Remote Start and "Open Door Shut Off" - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #71
Cserban
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98360
Location: Dallas, TX
What I Drive: 2012 white Focus SE

Posts: 33
FF Reputation: 1 Cserban Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You're lucky, I have some a-holes for a dealership.
I called to ask for the remote starter price and they told me $350.00 in parts, When I told them the MSRP is $289.00 they lowered it but bumped up the labor charge.
I decided I will buy it and install it myself.
Let me know how you like yours.
Cserban is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #72
Kgodreau
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100248
Location: Courtenay, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

Posts: 3
FF Reputation: 1 Kgodreau Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazama View Post
Same story.. purchased a 2012 Ti with dealer installed Remote Start. Engine turned off as soon as I touched the door handle (keyless). I found the remote start module tucked up behind my glove box accessible through the glove box inner back side. The Program Button was obvious and mounted right beside the module along side the red LED.

Option Bank 2 only had 6 options settings when I scrolled through with the brake pedal. I'm guessing some of us have different firmware or something. After playing around a bit, this is how it now functions:

-Remote starts with 2 sec hold
-Honks 4 times on start up and door remain locked to anyone without the fob
-Car DOES NOT shut off when I touch handle or open the door. Nice!

Settings:
Option 1: LED Off
Option 2: LED Off
Option 3: LED On
Option 4: LED On
Option 5: LED On
Option 6: LED On

The 4 honks are annoying. Still trying to figure that out. I should mention that using the pdf I downloaded here, from start to finish it took me 10 min to get this figured out. The dealership said it would charge me 1 hour labour and $130-150 to do the same thing. Oh did I mention I'm an engineer for Ford? And that I purchased the car on A-plan? If this is how dealerships treat their own... rant rant... I'll pipe down now.

If anyone with a 6 option Bank 2 figures out how to set it up so it doesn't honk AND without restart needed.. please post the settings.
Was anyone able to have a setup without the 4 honks yet?
Kgodreau is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #73
Yamazama
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 94122
Location: Ancaster, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Ti 18"

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 Yamazama Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Solution for 2012 Focus Titanium - Shut off issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgodreau View Post
Was anyone able to have a setup without the 4 honks yet?
The dealer installed remote start kit for the 2012 Focus is unique. This information probably won't transfer over exactly to other cars but the menu access & navigation will be the same. I have only tested this on a fully loaded 2012 titanium, auto, with push-button start & MyKey. I have a uni-directional remote start, not the bi-directional.

This is combination of Option Bank settings (LED on or off) required to achieve:

-No honk at start
-No shut off when handle is touched or if the door or liftgate are opened.
-15 min run time
-2.5 sec hold on button to start


Menu Description:


Option Bank 1 - 4 chirps
Option 1: Tach Learn (N/A)= OFF
Option 2: Door Ajar Polarity(On=pos; Off=Neg) = OFF
Option 3: Key in sense Polarity (On=pos; Off=Neg) = ON
Option 4: Extended Horn Output (On=3x horn output; Off=Normal horn ouput) = OFF

Option Bank 2 - 5 chirps
Option 1: Blind Crank of Tach Mode (On=blind crank; Off=Tach Mode) = OFF
Option 2: Crank Time (On=1sec; Off=8sec) = ON
Option 3: Run Time (On=15min; Off=10min) = ON
Option 4: Start Activation (On=hold 2.5 seconds; Off=double press button) = ON
Option 5: Diesel Timer (On=30sec crank delay; Off=No Delay)= OFF
Option 6: Hon on Start (On=honk confirmation: Off=No honk) = OFF

The key to the no horn/no shutoff combo is changing Bank 2 Option 1 to OFF in combination with Bank 1 Option 4 to OFF. If you leave Bank 1 Option 4 ON it will chirp 4 times at start up but not shut off on door opening. You can toggle the other options to suit your prefs. Those 4 chirps are just the system telling you that your tach needs to be programmed because you've changed Bank 2 Option 1 to Tach Mode (which it isn't) so it expects a signal between the remote start module and the engine. There is no connection in this case, hence the error chirps. I am not sure at all why this works. I'm uncertain as to why Tach Mode seems to cancel the auto shut off. If you make a mistake you can always reset the settings to default by holding the transmitter button for 3-4 seconds while in menu mode at any time. Next, change Bank 2 Option 1 to ON, and you should be at your factory installed settings.

Please post your experiences.
Yamazama
Yamazama is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #74
TiPilot
Focus Addict
 
TiPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93667
Location: Dayton, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unfortunately I can't even find the LED on mine - the installer must've left it somewhere behind the glovebox. The install procedure has you install the glovebox, then do the programming, leaving the LED visible. Looks like my installer just left the glovebox out when he programmed it. So, long story short, unless I completely remove the glovebox (which I don't really want to do...) it doesn't look like I'll be able to re-program mine and report back.
__________________
2012 Focus Ti Hatch | Ingot Silver | 401A, Nav, Winter Pkg, Moon Roof, Parking Tech. Pkg

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
TiPilot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #75
choyrl
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
choyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99906
Location: Lone Tree, CO
What I Drive: 97 MustangGT,08 Corvette,12 FocusTi

Posts: 47
FF Reputation: 1 choyrl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazama View Post
The dealer installed remote start kit for the 2012 Focus is unique. This information probably won't transfer over exactly to other cars but the menu access & navigation will be the same. I have only tested this on a fully loaded 2012 titanium, auto, with push-button start & MyKey. I have a uni-directional remote start, not the bi-directional.

This is combination of Option Bank settings (LED on or off) required to achieve:

-No honk at start
-No shut off when handle is touched or if the door or liftgate are opened.
-15 min run time
-2.5 sec hold on button to start


Menu Description:


Option Bank 1 - 4 chirps
Option 1: Tach Learn (N/A)= OFF
Option 2: Door Ajar Polarity(On=pos; Off=Neg) = OFF
Option 3: Key in sense Polarity (On=pos; Off=Neg) = ON
Option 4: Extended Horn Output (On=3x horn output; Off=Normal horn ouput) = OFF

Option Bank 2 - 5 chirps
Option 1: Blind Crank of Tach Mode (On=blind crank; Off=Tach Mode) = OFF
Option 2: Crank Time (On=1sec; Off=8sec) = ON
Option 3: Run Time (On=15min; Off=10min) = ON
Option 4: Start Activation (On=hold 2.5 seconds; Off=double press button) = ON
Option 5: Diesel Timer (On=30sec crank delay; Off=No Delay)= OFF
Option 6: Hon on Start (On=honk confirmation: Off=No honk) = OFF

The key to the no horn/no shutoff combo is changing Bank 2 Option 1 to OFF in combination with Bank 1 Option 4 to OFF. If you leave Bank 1 Option 4 ON it will chirp 4 times at start up but not shut off on door opening. You can toggle the other options to suit your prefs. Those 4 chirps are just the system telling you that your tach needs to be programmed because you've changed Bank 2 Option 1 to Tach Mode (which it isn't) so it expects a signal between the remote start module and the engine. There is no connection in this case, hence the error chirps. I am not sure at all why this works. I'm uncertain as to why Tach Mode seems to cancel the auto shut off. If you make a mistake you can always reset the settings to default by holding the transmitter button for 3-4 seconds while in menu mode at any time. Next, change Bank 2 Option 1 to ON, and you should be at your factory installed settings.

Please post your experiences.
Yamazama
Sorry for a basic question....What is the difference btw the uni vs bi-directional remote start? Is it worth to pay the price difference if not yet installed or do a complete remove and replace after the dealer-installed remote start? Or what is the big advantage with the bi-directional remote start?

Thanks.
choyrl is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #76
choyrl
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
choyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99906
Location: Lone Tree, CO
What I Drive: 97 MustangGT,08 Corvette,12 FocusTi

Posts: 47
FF Reputation: 1 choyrl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
I didn't know either until I read this post yesterday. Called the dealership today and was told they had never heard of an OEM bi-directional system. Called the dealer's contracted installer and was told the same thing. The contractor called their parts vendor and was told the bi-directional system is not available on 2012 Focus w/push start.

I almost gave up but tried calling 1-800-FORDKEY. The agent confirmed the bi-directional system IS available and the part # is CM5Z-19G364-D. Gave the part# to the installer and they were able to find it. They offered to swap it in for $200 (parts+labor). I thought it was a little steep because the price difference is only $72 and they would only need to change the wiring harness. Called the dealer again for help getting the price down. Then the installer called me saying the dealer was willing to pay $125 for labor and I just need to pay $75. It's been a week since I paid for and took delivery of my car. They did this just to make me happy. The way they do business really changed my view of car salesmen.
So how do you like the bi-directional remote start?

I am picking my new '12 Ti this week and the standard remote start was installed by the dealer yesterday and my sale consultant was not able to tell me what type of a remote start was installed. In any case, if it is a uni-directional, it's too late for me to change it out now without a complete system change out. Anyway, I hope the remote start they installed will work well on my new Ti.
choyrl is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #77
treoless
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96715
Location: Nashua, NH
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 99
FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choyrl View Post
So how do you like the bi-directional remote start?

I am picking my new '12 Ti this week and the standard remote start was installed by the dealer yesterday and my sale consultant was not able to tell me what type of a remote start was installed. In any case, if it is a uni-directional, it's too late for me to change it out now without a complete system change out. Anyway, I hope the remote start they installed will work well on my new Ti.
I like it a lot. It beeps twice after the car has started successfully and a green LED blinks while the car is running. The bi-directional system comes with only one remote though.
treoless is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #78
choyrl
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
choyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99906
Location: Lone Tree, CO
What I Drive: 97 MustangGT,08 Corvette,12 FocusTi

Posts: 47
FF Reputation: 1 choyrl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
I like it a lot. It beeps twice after the car has started successfully and a green LED blinks while the car is running. The bi-directional system comes with only one remote though.
I fwd'd the part # you quoted to my sales consultant and she was going to check if that matched what was installed on my car today. She did not get back to me today.

I'm hoping since my Ti was built is so close to the new 2013 model year which supposed to have the bi-directional remote start as standard on the Ti, that Ford may have gone to shipping the bi-directional remote to the dealer to be installed on my Focus. The build date of my 2012 Focus is 05/27/12. Excite to delivery this Friday.
choyrl is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #79
treoless
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96715
Location: Nashua, NH
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 99
FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choyrl View Post
I fwd'd the part # you quoted to my sales consultant and she was going to check if that matched what was installed on my car today. She did not get back to me today.

I'm hoping since my Ti was built is so close to the new 2013 model year which supposed to have the bi-directional remote start as standard on the Ti, that Ford may have gone to shipping the bi-directional remote to the dealer to be installed on my Focus. The build date of my 2012 Focus is 05/27/12. Excite to delivery this Friday.
Just ask her what the remote looks like. The bi-directional has a small antenna. Enjoy your new ride!



treoless is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #80
choyrl
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
choyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99906
Location: Lone Tree, CO
What I Drive: 97 MustangGT,08 Corvette,12 FocusTi

Posts: 47
FF Reputation: 1 choyrl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
Just ask her what the remote looks like. The bi-directional has a small antenna. Enjoy your new ride!



So other than the advantage of the "2-way" communication of a bi-directional system, i.e., receiving a confirmation feedback of your commands, do you not have the annoyances and quirkiness of the uni-directional remote that other folks seemed to be bothered by as shown in this posting?

To ask the question differently to everyone who had reprogrammed their uni-directional system, are you happy now with the re-programmed uni remote start? Is the system working the way it should be without sacrificing other build-in functions of a "push button" start Titanium? Thanks.
choyrl is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.