Replaced Head - Now a couple issues - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
wiredFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99281
What I Drive: 2001 Focus SE Auto

FF Reputation: 1 wiredFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was going to tell you the lifters on the car are hard because they have oil in them.... once the new lifters are in and the engine is primed, they should be stiff too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #22
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
At least it comes with a 1 year warranty. I'm curious to see the progress to see how this pans out. I was going to buy a used head from the junk yard and have it rebuilt. I'd like to see if this head is worth it.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99008
What I Drive: 2001, Black, Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 IA_Chiefs_fan Good Standing Member
Replaced all lifters. Noise is still present. I believe it is cylinder 1. A buddy is going t look at it for me today.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

My buddy swapped out rocker arms but I still have a noise. How long should it take the newly installed lifters to be primed?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
wiredFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

do they feel hard? like the last ones? They should prime as soon as oil starts flowing thru the engine. So they should already be primed if you have started it.

Sounds like from the backfire, it could be misfiring. You could try and run some premium fuel thru it, to see if the noise is reduced or gone. Make sure the plugs are the right ones and still look good. The key here is to continue to narrow the problem down.

Last edited by wiredFocus; 06-14-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: new question
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredFocus View Post
do they feel hard? like the last ones? They should prime as soon as oil starts flowing thru the engine. So they should already be primed if you have started it.

Sounds like from the backfire, it could be misfiring. You could try and run some premium fuel thru it, to see if the noise is reduced or gone. Make sure the plugs are the right ones and still look good. The key here is to continue to narrow the problem down.
I'll pull the cover again tonight to see if they feel hard. Also, another buddy told me to make sure it isn't an exhaust leak. He said he's never heard one that sounded quite like my car does, but he's heard some leaks before that he could have sworn were valve train issues. I'll try to check both tonight.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

It is fixed. The whole time it was an exhaust leak. It didn't sound like any exhaust leak I had ever heard though, and multiple mechanics had listened to the noise as well and thought it had to be something in the head. Anyway, we pulled the manifold gasket out and it had some discoloration where it had been leaking.

I bought a new gasket from CarQuest and it was significantly thicker around the ports than the gasket that came with the kit I bought.

So anyway, as soon as we replaced the gasket and torqued the bolts, NO MORE NOISE!!!!!

Keep in mind I did this proactively, so I was really frustrated when I thought I introduced an issue that hadn't existed before. Thanks for all your feedback throughout. Great forum!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
What brand was the gasket that was leaking? - not the original reused? Glad to hear the problem is solved. You must post often and provide testimony on the new aftermarket head for anyone that is considering it vs. a reworked head.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #29
wiredFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I hope you get a lot of miles out of that engine. Glad to hear your noise is gone.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
What brand was the gasket that was leaking? - not the original reused? Glad to hear the problem is solved. You must post often and provide testimony on the new aftermarket head for anyone that is considering it vs. a reworked head.
I don't know what brand the gaskets were. I bought gaskets and bolts from the same cylinder head seller. I no longer have the packaging to determine brand, sorry. I'll provide updates moving forward.

Bookmarks & Social Networks