TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 38 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #371
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The transmission learns based on your driving habits in the first 1K miles or so. If you push it through a bunch of different scenario's (D, S, S+} and change it up often, it should be pretty good. Other Focus owners can attest to how my transmission acts superb.

Edited for kindergarten grammar. Stupid phone.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161

Last edited by dyn085; 06-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #372
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This ^^
This 12B37 is my second reflash of the tranny software. The first time I had the software re-installed, I drove my car in a ''conservative'' way when it was given back to me. I didnt see any real difference in the behavior of the tranny and to be honest, at that time, I still found it to be a bit jerky and unresponsive. However, after doing 12b37, I followed some of the suggestion left here and there in this forum and drove my car in a more ''sporty'' way once it was given back to me. I must admit, like I said before in many other posts, that my car now behave in a more responsive, fun and peppy way. The fuel economy is still there when I hit the highway and in city aswell, if I dont drive like an maniac :)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #373
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, please. I didn't say everything is perfect, I said that I didn't see a revert to what it was before the update. And I hardly can imagine this, when we are talking about a change in the program of the PCM and TCM. Can you explain how something that's been programmed to act different, can be reverted to something that doesn't exist anymore? It's like saying "I updated to MSOffice 2007, but after a while, it reverted to MSOffice 2003". Doesn't make sense for me. But maybe it's just me.
Google "adaptive learning"
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #374
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
The transmission learns based on your driving habits in the first 1K miles or so. If you push it through a bunch of different scenario's (D, S, S+} and change it up often, it should be pottery good. Other Focus owners can attest to how well my transmission acts superb.
As far as I know, there is no need to do the 'learning procedure' after the transmission had this FSA. The 'transmission learning' has nothing to do with the way you or me drive, but with its mechanical components. Because it does not shift different because of the styles of driving. At least this is what I understand by "DCT learning" process. I don't know about a car who's so capable to learn to shift gears only from how hard or how light a driver presses the acceleration pedal. And usually, after a Full reset of the DCT, this one has to learn again its components, this is why it is a bit "harsh" at the begining and then become "smoother" in time and the number of miles. Not the other way arround, as you suggest. But hey, I might be wrong.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #375
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
As far as I know, there is no need to do the 'learning procedure' after the transmission had this FSA. The 'transmission learning' has nothing to do with the way you or me drive, but with its mechanical components. Because it does not shift different because of the styles of driving. At least this is what I understand by "DCT learning" process. I don't know about a car who's so capable to learn to shift gears only from how hard or how light a driver presses the acceleration pedal. And usually, after a reset of the DCT, this one has to learn again its components, this is why it is a bit "harsh" at the begining and then become "smoother" in time and the number of miles. Not the other way arround, as you suggest. But hey, I might be wrong.
Are you sure about that?

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #376
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedG View Post
I had 12B37 done about a week and a half ago on my SFE (no Sport mode of MFT). I've driven about 500-600 miles since. What I've noticed is the low-speed, low-rpm shudder is gone and shift points on gears 1-3 are much improved. Also, the hill holder brakes do engage nicely. Although it does seem to be at the cost of high speed shifting. I've noticed that if I have to get on the gas for highway merging or if I have to make a quick maneuver, the transmission isn't as responsive or smooth. It's almost like it takes longer for the tranny to make up its mind what it wants to do. I've driven stick shifts for the last 20+ years. What I'd like to see is a chart of the gear / RPM shift points before and after the software update. I'm used to getting RPM shift point recommendations in the owners manual on a new vehicle when I get a manual tranny, so this info has got to be out there somewhere.

Who knows, maybe it's just me.
FrostedG -

So, has 12B37 been successful for you? The RPM shift points with this Customer Satisfaction Program is a good idea. If you haven't talked to your dealer about it, please post it here for others to share too: http://Social.Ford.com/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Ouch... that is the complete opposite of my experience with the update, and many other experiences I've read about. Usually the tranny responds much faster and with less user input than before the update. Maybe they only said they did the update...

Hopefully things will improve for you. It's frustrating having to deal with bad shift points.
Rememo -

Correct; it addresses transmission shift quality issues in general. Your dealer idea is scary, to say the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
Noemi, I do my milage long hand. The readout on the display never gives me acruate results. My 2nd grade math of milage & gallons works perfect every time
jbird1955 -

Apologies if I haven't introduced myself. I'll be taking over as the new Ford rep on these boards. It's nice to type to you! By the way, I love doing it old school too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphoto View Post
Got mine done 2 days ago and initial impressions are:
Shuttering and vibrations at low gears are eliminated. Seems to be a bit more power and certainly smoother shifting when starting from zero. Shifting seems tighter. Not as much rolling backwards when letting off the brake.
I'm happy. Based on some jerks on this board, I thought the shuttering, noise and vibrations from the transmission were because I "didn't know how to drive" - - amazing what they can fix that now with a TSB update, isn't it? [/vindicated]
mattphoto -

I'm glad this program has been a success for you! How often do you use "S" mode, if you have it?

Quote:
I was pretty surprised to find out how many people 'knew' how the DCT was supposed to shift...
Quote:
The transmission learns based on your driving habits in the first 1K miles or so. If you push it through a bunch of different scenario's (D, S, S+} and change it up often, it should be pottery good. Other Focus owners can attest to how well my transmission acts superb.
dyn085 -

These type of expectations are always natural. We're trying to make the gear changes seamless as possible. Your transmission advice is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
No grinding is not normal
allyy -

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
Well my car seems to have "reverted", and the transmission is performing poorly again. I don't understand how the car gets worse over time.The car almost literally feels like it is "jumping", or "lurching" forward with each shift. I also swear to god that outside air temperature affects shifting, as it seems to get worse the hotter it is outside.
JesseE1981 -

I'd like to send details to your Customer Service Manager for review. Please send me a message including your VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
Same as all the previous transmissions updates then...works great at first and then reverts back to previous behavior
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
No you're definitely right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission. Ford just releases a new update for it every few months just for the fun of it.
AmishGuy91 -

This isn't normal for any update. We intend it to work correctly for the life of the car. Your last sentence made me chuckle.

To all members, please reach me by PM if your Focus is still experiencing harsh shifts after 12B37 has been completed.

Kind regards,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #377
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You are correct on the 1k miles. My dealership reset my car after the update, though it isn't required (had other issues). I would think that the learning process does have something to do with how it's driven just based on other members' feedback.
My assumption is that it learns on trial and error, but I don't know 100%. My car didn't shift 'hard', just kinda retarded. I don't mean to imply otherwise.
I just re-read my previous post, I sound like a moron. Thanks, Swype. Stupid phone.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #378
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
If this is real, then the ones complaining about the DCT becoming worse in time, should look more into their own driving style and not the DCT. Because as presented in the article you mention, the DCT has a predifined baseline then changes /'learns' as the driver uses it in trafic. So, if it runs worse than at the begining, it is because of the driving style the driver uses. And this is something really bad if the DCT acts like this, if you want my opinion. Because it implies that two persons who drive the same car, one Agressive and one Relaxed, will never be happy with it. I don't think Ford is THAT out of touch with the reality.
But again, as far as I know, there is no need to do an adaptive learning after this FAS. And this point I was discussing about.

P.S. Does the DCT have ATC?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #379
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
man i just came back from a 2000 mile trip before i started it was shifting bad from 1 to 2 after trip its like wow, nice even hot please stay like that, and was getting 41 mpg.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #380
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Pretty well all automatics now are adaptive, but most are not the kind that learn the drivers habits. That Ford article stated: "Available on many North American vehicles", but not neccessarily the Focus. They would probably use it in advertising if it did that.

A TSB on the Focus stated "NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY". It doesn't say anything about the user driving habits, and all the tech literature on the DCT I've read suggests it doesn't apply to driving habits.

Since driving habits vary from user to user, that may be more likely for high end models like Licolns which have user stored profiles as a standard feature.

Bookmarks & Social Networks