CAI vs k&n drop in - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
CAI vs k&n drop in

Is the extra $200 or so you pay for an intake over the drop in filter really worth it? I miss the $50 eBay intakes from the good old days on my older mustangs. I made an intake for my 5.4 for about $12. The price for these steeda and k&n intakes just blows my mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The nay-sayers disagree, but I dynoed my K&N drop in with a 11hp increase over the OEM filter. For $50, I'm pretty sure that this is what will stay in my car. Most of the other intakes all use the same small hole that the stock box uses, so outside of finding another way to introduce more cool air (venison mod), I think that ask the numbers retail be relatively similar.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
Is the extra $200 or so you pay for an intake over the drop in filter really worth it? I miss the $50 eBay intakes from the good old days on my older mustangs. I made an intake for my 5.4 for about $12. The price for these steeda and k&n intakes just blows my mind.
Until true tuning is available for these cars, I'm inclined to say the answer is "NO".

I'll be doing the newmission mod on a drop in K&N. dyn085 just dyno'd his 12 with 93octane and a K&N drop in. He base lined on an OEM filter before the K&N pulls. He shows impressive gains, about the same as the Steeda CAI, for just the price of a drop-in.

For exhaust, it'll either be the FRPP or Borla. I need to hear the FSWerks Stealth in person before I can add it to the list.

EDIT: damn you Duane!
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Last edited by TiStick; 06-17-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: duane beat me
Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post

Lol, my bad. I was just taking a break from de-modding the wheels. Stillwaitong on my graphs for the dyno runs

Off topic-did you gey the in-channels yet? I am thinking of pulling the trigger...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
IMO, any intake kit that still reuses the stock MAF housing, has no power benefit over just a drop in filter. The stock housing has a big step down lip where the filter slips on, and that's the major restriction.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
IMO, any intake kit that still reuses the stock MAF housing, has no power benefit over just a drop in filter. The stock housing has a big step down lip where the filter slips on, and that's the major restriction.
Thank you!!!!! I've been saying the same thing in the k&n and Steeda's intake. For some reason people think the smoot tube after the MAF is more important then changing the MAF housing in steeda's kit
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
Thank you!!!!! I've been saying the same thing in the k&n and Steeda's intake. For some reason people think the smoot tube after the MAF is more important then changing the MAF housing in steeda's kit
I'm sure the smooth tube does a little, but air doesn't like to turn, and our filter to TB angles are horrible on this car.

I plan to remove the step down lip on my housing.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
nosmokingbandit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66954
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-Door, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 3 nosmokingbandit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
The nay-sayers disagree, but I dynoed my K&N drop in with a 11hp increase over the OEM filter. For $50, I'm pretty sure that this is what will stay in my car. Most of the other intakes all use the same small hole that the stock box uses, so outside of finding another way to introduce more cool air (venison mod), I think that ask the numbers retail be relatively similar.

Just my opinion.
Is there any change in engine noise with the increased airflow in the K&N drop-in? I like how quiet my focus is, but i wouldnt mind a little more growl.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmokingbandit View Post
Is there any change in engine noise with the increased airflow in the K&N drop-in? I like how quiet my focus is, but i wouldnt mind a little more growl.
There's no change in noise if you keep the air box lid.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Until true tuning is available for these cars, I'm inclined to say the answer is "NO".

I'll be doing the newmission mod on a drop in K&N. dyn085 just dyno'd his 12 with 93octane and a K&N drop in. He base lined on an OEM filter before the K&N pulls. He shows impressive gains, about the same as the Steeda CAI, for just the price of a drop-in.

For exhaust, it'll either be the FRPP or Borla. I need to hear the FSWerks Stealth in person before I can add it to the list.

What is this newmission mod? I may not even touch the exhaust, I like how quiet my car is and don't see where dropping 600 on exhaust would be a good decision with my tight budget right now. I just graduated to big boy status and have real bills for the first time in my life so I have to see how my budget is going to treat me over the next few months.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->