2012 Focus - Add NAV after the fact? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #21
thelongone13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95644
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 thelongone13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a feeling you'll be going this route...

A Ford Focus driver with ADD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99623
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Mrlandy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by txskeets View Post
Wondering if anyone could answer this. I have a new 2012 Focus SEL with MyFord Touch and no on screen NAV. Curious if this could be added after the fact. From some reading online it I see things that say all I would need is the SD card from Ford to go in the SD Card reader. Ford's official response on syncmyride.com is that the car has to be built with on screen NAV and cant be added after the fact. I dont buy the response 100%. The car already has NAV through Sync Services, just no on screen. If the car already has MFT and the SD slot to put the car in, what else would the car have to be built with to add on screen NAV to the existing MFT setup?
I just added nav to my 2012 focus titanium last night. I had the turn by turn sync services and it was terrible. I bought a full nav unit on ebay for $500 from a wreced titanium and installed it in my car. It came right up, all the connections were identical, as a matter of fact, the units loaded identical as well. This makes me think a software update for nav is possible. I thought the new unit may be tied to vin, but it wasn't. I got lucky. I now also have the ability to add a backup camera. I am a happy camper since everyting worked.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #23
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlandy View Post
I just added nav to my 2012 focus titanium last night. I had the turn by turn sync services and it was terrible. I bought a full nav unit on ebay for $500 from a wreced titanium and installed it in my car. It came right up, all the connections were identical, as a matter of fact, the units loaded identical as well. This makes me think a software update for nav is possible. I thought the new unit may be tied to vin, but it wasn't. I got lucky. I now also have the ability to add a backup camera. I am a happy camper since everyting worked.
Very interesting. Can you link the ebay item? Got pics? I'd like to see exactly what you bought.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #24
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yes, here is the auction I won. I took a huge gamble in trying this, but it paid off in spades. The guy I bought it from also included the A3 card update, still sealed in the box.

Here's the auction I won: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180896986329...84.m1423.l2649
Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Were you able to compare any label info on the backs of the units? That might go a long way towards telling us if it's a hardware or software issue.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I didn't see any differences between the units. I can send pictures of the one I pulled out, I didn't think to take pictures of the back of the full nav unit. I compared them closely and they literally look identical down to the made in mexico stickler on the front under the screen.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlandy View Post
I didn't see any differences between the units. I can send pictures of the one I pulled out, I didn't think to take pictures of the back of the full nav unit. I compared them closely and they literally look identical down to the made in mexico stickler on the front under the screen.
I was just curious. If they have identical part numbers, that tells me it's a software issue. If the part numbers were different, then that tells me there may be a hardware difference.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
It all has to do with the original loaded software on the APIM that is pictured on the back of the unit you just bought. Hardware is all exactly the same.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It all has to do with the original loaded software on the APIM that is pictured on the back of the unit you just bought. Hardware is all exactly the same.
Can the ROM on the APIM be flashed like the CMOS in my PC? That's a hack I could use...
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 08-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
pandora677
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102176
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 pandora677 Good Standing Member
I bought a 2012 ford focus about a month ago and it is equipped with my ford touch, but it does not have the on screen navigation. Instead it has the sync services navigation, which has proven to be utterly useless. It can take up 30 minutes from the time I request directions until they get sent to the car, and if you take a wrong turn, the system is not able to re-route you. This wouldn't be a big deal if I were still able to use the google maps navigation on my droid razr maxx, but when the phone is synced with the car, the car disables the turn by turn audio of the google maps. Additionally, my text messages don't come through my car anymore (this feature only worked for about a day), so I paid for this my ford touch unit because I thought it would make everything seemless for me, and instead it has made my life worse. If i want turn by turn directions I need to un-sync the phone from the car which defeats the purpose of having the my ford touch in the first place. Can someone please help me... this stupid car was way too expensive for none of this to work...it makes me want to cry.

Bookmarks & Social Networks