TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 41 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #401
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Nothing in that press release suggests the transmission learns over time or remembers how you drive. "Recognises individual styles" isn't the same as "remembers individual styles". "Crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving" and "uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift" means it responds to how you are driving at any given moment and won't remember that you like to drive that way later on, or even a few seconds later.
Isn't that what all automatics have done for all time? They'll hold gears longer if you're flooring it. Always have. Why is this being touted as a new feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
That is correct. The adaptive learning for the DCT has 3 parts:

1) TR Sensor Adaptive Learning (the TCM calibrates the sensor for the shift lever position. This is done by a service tech after TCM reprogramming.)

2) Shift Drum Adaptive Learning (the TCM calibrates the exact positioning of the shift drums. This is done by a service tech after TCM reprogramming.)

3) Clutch Adaptive Learning (the TCM calibrates the "catch points" of both clutches. This is done by a service tech after TCM reprogramming but is constantly being "fine tuned" as you drive your car.)
That's all well and good, and I have no strong feelings either way. But there's still the issue that there's nothing published (that I've seen) that says the DCT does NOT learn or "remember" driving habits. It's fine with me if it doesn't, I don't care, in fact I'd prefer it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #402
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
...I dont KnoW how this can be done three weeks after the update but they did it and they only put a few miles on the car.
Well, are you sure you read what I said last time ? I said you should drive the DCT a bit "harder" THE FIRST 1000 miles, to give it the chance of a proper "break in".

After these first 1000 miles, you can do whatever you want whenever your car has a TCM/PCM reflash. Ask your dealer about what to do if you are unsure (be sure it is a knowledgeable one, though). When I asked mine after they've done the last TSB (not this FSA), they said it was no need to drive different from what I did, because they've done it for me with the "clutch adaptive learning procedure". And my DCT was already broke in. Yes, my car had already 13000 km on board at the time. Now I am at 20500 km and enjoy it every minute.
So, before claming all over this forum how you are the mighty-know-everything about how bad the DCT is, try to learn about your DCT. Don't be an a$$ with a large mouth, because you might end up crying all alone infront of your desktop. And I am sure you can do better than this.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #403
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Well, are you sure you read what I said last time ? I said you should drive the DCT a bit "harder" THE FIRST 1000 miles, to give it the chance of a proper "break in".

After these first 1000 miles, you can do whatever you want whenever your car has a TCM/PCM reflash. Ask your dealer about what to do if you are unsure (be sure it is a knowledgeable one, though). When I asked mine after they've done the last TSB (not this FSA), they said it was no need to drive different from what I did, because they've done it for me with the "clutch adaptive learning procedure". And my DCT was already broke in. Yes, my car had already 13000 km on board at the time. Now I am at 20500 km and enjoy it every minute.
So, before claming all over this forum how you are the mighty-know-everything about how bad the DCT is, try to learn about your DCT. Don't be an a$$ with a large mouth, because you might end up crying all alone infront of your desktop. And I am sure you can do better than this.
reflash and then drive cycle 10 min of driveing not 1000 miles
follow directions still maybe for =d wants to change my clutch if it doesnt get beter dude
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #404
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl2012 View Post
all i can say is just keep driving it it has good days bad days but overall it dose work in deed. you want the good mpg dont worry about clicking shutter just drive it if you get it on a good day its a butt kicken 4 banger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits, except for some high end cars like BMWs and Cadillacs. It means learning the transmission shift and clutch thresholds, and the DCT in the Focus DEFINITELY does this:

"NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
The press release I provided the link to specifically says it "recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly..."
Quote:
If this is real, then the ones complaining about the DCT becoming worse in time, should look more into their own driving style and not the DCT. Because as presented in the article you mention, the DCT has a predifined baseline then changes /'learns' as the driver uses it in trafic. So, if it runs worse than at the begining, it is because of the driving style the driver uses. And this is something really bad if the DCT acts like this, if you want my opinion. Because it implies that two persons who drive the same car, one Agressive and one Relaxed, will never be happy with it. I don't think Ford is THAT out of touch with the reality.
But again, as far as I know, there is no need to do an adaptive learning after this FAS. And this point I was discussing about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Dealer service departments sure think it has adaptive learning. I was told when it was new and after 12B37 that a 1,000 mile "learning" period should be expected. One would think they would know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
ATC applies to "conventional" automatics. For example, this is from a 2010 Mustang owner's manual:

This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy.
This Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy offers the optimal transmission operation and shift quality.
Quote:
I did, but nothing linking without a doubt the Focus 2012 DCT to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I know. But there's nothing that says it isn't. I personally don't know either way, just putting it out there.

Neomi or Thomas, can you find out for us from Ford engineering???
Hey all -

I'm on it! The 2012 Focus does feature an adaptive learning process. It makes the transmission "customizable" to individual vehicles for better performance as well as fuel economy.

I hope this helps just a bit. I'll try to see if I can find a link in the coming days.

Later,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #405
FordService
Official Ford Rep

The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37 is VIN specific. If you haven't received a letter, then it won't apply to your car. If you have, please schedule an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible. Coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have a service action performed on a timely basis can be affected.

To all customers which have received the letter and had 12B37 completed: If you're still experiencing issues (harsh shifting, noises, gears skipping, etc.), please send me a PM with your VIN & a brief description of your issue(s). I'll properly document this and forward to the correct rep as a group.

I'm here for you guys; I'm a Focus owner as well. While I haven't experienced any issues thus far, I completely understand the reliability and safety feedback you all have posted.

Respectfully,

Thomas

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #406
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey all -

I'm on it! The 2012 Focus does feature an adaptive learning process. It makes the transmission "customizable" to individual vehicles for better performance as well as fuel economy.

I hope this helps just a bit. I'll try to see if I can find a link in the coming days.

Later,

Thomas
Thanks Thomas. I'd really like to read something about the adaptive learning process of FF 2012.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #407
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks Thomas. I'd really like to read something about the adaptive learning process of FF 2012.
Yup me too I'd like to read about it as I have some questions about it?

What does it learn?

For how long does it learn? (time or Km?)

What if you change your driving style (or change drivers)?

Is it possible to self re-enable the ''leaning'' process? (other than going to the dealer ?)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #408
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37 is VIN specific. If you haven't received a letter, then it won't apply to your car.
There are a certain number of VINs that will not receive a letter, but DO require the update. My Focus was one of them, and there were at least a few others on the forum in the same situation.

You can check http://www.etis.ford.com/ and/or visit your dealer and have them enter your VIN into their system to see if you need the update.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #409
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37 is VIN specific. If you haven't received a letter, then it won't apply to your car. If you have, please schedule an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible. Coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have a service action performed on a timely basis can be affected.

To all customers which have received the letter and had 12B37 completed: If you're still experiencing issues (harsh shifting, noises, gears skipping, etc.), please send me a PM with your VIN & a brief description of your issue(s). I'll properly document this and forward to the correct rep as a group.

I'm here for you guys; I'm a Focus owner as well. While I haven't experienced any issues thus far, I completely understand the reliability and safety feedback you all have posted.

Respectfully,

Thomas
Those with troublesome DCTs please take a look at the second paragraph of Thomas' post. If yours isn't working right after 12B37, PM your symptoms to him.

Rather than communicate your problems back through the dealer network, I believe Thomas will summarize the issues and provide to Ford engineering. This could be a great way for our group to help Ford identify what still isn't working right. Good things could result for all.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #410
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
Yup me too I'd like to read about it as I have some questions about it...
VOLDAR and Kaaru -

I your "thanks" with open arms! I'll do the research on my end and post any findings next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
There are a certain number of VINs that will not receive a letter, but DO require the update. My Focus was one of them, and there were at least a few others on the forum in the same situation.

You can check http://www.etis.ford.com/ and/or visit your dealer and have them enter your VIN into their system to see if you need the update.
Rememo -

Yes, this is what I meant! I'll remember to edit my posts sometimes. By the way, thanks for the link. Ford Owner will also come in handy: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten.../Page/HomePage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Those with troublesome DCTs please take a look at the second paragraph of Thomas' post. If yours isn't working right after 12B37, PM your symptoms to him.

Rather than communicate your problems back through the dealer network, I believe Thomas will summarize the issues and provide to Ford engineering. This could be a great way for our group to help Ford identify what still isn't working right. Good things could result for all.
dan50 -

I'll need the VIN as well. This way, our team can keep a tally and look into each specific vehicle.

I'm excited to see how many PMs I'll receive! I may need to make more room in my inbox.

Cordially,

Thomas

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->