is what I found for Colorado:

During the week of December 1-7, if your car is left running unattended, or puffing in the cold weather, you may get the attention of a police officer near you. That is because the Colorado Auto Theft Investors (CATI) organization has designated the first week in December as "Puffer Week." The Aurora Police Department, along with about a dozen other law enforcement agencies along the Front Range will take part in a weeklong campaign designed to increase public awareness about the risks involved with leaving an unattended vehicle running, especially during the winter season.

For two days during Puffer Week, Aurora police officers will fan out over the city looking for violators at puffer theft hot spots which include neighborhoods, convenience stores and coffee shops, apartment complexes and daycare centers.

With the winter weather upon us, the Aurora Police Department and other law enforcement agencies want to remind drivers that not only is it a bad idea to leave an unattended vehicle idling to warm up and melt snow and ice off the windows, but the practice is against the law. The municipal violation in Aurora - Unattended Motor Vehicle - carries a fine between $75 and $105 - is enforceable on private and public property (state violation 42-4-1206).

---------------

This showed up in my search with a 2004 date on the article so I don't know if that is still a current requirement for that 1 week in December.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #84
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgodreau View Post
I had this same problem with a Bi Directional starter, remote push start 2012 titanium.
I brought in a copy of this thread to my ford mechanic and he was able to set up my focus as follows : no horn at start, locks door when start button is pushed and when i get up to the car my key fob unlocks the door and the car does not shut down. The only issue now is that I have lost bi directional functionality, it does not beep on my remote when I start the car and I can no longer shut it off with the car starter.

This is a non issue for me because I do not require these functions.

I am very happy I no longer need to start my car twice once winter hits...

Thank you very much Yamazama!!
Now it all makes sense to me. When you set Tachless=OFF, the remote starter looks for tach signal to confirm whether the car has started. There's no tach connection on Focus. As far as the remote starter is concerned, the car hasn't started successfully . So the remote starter neither shuts off the engine when the doors are opened nor send "engine running" signal to the bi-directional transmitter.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #85
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
Now it all makes sense to me. When you set Tachless=OFF, the remote starter looks for tach signal to confirm whether the car has started. There's no tach connection on Focus. As far as the remote starter is concerned, the car hasn't started successfully . So the remote starter neither shuts off the engine when the doors are opened nor send "engine running" signal to the bi-directional transmitter.
Awesome explanation - it all makes sense to me now. Thanks for reasoning it out for the rest of us!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #86
miketech77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100662
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 miketech77 Good Standing Member
Hi guys, I could use a little help with understanding the remote start system. I just bought my 2012 Focus Ti Sunday and had the ford powercode remote start installed. When I left the dealer the remote start, started the car. When I got home and tried starting it with the remote start it would chirp once confirming the request to start, chirp again, start the and then chirp 3 times and the car would shut off. The manual indicated three chirps meant a door was open, well I can tell you none of them were open, I checked all of them several times. After about a half hour I gave up. Next morning I went out and what do you know, the car started with the remote start and stayed running. I got playing with it again and noticed the remote start would start the car with a door open, hatch open or hood open. According to the manual the car should not be allowed to do this.

Can anyone else confirm that the remote start, on the push to start focus's do not allow the remote start to start if you have the hood, door or hatch opened?

One last thing of note, last night when the car wouldn't start at all, I noticed after it failed to start and I got in the car, the radio had defaulted back to Fm radio and didn't remain on Sirius radio as like when I left the car.

I'm assuming something is wrong with the remote start or the install wasn't done right. Can anyone confirm this and possibly offer any insight to what the issue might be?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #87
eriksarnstrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101520
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 eriksarnstrom Good Standing Member
I just want a car that doesn't honk ever or turn off when I open the door. Is that so much to ask?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #88
pappasaj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102542
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 pappasaj Good Standing Member
Followed all the instructions provided and now the car starts and does not shut off when I enter it. What a relief. However, prior to going through this process I was able to shut the car off remotely too, I can no longer do that. Any thoughts on why I can't do this, or what setting that is?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #89
ixNay
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105565
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 ixNay Good Standing Member
Hello,

I hope I am not beating a dead horse here by bringing this topic back alive after several months, but i have an issue.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback with Push Button Start with a Ford remote starter installed. I have been through this topic several times reading what people have tried and I have printed out suggestions with no success. Basically, I have the same issue as others regarding starting the car via remote then opening the door and the car shuts off.

I located the remote start module and push button up and behind the passenger side glove box. When I press the button and hold it for 10 seconds nothing happens, no horn chirping (While the car is running). I did notice that when I press the button and hold or if I just press and release the button that a red LED light flashes 3 times.

Am I currently missing something?

I do have an active "MyKey" which I have tried to reset to the default Non-Active, but it will not reset. The manual states that if I go to "Settings" then to my key and hold the down-arrow button it will reset. Mine scrolls to the mykey miles then back to the mykey active message without resetting. My remote start is the uni-directional I believe.

If you have any ideas suggestions I would appreciate it

Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #90
Blizzard35
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88463
What I Drive: 2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 2 Blizzard35 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixNay View Post
Hello,

I hope I am not beating a dead horse here by bringing this topic back alive after several months, but i have an issue.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback with Push Button Start with a Ford remote starter installed. I have been through this topic several times reading what people have tried and I have printed out suggestions with no success. Basically, I have the same issue as others regarding starting the car via remote then opening the door and the car shuts off.

I located the remote start module and push button up and behind the passenger side glove box. When I press the button and hold it for 10 seconds nothing happens, no horn chirping (While the car is running). I did notice that when I press the button and hold or if I just press and release the button that a red LED light flashes 3 times.

Am I currently missing something?

I do have an active "MyKey" which I have tried to reset to the default Non-Active, but it will not reset. The manual states that if I go to "Settings" then to my key and hold the down-arrow button it will reset. Mine scrolls to the mykey miles then back to the mykey active message without resetting. My remote start is the uni-directional I believe.

If you have any ideas suggestions I would appreciate it

Thanks
FWIW.....I have figured out with my Titanium with remote start that if I have started the car, with the remote starter, all I have to do for the car "NOT" to shut off is to open the car by using the unlock button on the keyless entry key fob. So long as I do that, the car will remain on even when I open the door. If I try to use the intelligent access opening of the car door (touch one of the door handles and then open the door) then the car will shut off.

Bookmarks & Social Networks