Anyone upgraded their Sony 10-speaker stereo? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post

There HAS to be something wrong with your stereo. If I turn my volume up to where the little volume display is about a quarter of the way "full", my ears start bleeding...
I agree with you. I didn't, yet, run it to "full" because I think the windshield would "pop out" if I did it and there is no window down or door open. And yes, my wife says I had to go check my ears, so....
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
I turn mine all the way up... not loud enough.

I'm gonna look into the wiring this weekend for modification

Sent from my Atrix 4G
Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Ti2012
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99307
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Ti2012 Good Standing Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with mine, and compared to most factory systems, it IS loud. Just that loud to me is front stage at an Ozzy concert.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
deadknite
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95730
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 deadknite Good Standing Member
Currently upgrading my Sony 10 speaker
Currently:
Audison bit one processor ( keeps stock mft but way better then any after market head unit)
Audison SR4 amp
Focal ps 165 mid/tweets in the front

That all iv done for now and its 4 times louder than stock and a wider range of sound, well worth the money in my opinion . I plan on compeating my car in a sound quality competition next month with the current set up after a bit more tuning is done with the bit one.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Ti2012
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99307
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Ti2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadknite View Post
Currently upgrading my Sony 10 speaker
Currently:
Audison bit one processor ( keeps stock mft but way better then any after market head unit)
Audison SR4 amp
Focal ps 165 mid/tweets in the front

That all iv done for now and its 4 times louder than stock and a wider range of sound, well worth the money in my opinion . I plan on compeating my car in a sound quality competition next month with the current set up after a bit more tuning is done with the bit one.
You got my curiosity peaked. Uh oh. Where did you mount the processor? I have been wondering if everything was low level back to the sony amp, and what kind of mess was behind the head unit.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
deadknite
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95730
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 deadknite Good Standing Member
I had it installed so I didn't see behind the head unit. As for the processor it was going to be the lower end bit ten but it wasn't able to connect to some part of the factory gear so I bumped up to the bit one. and its located under the front passenger seat , as for the vent there it was moved upward so that it would still work and wouldn't blow directly on the processor. As for all the wiring its running low down on the passenger side I believe
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:

I do think the volume needs more detents, since it kind of goes from too quiet, to a bit loud, to "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!"
I find the granularity of the 10 speaker system volume control very annoying. Step 4 on the bar graph is too quiet and step 5 is too loud. I’m thinking this is because they added the amp to the 4 speaker output lines of the base audio processor, and the amp and all its extra speakers has significant gain, which means the volume of the audio processor has to be turned way down to make the same sound pressure level. That puts it into a rather ‘chunky’ low end of the volume control.

Since the system has tons more power than I will even need, I was thinking of making an attenuator pad for the 10 speaker outputs to move the volume control closer to the middle, and hopefully in that range each step is closer to 1 dB than 3 dB.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti2012 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with mine, and compared to most factory systems, it IS loud. Just that loud to me is front stage at an Ozzy concert.
+ 1 . I too think this is by far the best sound system in a car I had the pleasure to listen to. Being affected by tinnitus, I now tend to be carefull about my ears, but hey, I knock myself out once in a while with some Rammstein :)

But back on topic...no upgrade for me in the future.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:

There HAS to be something wrong with your stereo. If I turn my volume up to where the little volume display is about a quarter of the way "full", my ears start bleeding.

I do think the volume needs more detents, since it kind of goes from too quiet, to a bit loud, to "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!"
This.

At least on FM, mine reaches deafening levels by the time it's at 50% or so. I do have to turn it a bit higher (for the same volume) on USB or Bluetooth, though.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Full volume is ridiculous. When my car did the crazy booming sound that MFT sometimes does (Full volume, all bass) people in the house came outside to see what the loud noise was. If you can drive around like that you should either see an audiologist because you're going deaf or Ford because your system is broken.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.

Bookmarks & Social Networks