DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 126 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #1251
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
As far as I know the actual gear change speeds have not been changed over the previous transmission software, at least if you drive normally. This has been mentioned previously through data comparisons from those with and without the latest software update.

However if you are constantly trying to hyper mile/ use too light a throttle position it does shift at or around 2000 rpm for fuel economy, however with a little bit more throttle pressure the car will shift from 2000-3000 rpm, a bit more than that up to 4500-5000, and at wot it will shift normally at redline, even when the PowerShift gearbox is left in Drive. Low emulates sport mode/ select shift automatic mode with the exception of not using 6th gear until you're going really quickly.

If you would please refrain from trying to scare people from getting the software update just because you aren't satisfied with it and try to stick to facts rather than corrupting them with your opinion that every single unit is a prototype and not fit for the road.

If I was not satisfied with the car I would either have never bought one in the first place, or tried to sell it as soon as possible.

P.S. I do not work for Ford, or any automobile manufacturer on a direct basis. I am however a mechanical engineer and appreciate the way it works like a manual transmission controlled by a computer which is what it is.

The Cruze 1.4L turbo with a 6 speed hydra-matic torque converter was a poor powertrain combination, at least for any spirited driving, it fell apart on the autocross course that GM had set up on their proving ground. That was one of the cars I had compared prior to ordering my Focus.

I have also driven the current generation of Corolla, and it felt solid enough if I didn't have anything but my 1994 Prizm to compare against, but it still uses a four speed automatic transmission, and it just felt numb and lifeless by comparison to the joy I get from driving my Focus.

The 2013 Dodge Dart is even heavier than the Cruze, sure its a little bit larger as well, bordering on being a mid sized car, but if you're not pushing it on a track it felt composed at normal speeds. The 1.4L multi air turbo is paired with either a 6 speed manual (which has the cheesiest chromed plastic shift knob), or a 6 speed DCT, the 9 speed automatic comes later. The base 2.0L i4 isn't as refined as the GDI engine in the Focus either, as its an evolution of the Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi i4 family that was initially built as a joint venture project but ended up with Chrysler taking majority control. Its not that its a bad car, its just not quite as much fun to drive, nor did it feel quite as well built as the Focus. Albeit it was nice that it actually had an available 6 speed manual, and that made it fun to try and rev match, drop a gear or two and spool up the turbo, but that would be bad for fuel economy. The cubby hole under the seat base was interesting though.

I tried several cars in this class and the Focus with the DCT is clearly at the front of the automatic pack for me. However had the normal non ST Focus been available with a 6 speed manual with a super tall double or possibly nominally triple over drive I might have taken that instead had it been available for my particular car. The DPS6 however is a good transmission that needed a few software tweaks to appease the general public who is used to the sloppy nature of a torque converter which can mask many of the vibrations and direct connections between the engine and the gearbox. The latest torque converter automatics are much better than they used to be as far as power and efficiency, however there is no denying that the mechanical advantage they provide at low speeds comes from the slippage of the fluid coupling which allows the car to always move forward without the brake applied. Unless the car does not generate enough torque to over come gravity, in which case it will still roll backwards.

If I was not satisfied with the car I would either have never bought one in the first place, or tried to sell it as soon as possible

What does not beinging satisfied with the car i would never have bought it in the first place mean. Dont you have to buy the car first. Its not the same car i bought in the first place anyway . Ford has changed the program twice already . Get with it before you reply to my post or better yet get lost.You have nothing better to do with your life than argue with people. GLTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #1252
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
If I was not satisfied with the car I would either have never bought one in the first place, or tried to sell it as soon as possible

What does not beinging satisfied with the car i would never have bought it in the first place mean. Dont you have to buy the car first. Its not the same car i bought in the first place anyway . Ford has changed the program twice already . Get with it before you reply to my post or better yet get lost.You have nothing better to do with your life than argue with people. GLTY
You don't have to buy a car prior to deciding if its possible that you can live with that particular type of car over its competitive set. Having driven several of the competition during the decision phase the results always pointed to the Focus as being the car I most wanted to drive time and again. It's plain to see that in your case at least the software updates haven't helped your perception of the car. If the earlier update was really more to your taste then fine. However its been reported that the shift points have not really moved, just people's perception of them has. Your mileage may vary both in terms of fuel economy, but also performance and driving experience.

The hardware that makes up your car is no different from when you initially bought it, so to say it was a completely different car now is kind of silly, that's like saying I bought a computer with windows or mac software on it, but as soon as a software update comes out its a whole new computer and not the same one you initially bought.

I did not intend to argue, but to point out that not everyone has had the same negative experiences that you have. The latest update seems to have made the car more responsive for most people. There may be a few cases in which this is not the case, but this may either again be due to a poor dealer service department not properly performing the update, customer expectations not being met, or any other factors you can imagine.

I understand that the clutch chatter issue in some of the earlier software would be a real mechanical issue if allowed to continue. That being said however if the software updates have improved the function of the mechatronics used to control the automated manual's ability to emulate a torque converter based planetary gearset automatic they would be sacrificing the performance and fuel economy advantage of the dry dual clutch system over a normal automatic for the sake of customer satisfaction.

With varying drivers comes different expectations. I think that at least in part the problems that people have with the car were genuinely having issues. However a certain subset of these reported issues seem to stem more from customer expectations. If you drove a manual and were in the highest gear trying to maintain the minimum rpm for the power required to travel at a certain speed you would also need to change down a gear or more in order to accelerate more rapidly. The DCT might act similarly in the name of fuel economy if you're using only light throttle applications. If you're taking your foot on and off the gas constantly at light throttle applications and getting it to shift all the time that may have more to do with your driving environment than the car itself.

Ford did have a perception problem in that they were allowing the dealers to paint the gearbox as being a normal automatic and saying that it should be driven as such. It is automated, but at least when setting off you do need to be aware that it is not a regular automatic, particularly in heavy stop and go traffic. If the first gear clutch is constantly allowed to go through the initial slip of pulling the car forward a few feet while waiting at a traffic light or in heavy stop and go traffic there is a risk of damage due to over heating and extreme wear, where as the torque converter will allow for some constant slippage and forward torque to be applied through a fluid medium rather than directly across a friction disk.

I try not to make blanket statements about the transmission or indeed anything about the car. My personal experiences have been great, but not everyone is so fortunate. I'm personally glad I didn't order MFT as I don't think I would enjoy having a system that only half works, but that would be just a software re-write away from being a good system.

I should get lost on the basis that I'm trying to help others and present facts and figures rather than a load of hysteria? No thank you.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #1253
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Suss, you mean well but too many words man. I can see where allyy is coming from, my shudder issue developed after several hundred miles. No test drive would've revealed it and once it was revealed I was stuck with the car.

Most of you persist that this is strictly a Perception issue. It's not in every case. Allyy may have a real issue that Ford is continually failing to fix. Though it's clear after the latest update that he's in the small minority now.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #1254
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
I agree i have the base trans d and L this update after 3000 miles is back the same way.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1255
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
If anybody is following me, I had my car flashed after the 10,000km service (12B37) with bad results (jerkiness, sluggish feel, shift hesitation).

Took it to another dealer (to fix a steering gear problem) and they suggested to reflash the transmission (12B37) again. They followed the re-learning pattern and my car is shifting perfectly. Just a heads up for anyone having problems with this new update, make sure that your dealer takes the time to go through the re-learning procedure. I am guessing the other dealer didn't go through it.

:)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #1256
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
Hey Guys I got a used 2012 Ford Focus which I bought last week. Manufacture date is June 2011

When I was test driving it, I didn't notice a shudder in the tranny. However yesterday when I was stuck in a traffic jam where we were barely moving, I noticed a shuddering issue in how it shifts.

I guess I shouldn't assume that a used car had the update done.

I will try to bring the car in for service to update the firmware. Once I get it scheduled, I'll try to report back on the results.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #1257
allyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
Hey Guys I got a used 2012 Ford Focus which I bought last week. Manufacture date is June 2011

When I was test driving it, I didn't notice a shudder in the tranny. However yesterday when I was stuck in a traffic jam where we were barely moving, I noticed a shuddering issue in how it shifts.

I will try to bring the car in for service to update the firmware. Once I get it scheduled, I'll try to report back on the results.
Maybe thet already did it before you picked up the car.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #1258
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post

see if it chatters in gears 3 and 5 when it chatters in 1st, if you may accelerate in a break in traffic. Will point to the clutch, if it does.

Anyway, it should be looked at to see if there's an issue, for sure.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #1259
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Mine has actually smoothed out over the past few days. I think it just decides what mood it wants to be in.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #1260
allyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl2012 View Post
I agree i have the base trans d and L this update after 3000 miles is back the same way.
Base model just cant handle the update well,maybe its the firmware in it

Bookmarks & Social Networks